It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: new here
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello im a 47year old man. I live in Western PA. Been on subs for 8 years, but down to 3 mg. daily. I plan to keep tapering on a 10% plan to be off before end of year. Have recently had some bad experiences with my dr ordering lab tests for thousands of dollars and came looking for ideas here. Ill post on the specifics soon.

Post subject: Re: new here
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh, and also I am an addict. Not a dependent. I have abused opioids in all forms for 25 years. Ive been to rehab 7 times in my life and now know I'm gonna be done for good this time. Not to brag but I have come along way with my ability to cope wo drugs. I know it isn't and won't be easy and will need support to get to my goals. Not to mention the pain and costs I have caused myself and family.
I have not abused any other drugs in 4 years. So looking forward to being off subs and making the best of the rest of my life. I used to think I was a lifer but feel this is my best road toward recovery now, for me. Hope I can be of some help to others here. S

Last edited by swbupe on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

swbupe wrote:
Oh, and also I am an addict. Not a dependent. I have abused opioids in all forms for 25 years. Ive been to rehab 7 times in my life and now know I'm gonna be done for good this time. Not to brag but I have come along way with my ability to cope wo drugs. Not to mention the pain and costs I have caused myself and family.
I have not abused any other drugs in 4 years. So looking forward to being off subs and making the best of the rest of my life. Hope I can be of some help to others here.

Good for you SWB.

Welcome to the forum.

-- ji

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Have recently had some bad experiences with my dr ordering lab tests for thousands of dollars and came looking for ideas here

Would you care to share what was done and why? Did you have quantitative urine drug analysis? That is expensive, and rarely called for. The doctor should be able to give you a rational reason for ordering any lab or imaging. What was the reaction when you told them how much the testing was costing?
thanks for posting

PAX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will share, I didnt know which thread to post on I guess the mods can move it later to the Damn doc area cause thats what I've been saying alot!

Anyhow ill let you know a few things. I have been with this Dr. now for 3 years. I pay $ 175.00 monthly, a flat fee which always included random tests that I got maybe every 3 months. I still have to see him monthly. I have never had a dirty or missed appt. I thought when they started testing me monthly, about 9 months ago, it was just to be certain we were all clean and on track. There was never mention of an increase of costs for testing. Im like wow this place really cares, spending extra money and there time to make sure were all clean!! I have a great relationship with someone who cares about me more than a number, at least thats what I thought then. I have not been back to see him since I found the bills. My doctor-patient relationship feels pretty ruined at this point. Now to the events.

My last visit in the waiting room I hear a couple patients talking about getting these huge bills for lab testing. " That sucks", did you talk to them?" " No I have insurance". The other " I don't have insurance" I asked the office mgr. about them and they said "Well just ignore them then, (the bills)" She is pissed.I said I dont blame you. So later I think about this and go home and you guessed it I find these envelopes that say "Millennium Labs. Open to find several from each month with 25 test codes for, drum roll, not a typo $ 1,188.55 and another month $530.19. Now I don't have insurance but I guess they have just done this to everyone in the practice insurance or not. So I go online to the labs website and look up my patient ID and find to my horror the past 9 months they have sent it to the lab for a custom profile! Even though, and I have the receipts showing the record of point of care tests each month showing negative for all substances and positive bupe. Total of my bills with Millinium, next drumroll, NOT A TYPO, $7,336.50 !!!! I never dreamed they were sending it in every month for a full spectrum anaylisis. Is this one of the scams I heard of where they give the Doctor free supplies and some sort of hidden kickbacks for for ordering these tests? What else could they gain from it? Maybe some of you docs or healthcare workers have heard their sales pitches?? I did research and many of these labs have had lawsuits filed aginst them in Florida for this crap. Over charging and being in cahoots with the Docs in ordering them. I also read it was illegal for them to do on site or POCT test then send in anyhow for these custom tests. The shit is going to hit the fan on my next visit. Do I have the right to refuse a urine test to be sent in again for a thousand dollars? And demand an in house test only? Also, on all of my receipts where it says patient authorization and healthcare provider signature. There are none. I never signed it and it shows my negative results for the urine test.

Sorry the vent, but dont know where to start on this. By the way the office e manager is a witch who looks down her nose at us and oozes hate for addicts. She couldn't have cared less about the girls problem with these bills. I think I should refuse my next test and say I need to talk to the doc first with all these bills to show him. And what is the criteria they use since I've been there three years with never a problem. I won't call them ahead so they can think up some stupid excuse like the dea makes them test everyone so extensively. If I wasn't so close to the end of my taper, I would find another doc. This must be a scam. What do doctors have to gain by being part of a scheme like this ? Thoughts anyone ????

Last edited by swbupe on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BTW, On a positive note, I didn't relapse to active use over this!! I'm very angry, still angry but want to do whats best to stop this for myself, the taxpayers and everyone who's being screwed by these greedy practices. I am sooo looking forward to the day I don't have to take time off work to go wait in an office, sometimes for hours, be overbilled, talked down to, smiled at with fake compassion then go to the pharmacy with someone looking at me like i'm a piece of crap that should be shot or drawn and quartered. Ohh wait, they want to get all the money they can out of me first then flush me down the drain and not be in their society any more. One time I overheard people talking about alot of meth lab busts in our area and that it was because of the suboxone clinic here that draws in all these junkies from out of the area! ??? And everyone nods in agreement. I think I got most of it out now and appologize for my vents. Thanks, SW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey SW, good for you to recognize that stuff like this can be a trigger and to manage it without use.
The clinic I am currently associated with does not use Mellinium, precisely for the reasons you mention. They have a history that some would consider sordid.
If you raise a fuss, (respectfully and humbly of course) I bet the charges will disappear. Whether you pursue it further or not is up to you but could jeopardize your access to suboxone and hence your recovery. A crappy dillema no doubt.
Others have been in similar situations, and I have heard that folks without insurance the charges can be made to disappear. That was the case with the clinic I was previously associated with.
PAX

One time I overheard people talking about alot of meth lab busts in our area and that it was because of the suboxone clinic here that draws in all these junkies from out of the area! ???

I would be sceptical of this, we can only treat 100 patients at a time, and the vast majority I see are excited and grateful to be in recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

docm2 wrote:
Hey SW, good for you to recognize that stuff like this can be a trigger and to manage it without use.
The clinic I am currently associated with does not use Mellinium, precisely for the reasons you mention. They have a history that some would consider sordid.
If you raise a fuss, (respectfully and humbly of course) I bet the charges will disappear. Whether you pursue it further or not is up to you but could jeopardize your access to suboxone and hence your recovery. A crappy dillema no doubt.
Others have been in similar situations, and I have heard that folks without insurance the charges can be made to disappear. That was the case with the clinic I was previously associated with.
PAX

One time I overheard people talking about alot of meth lab busts in our area and that it was because of the suboxone clinic here that draws in all these junkies from out of the area! ???

I would be sceptical of this, we can only treat 100 patients at a time, and the vast majority I see are excited and grateful to be in recovery.

Yes, I know the sub patients have nothing to do with creating meth labs in our area but some people actually believe things because they are not informed and make assumptions that are far from accurate.

Who, in your opinion do I talk to? Millinium or My Doctor office? Or both? Also, can I refuse to have any more sent in and do an in house urine? They should have plenty of results on the full testing for a while now? Thanks for the reply, S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have received these exact same bills from the very same lab and for the exact same amount. It was from my first sub doc. In the beginning they had me coming twice a week and I never had a positive urine. so far I've gotten 20 of these bills for each and every time I went to this place. They sent my urine to this lab EVERY SINGLE TIME I WENT. It was never disclosed to me that negative screens would be sent to an outside lab. Each visit cost me 150.00,and I never even saw the doctor. I peed in a cup , got my script from the nurse,paid the lady at the desk and left. Id like to know what my money paid for then since I'm just now receiving bills from last October thru December. Infuriating, to say the least, and I cannot afford to pay these ridiculous bills. listen close,you can hear my credit rating circling the bowl!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just want to share that the same thing happened to me in NY. Same lab, over $1000. for tests. I was really upset & called the doctor's office. This happened in the third month of treatment. I gave him a copy of the bill & he called the lab. The charges disappeared & i never (so far) got another bill. Now he tests me once in a while because he has to account for the cups the lab gave him.The lab reps know just how many cups they give each doctor & I have to wonder if there is some sort of shady crap going on.

The only reason they send it out is to cover themselves because unfortunately some people have found ways to cover pot and other substances in a simple visual urine screen.

I suggest talking to the Doctor not just the office manager & tell him you can't afford those lab bills. Sometimes there is an attitude about money for sub treatment where the Doctor or staff feel we found money for our drugs so we can find it for them. To me that is ridiculous because recovery is NOT the same & we are supposed to be learning to change old behavior.

If you are not ready to come off sub please try to explain your dilemma to the doctor or find another sub doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

lizzieshug2013 wrote:
I have received these exact same bills from the very same lab and for the exact same amount. It was from my first sub doc. In 'sthe beginning they had me coming twice a week and I never had a positive urine. so far I've gotten 20 of these bills for each and every time I went to this place. They sent my urine to this lab EVERY SINGLE TIME I WENT. It was never disclosed to me that negative screens would be sent to an outside lab. Each visit cost me 150.00,and I never even saw the doctor. I peed in a cup , got my script from the nurse,paid the lady at the desk and left. Id like to know what my money paid for then since I'm just now receiving bills from last October thru December. Infuriating, to say the least, and I cannot afford to pay these ridiculous bills. listen close,you can hear my credit rating circling the bowl!

I understand and sympathize. They never told me either. I just started getting bills too from end of last year and looked up my account on milinniums site and they have been processing these tests for a thousand something each every month for 9 months in a row now. But I've been a long term patient, 3 years and Zero dirty urines, so looking forward to the drs. explanation on this. Even if you did have some dirty tests that doesn't explain 20 of these tests for you. Hope you can get them forgiven. S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi SWB, that lab situation really sucks. Sounds like a scam, but it sounds like you're handling it as well as you can. I hope 'no signature' means no need to make payments.

When I started paying for my own drugs, I couldn't believe the insane markups pharmacies were passing on to medical insurance plans. A pharmacist would hand me a box of 7 Subs pills, and charge a ridiculously high daily dispensing fee, almost $50. The pills themselves were cheap.

I think drug companies and pharmacies (and some addiction docs) are little different in mentality from the guy on the corner selling crack, only diff is that the pharmacy industry has the protection of the law. Can't waste time getting worked up about this, though, just glad I'm done with the rancid prescription opiate biz.

-- ji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One quantitative test I may be able to justify, but several? and no notice?
I have never talked with Millenium so I do not know the arrangements that have been made but I think if you talk to the doctor you may be able to get it 'written off'.
If you are feeling like a crusader perhaps a call to your Congressman or State Attorney General. They are going after suppliers that overcharge for diabetes care supplies, hovercarts etc.
Your anger is understandable, use it to yours and others benefit.
PAX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tiki wrote:
Just want to share that the same thing happened to me in NY. Same lab, over $1000. for tests. I was really upset & called the doctor's office. This happened in the third month of treatment. I gave him a copy of the bill & he called the lab. The charges disappeared & i never (so far) got another bill. Now he tests me once in a while because he has to account for the cups the lab gave him.The lab reps know just how many cups they give each doctor & I have to wonder if there is some sort of shady crap going on.

The only reason they send it out is to cover themselves because unfortunately some people have found ways to cover pot and other substances in a simple visual urine screen.

I suggest talking to the Doctor not just the office manager & tell him you can't afford those lab bills. Sometimes there is an attitude about money for sub treatment where the Doctor or staff feel we found money for our drugs so we can find it for them. To me that is ridiculous because recovery is NOT the same & we are supposed to be learning to change old behavior.

If you are not ready to come off sub please try to explain your dilemma to the doctor or find another sub doctor.

Yeah, I will talk to them for sure. I had/have a plan to taper over next 5 months not related to these incidents but it really makes me motivated to do it even more. I'm not rich and the costs are becoming to great to continue over the long term. I have been on sub for 8 years and its helped in so many ways to get my life back on track but its time for this change. How do they say? " I'm an old head".

I will do my research on this issue of unfair/ over testing and post any links of my findings. This should be brought out in to the light. Thanks everyone, S

Last edited by swbupe on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I never had a urine positive for anything other than buprenorphine, yet each and every visit i was tested in the office and sent in to the lab. They tested for substances that I have never even heard of, and each bill also includes quantitative testing as well. Mandatory 2 appts per week plus group every other thursday, and individual counseling weeklyand I had to drop a urine each visit. I just can't understand why my urine would be sent for such extensive testing sooooooooo many times. The doctor ended up walking it off the office and abandoning all his patients, which frightened me at first but I immediately found another doctor who was much less expensive and only required monthly visits after the first month and no dirty urine screens. I was dissatisfied with the way this place was run. She had a separate waiting room fur sub patients, and was a cold rude woman, happy ending here is that I got fed up and used the physician finder service at naabt.org and found the wonderful dr. I have now. He's apsychistist who specializes in addiction medicine, and the practice is run by thepresident of the north Carolina society of addiction medicine. I'm in an excellent program now, and am quite happy with my treatment. I did however, hear that the first place I went to has closed up shop for good because they couldn't find another doctor. I plan to just call millennium and tell them that I never agreed to all that testing and wasn't aware of it, and am NOT going to pay it. They can clearly see fit themselves that none of my samples were positive for anything but bupe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I never had a urine positive for anything other than buprenorphine, yet each and every visit i was tested in the office and sent in to the lab. They tested for substances that I have never even heard of, and each bill also includes quantitative testing as well. Mandatory 2 appts per week plus group every other thursday, and individual counseling weeklyand I had to drop a urine each visit. I just can't understand why my urine would be sent for such extensive testing sooooooooo many times. The doctor ended up walking it off the office and abandoning all his patients, which frightened me at first but I immediately found another doctor who was much less expensive and only required monthly visits after the first month and no dirty urine screens. I was dissatisfied with the way this place was run. She had a separate waiting room fur sub patients, and was a cold rude woman, happy ending here is that I got fed up and used the physician finder service at naabt.org and found the wonderful dr. I have now. He's a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction medicine, and the practice is run by the President of the North Carolina society of addiction medicine. I'm in an excellent program now, and am quite happy with my treatment. I did however, hear that the first place I went to has closed up shop for good because they couldn't find another doctor. I plan to just call millennium and tell them that I never agreed to all that testing and wasn't aware of it, and am NOT going to pay it. They can clearly see fit themselves that none of my samples were positive for anything but bupe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I never had a urine positive for anything other than buprenorphine, yet each and every visit i was tested in the office and sent in to the lab. They tested for substances that I have never even heard of, and each bill also includes quantitative testing as well. Mandatory 2 appts per week plus group every other thursday, and individual counseling weeklyand I had to drop a urine each visit. I just can't understand why my urine would be sent for such extensive testing sooooooooo many times. The doctor ended up walking it off the office and abandoning all his patients, which frightened me at first but I immediately found another doctor who was much less expensive and only required monthly visits after the first month and no dirty urine screens. I was dissatisfied with the way this place was run. She had a separate waiting room fur sub patients, and was a cold rude woman, happy ending here is that I got fed up and used the physician finder service at naabt.org and found the wonderful dr. I have now. He's a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction medicine, and the practice is run by the President of the North Carolina society of addiction medicine. I'm in an excellent program now, and am quite happy with my treatment. I did however, hear that the first place I went to has closed up shop for good because they couldn't find another doctor. I plan to just call millennium and tell them that I never agreed to all that testing and wasn't aware of it, and am NOT going to pay it. They can clearly see fit themselves that none of my samples were positive for anything but bupe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry mods, didn't mean to double post. Idk what happened there. Just delete the second one please. Thanks. I got a new phone and I'm still learning how to use it and must've hit the submit button more than once

lizzie