It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Did you experience fluid retention due to Soboxone?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm
Yes--Severe 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Yes--Moderate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes--Mild 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No--None 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: New here
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, my name is Belinda. I am an addict who has been addicted mainly to pain pills. In April, I was put on Soboxone. It really has been an amazing drug for me and my recovery. I have been clean since March 7th, 2014. I am no longer on Soboxone... I take Subutex. I suffered some serious leg edema due to the med. I have congestive heart failure and cannot afford to retain too much water. I don't know if this is a common thing... but several people in treatment had swollen legs due to the Soboxone. I gained 25 pounds in the first 6 days of being on it. I don't have this side effect with the Subutex. Anyway... I look forward to getting to know everyone. I live in Central Minnesota and my doctor is Dr. McLure at Recovery Plus in St. Cloud MN. He is only there 1 day a week and is taking new patients. He has been the only doctor I could find and they didn't even want to take me because I didn't go to treatment at their treatment center. He did just take on my friend as a new patient... so I know he is open to more patients. Amazing, loving and caring doctor.This doctor is 60 miles away from me... but the next closest doctor is over 110 miles + :evil:

Post subject: Re: New here
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Belinda,

Glad to have you here. Sorry you had a bad experience with suboxone. I take subutex now as well, but started out on suboxone, but didn't have any fluid retention problems, just switched for cost reasons. Glad you got it worked out, and the subutex is working well for you. I understand how tough it is to have a long drive to the sub doc. I drive 2 hours. :( but it is what it is, I guess! I'm just glad to have a dr, as I'm sure you are. Thanks for letting others know about your doctor accepting patients. There are many people waiting for an opening due to the 100 patient cap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome Lizzie. While in treatment, I was not the only person who got the swelling. The edema happened in my first week in treatment, which ended up landing me in ICU with my lungs full of fluid. I had heart failure and didn't know it. The Soboxone didn't cause the heart failure.... It just made my medical condition worse. Dr. Mclure does not want to take chances with my heart so we switched to subutex. I'm getting the same results.... :)

I'm excited about this website. Dr. Mclure gives out this website to all his new patients. He also gives out a site that's against Soboxone. He wants all his patients to know both sides of thinking regarding replacement therapy. I love that about him.... he writes down a bunch of websites so that his patients can make an informed decisions.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like you have a great doctor! That makes a huge difference in overall treatment. If you're able to and interested visit http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com too. It's a blog written by the founding doctor of this website. Chock full of great info about buprenorphine and addiction. Stick around, keep posting and asking questions if you've got any.

Elizabeth