It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: HI, new here!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well, my story is pretty long. As I;m sure everyone's is. My addiction start in 01 when I was prescribed percoset for an abscessed tooth and then during root canals and wisdom tooth abstraction and other dental problems I was always being prescribed some kind of narcotic. It hadn't gotten THAT out of hand at that point so I was able to stop with mild withdrawals.
So I ended up in 2004 getting back on Vicodin and percoset b/c of ovarian cysts. I kept getting them and they were very painful. Around the same time my husband herniated two discs in his back so he was also being prescribed the same meds. At this time I was going to school to become a medical asst. Kinda ironic huh? Well, I started working as a MA in a family dr office. I hid my addiction very well, as most addicts do and of course I was in denial. Well, I started calling in Vicodin in massive quantities for my husband and myself b/c our tolerance had gotten so high, the meds we were getting prescribed weren't enough.
Well, this went on for about 7 or so months, until one day I got caught. I don't know how but I obviously lost my job and ended up doing 28 days jail time. This was in 07. You would think that would stop me! HA! It was the worst experience of my life. I missed my 2 boys every day to the point it hurt more than anything in the world. I felt the worst failure of a mother. So, when I got out of prison I was clean for awhile. I got preg with my daughter and started having AWFUL migraines. When you are preg you can't take the traditional migraine meds. So they prescribed me Tylenol with codeine. I actually did Ok with it. I took it how it was prescribed cause I didn't want to hurt my baby and thought I was doing fine. Until after I had my daughter and realized I could no longer get any and I was miserable without it. UGH! So I found a dr to prescribe me percoset for my migraines. I also started getting horrible leg pain from being diabetic. So I was taking it for that too. Anyway to make a long story short, I had to change dr's for insurance reasons and my new dr would NOT give me anything as far as pain pills. I had finally got to the point where I couldn't take my addiction anymore and called a suboxone dr. It was the best decision I ever made. But now I have to taper off it and Im having a hard time doing that. My dr said I can do it as slow as I want. But Im freaking out over it. Im supposed to be down to one and a half by now but I haven't yet. Im scared. I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi RTLmom and welcome to a great forum. You'll find wonderfully supportive people as well as great resources here. We're happy to have you here.

You've been through so much. I want to thank you for sharing your story. May I ask, why do you have to taper off the suboxone? It sounds like you just started...How long have you been on it and when does your doctor expect you to be off of it? Lately more and more people are staying on suboxone for long term maintenance. And I'm curious, how does the suboxone handle your diabetic pain? I've heard it's good for neuropathic pain. I take suboxone for my addiction as well as for chronic pain. Because of my addiction I really have no other options for pain control than to stay on the sub. I understand your fear of tapering down. Perhaps you're not ready just yet?

Again, welcome and please keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have been on Sub since May 26 2009, so almost a year. It helps my diabetic pain a lot! My dr is just pressuring me to come off of it. And to be honest, I have to. I was on the patient asst program but that just ended and I can not afford to stay on it. My husband and I are both unemployed. His UC just ended so we (a family of 5 ) will be living off of just my bi weekly UC and half of that will go to the Suboxone every two weeks. So that leaves enough for food and gas and I have no clue how we are going to pay the bills yet. My husband is very eager to go back to work but there is just nothing out there. We are both constantly applying for jobs but nothing! It's really hard. I just pray every day something turns up. If I can at least get down to one a day instead of 2 a day, it would be $250 cheaper a month. IDK, my dr just says most people are ready to come off a 1 yr so he has just really been pressuring me. Some days I feel totally ready then I have days were I can't imagine being off of it. Thanks for the welcome!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand - you are in a tough spot. If you have to go off the sub, the most important thing is to taper off very slowly and over a long period to reduce your discomfort. There are many threads here about tapering off. I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck on the job front and keep posting!

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:13 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi...welcome to the forum!! Thanks you for sharing your story....it's amazing that, after all you went through, you were stong enough to make the decision to seek help.

I was reading your post, and it sounds like you are on the brand name subooxone (based on the price you mentioned). I was wondering if your doctor would consider letting you switch to the generic Subutex, as it is quite a lot less expensive. I have been on it for a little over a month, and it works great for me.

In the mean time, are you doing any counseling, NA, or other support groups? This may become even more important if you do have to go off the Sub.

Take care!

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:21 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I will ask him about subutex. He seems pretty understanding so hopefully he will go for it. I haven't done any counseling or anything b/c once I was about to get started on it I lost my health insurance and my job. So, yeah, thats another scary part to it. I really should be going to NA or something, but with 3 kids its hard to find time for much....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 am 
Hi, welcome to the forum - you will find lots of supportive people here. It's a shame you have to come off Sub when you're doing so well on it. I know of people who have tapered sucessfully to 4 mg/day and been able to maintain on that dose. That would be 1/4 of your current expense and might be a better compromise than going off totally.
Best of luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also have ovarian cysts, they are very, very painful. But pain meds really don't help with the pain...which I am sure you found out. I was diagnosed at the young age of 12, I collapsed in a restaurant & was taken out by ambulance...yes it was that bad & continued to be. I was too young for pain meds, so they put me on birth control pills & believe it or not, imodium. Imodium helps control all of the lower muscles, including the ovaries! The birth control helped, but when I would fall over in pain, I would take a few imodium & it helped. I have heard people get addicted to it too, though I can't imagine myself wanting to be "stopped up" forever. But I would talk to your ob/gyn & try that route. I know the pain is debilitating, but it will at least lessen it. I now have 4 kids, & I am not sure if that helped, but my ruptures don't happen nearly as much as they did before pregnancy....but they still happen & when they do I take some Ibuprofen & Imodium since I don't use birth control anymore. I know my reply has nothing to do with subs, but I have been in your shoes & I know your pain. Stay strong...hopefully yours 'only' ruptures once a month like mine! When I said 'only once a month' I say that with love & a smile. Stay strong honey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am grateful to you for sharing your story too! I understand your financial need to get off sub or at least get on subutex which I hear is less expensive. My Sub Dr WILL NOT rx subutex bc he said it leaves the chance "to cheat" open. I feel I won't sheat but he's in charge. Which leaves me with this question> "Why would a decent addiction Doc pressure someone to come off Sub? What does it matter if they are off or on it? Dr J?? can you shed a light on this?
In the meantime, hang tough and do what makes YOU comfortable in your recovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for all the replies!

Well I can't take birth control pills cause they make me a hormonal whack job. And give me nasty head aches. Which is why my tubes are tied, which in turn gives me more cysts. So yeah, I pretty much get them every month when I ovulate. It sucks. This month it wasn't that bad though, thank god. As for the immodium Im already stopped up majorly. But, thank you for the suggestions! They are wonderful, you learn something new every day!