It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: new here
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey there....Thought id drop an introduction. Name is Thom, been on subs for 5 years, im on film at 6-8mg/day...before that i had an 8 year habit of any opiate around....Subs have been the savior of my life....I know i am still on something but I am the dad, husband, worker i wanted to be...Today i can honestly say I will never go back to the days before subs...NEVER..I have burnt every bridge i had...Now why am i here....After 5 years, im torn, stay on for life or try to go off and life substance free..In june 2013 I have a 2 week vacation, one week at home then the next week in Cancun..Ive been kicking the idea of tapering til then...And see what happens...Im hoping to be help on this forum, if i can get into it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi Thom and Welcome to the forum!!!! Wow, you have come such a long way, and it's always great to hear a success
story such as yours.

Hmmm, to stay on or not to stay on... That is such an individual choice, and such a unique decision for every addict. I know for me, that I have been back and forth on what I will do. And I still have no idea where I stand. If I were you, I would do this.
I would really really think about the reasons that I wanted to stop taking suboxone. Make a list even to help you remember.
Then I would do the same thing with the reasons why I wanted to stay on. Maybe talk to your wife about the reasons for
going either way, and get as much imput from the people in your life that you care about, and that care about you.

If you do decide to taper and jump, it sounds like you will definitely have the perfect opportunity to do so next year. Although
I don't know if I'd wanna waste a trip to Cancun being sick... :lol: just kidding. That would actually probably be one of the
most relaxing environments to do it in. No job, no stress, no shoes, just sand and water....sounds nice.

I would do what you are doing and just keep on asking the people that have been on it, and off of it. Ask them what the
advantages and disadvantages of both were, and were they happy? There are two sections on this forum that could help
you with that until you get some responses from some members. There is the Stopping suboxone section, and the Bupe in
the rearview mirror section. Both of those have stories about people who have jumped off and stayed off, and people who
are currently tapering. That way you would know what to expect.

I hope that this helped you some. Good Luck to you in what ever decision you make. I am confident that you will find the
support that you need here. No matter which direction you choose to go. Take care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:39 pm 

Welcome, Thom, and congratulations for turning your life around. Most of us here recognize the night and day difference between using and taking your prescribed suboxone. Yes, you still have an opiate in your system, but you are now a functioning, productive adult who takes care of his family. That should feel fantastic! Remember, you don't have to make any decision regarding your future with sub at this time. Don't put that kind of pressure on yourself!

Stick with us and we'll try to help in any way we can.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:43 pm 

Welcome to the forum Thom. We have had several people decide to get off of it after many a year. The decision has to be up to you, and it has to feel concrete if you expect to succeed. Most have said that they just knew it was time to leave it. I've been on it over 2 years and feel the same way as you. I seem to be waiting for some sign that will tell me it's time to quit.

And what goinstrong said about ruining a nice vacation is something you need to think about. Most others who stop do so at home with comfort meds and exercise. But maybe your right, keeping your mind busy might work better. Just make sure you taper down to a very low dose before jumping off it.

Once again, Welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI

while your pondering whether or not you'll taper off..........
there's a few threads I recomend to everyone deciding HOW to taper,,,, meaning whether they taper to a 'microdose' or jump at a higher dose..........

heres a favorite around here, by "diary of a quitter" mostly, but other members give quite a bit of experience in it, too
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296

heres a thread with someone who jumped from a pretty high dose, its def worth the time to read

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5965

And here's a fairly new idea, somebody just posted about the other day.......

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7449

Hope this helps, with your decision process.
I think its definitely a decision each person has to make for themselves,,,,
and definitely if you do decide to taper/jump make sure you have lots of 'support' lined up.
meaning, a group if you want, maybe a therapist, good friends to lean on, or vent to at least!!
Im probably NOT telling you anything you haven't thought about, LOL

On the other hand, for me, staying on suboxone, definitely isn't a 'bad' thing. . . it doesn't bother me too much at this point.
I just had to start paying 100% outta pocket again, but my doctor said we can talk about generic bupe, so I dont know. I dont think Im ready.

Please know there IS lots of support here, with people who've been in your shoes, even the ones that haven't tapered (like me) still try to be very supportive to people that need it, or are tapering............

Good Luck on your decision making process, and MOST
of all, whatever you decide in the end, :D :D :D

either way, we're here for ya

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thanks for the welcome....If i do this, i will for sure be at a lower dose then the 8mg im on now...Im just tired..My tongues underside is all ate to hell, i have had this since the start of the subs...I hate when i leave home and forget to bring my subs with, and if i dont have them with in reach, im uneasy....Its just time.....it was time last year but i decided against it...I have the 2 weeks off this year and im thinking ill give it a go, one week at home and one week at the beach....If it doesnt feel right, then ill go back on...
I have not 1 regret on them.....I needed these years away from the streets...My insurance is good to go for as long as i need, but im just wanting the freedom. Well see, ill keep coming back to the site, ive read a good bit already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:17 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone,
How are you all?i am newbie here.i like this forum and want to say welcome to all who's join newly to this board.
I hope so you enjoy your stay here.All the best...

Post subject: Welcome Thom!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well Thom, good luck. I hope you find your answer. Hopefully, you will NOT find anyone on here that tries to push you either way. This place has been a godsend for me! I'm at day 27 or 28( kinda lost count over the last few days). I am guessing that is a good thing. My only advice to you would be don't try to put a time frame on your being "ready" to be ok after stopping the subox. It took a hell of a lot longer than 2 weeks for me but I jumped ship at 8mg/day. And yes, it was a rash decision, but I'm making it. It is different but the same for all of us. Read the symptoms of what you have ahead of you so you know what to expect. I have read a number of accounts of people tapering and not having it as bad as I did. Good luck whichever way you go! And welcome!...D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

payrion wrote:
thanks for the welcome....If i do this, i will for sure be at a lower dose then the 8mg im on now...Im just tired..My tongues underside is all ate to hell, i have had this since the start of the subs...I hate when i leave home and forget to bring my subs with, and if i dont have them with in reach, im uneasy....Its just time.....it was time last year but i decided against it...I have the 2 weeks off this year and im thinking ill give it a go, one week at home and one week at the beach....If it doesnt feel right, then ill go back on...
I have not 1 regret on them.....I needed these years away from the streets...My insurance is good to go for as long as i need, but im just wanting the freedom. Well see, ill keep coming back to the site, ive read a good bit already...

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi there, I think that you are doing the best thing that you can do for yourself. You're attitude approaching this,
is actually going to get you far. You sound good. You aren't putting so much pressure on yourself, that if you
AREN'T able to jump, that you'll be disappointed. I think that you are going to be fine either way.
I totally understand where you are coming from with your tongue!! I hate that sore feeling under my tongue.
I don't get that uneasy feeling though, when I am not at home, or within reach of my subs. That has been one
of the freeing things for me. But everyone is different.

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide to do! I'm here to support you whichever way you decide to go!
Oh yeah, enjoy that vacation too!!!! :D [/font]