It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New here
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[color=#408040]Hello, I am new here and would like to introduce myself. Over 2 years ago I was put on Soboxone for a pain pill addiction. I am positive I would have committed suicide if I hadn't had this drug to assist me in getting clean. My doctors were cutting me off the pain pills and without something I know I would not have been able to tolerate the withdrawal. I was only able to stay on Soboxone for 2 mo because it caused me to have such severe water retention and leg swelling. I ended up in the hospital for heart failure. I take Subutex instead. The reason why I randomly decided to join this site to tell my story is because after over 2 years clean I had a slip up and drank some alcohol. I don't know how or why but I feel that my being on Sub's helped me to get back on track very quickly. While on Subutex I don't have thought's of needing pills or booze. I don't constantly think of myself as an addict. It's the strangest thing. I'm here to learn all that I can about this topic as in some ways this drug has been a miracle for me.

Last edited by MNBelindaP on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New here
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:50 pm 

Hi, Welcome! I too have some serious swelling in my ankles and feet. I have my heart checked regularly as a precaution. I was prone to swelling prior to suboxone so...I don't know??? Anyway, do I undestand you correctly in saying that you are on subutex and had a drink and that represents a relapse for you? My drug of choice was tramadol or any opioid that I could get my hands on! I never had an issue with alcohol and will occasionally have a glass of wine or a mixed drink now while on suboxone. I was never told not to drink on suboxone and actually my doc has said that a drink or two is fine. I have never liked the effects of too much alcohol and don't feel that it would be a problem for me. I am wondering if alcohol was a problem for you in the past? Then I would completely understand your concern. Please, stick around and keep us posted as to how you are doing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply. My original DOC was alcohol. I got sober from booze and then got hooked on pain pills. To make a short story long lol .... recently I was pulled over for driving "intoxicated" when I was stone cold sober. I crossed the center line while driving. I had my meds with me in the car (Subutex etc. ) The police started hounding me on if I had taken them. Duh... yes I have... I'm prescribed them. :oops: They had me to do those sobriety tests. Because I hadn't been drinking I blew a zero... but when they asked me to walk heal to toe I failed. I was nervous and frankly walking heal to toe with your hands at your side isn't that easy. Next thing I knew I was in handcuffs..... I was devastated because I've been clean and sober since March 9, 2014. The next day I mentally said screw it and decided to drink. "Might as well drink if I'm going to get arrested for it." This led to me being sexually assaulted because I ended up blacking out. This past month has been very difficult. My doctor says the drinking that day would be considered a slip not a relapse in SMART Recovery... but I still feel like I threw all that time away I earned. I haven't wanted to drink again... or use since the event... which I feel the Subutex has had a part to play in just how well I've bounced back.

As far as the leg swelling.... yes... Soboxone was awful for me. I ended up in the hospital because the water retention ended up in my lungs too. In treatment we were told that this would go away... but I saw patients who had water retention the entire time they were on Soboxone. My Dr has me on Subutex instead because apparently it's the other drug in Soboxone that causes the swelling. That drug is really only in there just to prevent a person from wanting to inject it.... but I never had issues with that anyway. I wish more doctors would just allow the Subutex. Why put your heart under so much stress by excessive water retention?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll just toss in here that it isn't quite that straightforward. I don't know why, exactly, Suboxone did something that buprenorphine did not (Subutex was removed from the market years ago, but most people say that referring to plain buprenorphine). Injections of IV narcan can cause pulmonary edema, but the hemodynamice changes from the timy amount of narcan absorbed from Suboxone are minor. Some people here have posted to complain about edema from Suboxone!

Whatever the case, I'm glad you found something working well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:46 am 

MNBelindaP,

One, welcome to the forum! Two, fight the DUI with everything you have. If you do a little research about the medication it says that once a person acclimates to it then it would not prohibit them from driving or operating machinery. I believe I read that on the pamphlet inside my Suboxone film boxes but the information should be very easy to find. If you have trouble, PM me and I'll find it for you. Then you print it out and take it to court and get this charge dismissed.

Thing is, you've been on it for over 2 years! It normally takes only a few days or weeks for the medication to stop giving you any mental impairment, if it did ever at all in the beginning. The only time I probably shouldn't have drove on it was when my doctor first inducted me. It was just too much so I felt buzzed. After a few days I cut my dose in half and that stopped the mental fog, albeit very minor.

Please don't take this lying down. Many pain patients are just fine taking morphine as prescribed if they know deep down it has no effect on their mental abilities. Same with Hydrocodone and Oxycodone. When I was on Oxy's many years ago due to an injury, I swear I never felt anything from them. And yes, I took them as prescribed. That was my pre-addiction period.

Keep us updated on how it goes. Glad you found the site.

rule62

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I appreciate your response! Many years ago I was pulled over and they slapped me with a DUI for driving on my prescribed pain meds. In MN even if it's prescribed it's illegal. Pissed me off! Now that I have this on my record anytime I gett pulled over they always question me. I had just filled all my meds and of course I was accused of intoxication. I don't know if the blood work will show subutex. I never feel intoxicated after I take my meds. I'm somewhat worried because once you get a record it's very hard to just make a simple mistake. Yes I will fight it because this crap ends up on my criminal record and it's made it impossible for me to get a teaching job. I will keep you updated. I'm waiting for notice of those results. Scary