It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Evening everyone, I am on 8mg a day. 4 in the morning 4 later in the day. Less is more in my case!

I am an addict always have been always will be. I've been on something almost my entire life. I'm mid 30's. Weed, coke, ecstasy, opiates whatever I could find. I've had up and down periods of using. My most recent thing has been pills! Whatever I could find and as many as I could take. 20-40ish a day for the last 4 years of my life. Starts as many do realizing wow this little pill could ease all of my 'problems' with anxiety/energy work issues, any issues really. I found them to be just great! As time of course goes on and one year turns to the next I realize that maybe I have a problem.. I need them to wake up, go to sleep, before work, just function 'normally'. Taking a day off pills becomes a real problem due to the extreme sickness that follows. I became a liar, cheater, thief, everything I never wanted to be just to get pills! The worst part is I couldn't even see it! All I had to do was take a handful of pills and I was none of those things. Anyway y'all know what I'm saying!! Fast forward 3 years later.. No job, no car, all possessions gone, no interest in loved ones. All I could do, literally, everyday is try and figure out how I was going to get money and how and who was I going to get my pills from. It is a full time job and completely becomes my entire life! Entire life!! Wtf!! How does this happen..
Anyway this path is not a path I walk alone as many many of us have or unfortunately will one day walk.
My 'pill guy' of whom I have essentially bought a house and car told me I might have a problem and asked me if I wanted to try Suboxone. I researched it and thought well let's give it a shot. Not thinking that it would actually work. Hundreds of times being sick made me very skeptical. I tried it and it WORKED!! 1 week no pills! So I scrapped up the last of my money and went to a sub Dr. I am on week 4 now of NO PILLS!! So crazy! I have a lot of work to do to remain off opiates but suboxone takes away all 'sickness' and desire to ever take another pill! I am well aware that Suboxone can also be a deamon however as of today I am very excited to be excited again. Having emotions is not such a bad thing. Free from the slavery of pills. No worries of the day to day hustle of the game. I can wake up and be happy. Happy along with cleaning up a lot of messes I've made along the way.
Thanks for letting me share and letting me read your stories. I hope anyone reading these pages just looking for that key to unlock the door of pill misery will pick up the phone and call a sub Dr. I sometimes wonder how I can afford the next visit but quickly realize I was spending $90-$150 a DAY on pills. The $150 every other week, or longer, for a dr visit isn't so bad after all!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 pm 

Hey T ride,!! Welcome!

Haha, man I loved your post!
I used to write the samething when I first started sub.
Isnt it wonderful to stop that old life I its tracks!!!
Congrats for making it here. Your on your way.
This med helps so many . Wish it was easier to get. Need more drs.

8mgs is a good number. Enough to stop craving and wds. Im on 6mgs this year. Bn on 3 1/2. Doing well.

Keep posting and thanks so much for sharing. Let me recommend Dr junigs Talkzone. Its part of this site. Plus his utube videos. I find it important to learn as much as we csn about the medicine we are taking from a real professional.

Just want to welcome ya!

Razor.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 pm 

Hi T-ride,

Welcome to our forum of recovering addicts/alcoholics. Your story is similar to most of ours with the exception of having your dealer saying you have a problem with pills! That's a good one.

Don't worry so much about the negative effects of taking Suboxone. I've been on it for 4 years and really don't have any complaints. It does make me tired during the day if I'm not keeping busy. As long as I'm doing something I feel good.

Some people say it's a demon but I disagree. It is an opiate replacement drug that is so much better than methadone. Several members here took Sub for years and then one day decided to taper and be done with it. At least 3 that I know of are completely clean and grateful that Suboxone was there to help when they were on the bottom. Isn't it great not to feel cravings? I couldn't believe it until I tried it. Fantastic stuff.

Also, maybe one day you'll be able to find a Sub Dr. who will take insurance. So far I have had two. One in Ca., and one here in NV. My Dr. is a regular family physician who I see for all my health needs. He never pushes me to taper off. I do it myself.

Once again, welcome here and I hope this forum becomes part of your recovery plan.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:55 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

You do want to take the least amount needed though, I've been taking 2-3 mgs of Suboxone for about 6 yrs now , a very difficult med to get off of, so difficult that I quit trying to taper 4 yrs ago , Good luck T-ride , sounds like you were tired of your old lifestyle anyway, Mike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Great to hear. Try to get your dose down to 2-4mg and I would stay there. Don't fall into the trap of staying on a high dose (e.g. > 4-8mg) because it does nothing and is more expensive. Less is more with bup as I am sure you will read. Going below 2mg, though, you will start to feel withdrawel and have cravings; don't set an arbitrary time limit. I have been on 11 years, but don't use me as the example either. If you can taper quickly then you will probably be OK. 4 weeks is too soon to taper. If I had to do it all over again, I was most succesful at lowering my dose DRAMATICALLY at 3 months. I was down to .2mg (yes, .2 then .1 probably - literally was a few crumbs a day) at around 90 days - on my own, but didn't stick with it. But, on the flip side, by doing that, I was able to stabilize my dose at 2-4mg then to 4 within a year that same dose has lasted me 11 years. If you can wean off at 3-4 months - do it! But in 30 days after weaning, make totally certain you have an extra bottle of sub waiting just in case, and tell your doc to keep your slot open for 60 days (even if you need to pay him to do it) while you assess whether you can handle not being on any med.

I think, for 95% of people (and I believe the science totally backs me up) that has had their mu receptors modified by constant flooding of opiates for years, that there is no way to fix that and as such a substitute must be made. That is why methadone and suboxone have higher success rates than abstinence - by a very, very large margin - so don't feel guilty if you wean then in a few weeks just feel like crap and want to use so need to remain on bup for longer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:15 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Great text sublongtime , another good reason to be down to 2-4mgs a day is if you need a medical procedure or get hurt , pain meds help a little .... Just had emergency hernia surgery and kept the fact I was on Suboxone confidential ..... I also believe 4 mgs is the preferred maintenance dose, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

T-ride
I am new to this forum and enjoyed your post. I totally connected to experience and it reminds me of the life I used to live. I was a heavy drug user for many years. It started with alcohol then weed x, acid and large amounts of coke. I later became addicted to opiates. I hit my bottom on opiates and was very fortunate to have survived. The doctors prescribed me suboxone which I immediately described as a miracle drug. No cravings, no high and everything seemed great. I am grateful for the drug because it bought me enough time to get into AA and start my recovery. I was able to get to the causes and conditions of my true disease which was not the drugs but my insane addictive behavior and spiritual bankruptcy. What a later found was that the doctors had lied to me and said suboxone was perfectly safe and ok to stay on for a long period of time. The truth is if you stay on the drug for over a couple of months it becomes virtually impossible to get off. The longer you are on it the harder it is to get off. The withdrawal from subs can take months not days and throws rocks at withdrawal from any other opiate. It is an 800 lb gorilla of an opiate and knocks every other opiate off the receptor. They have never done studies on the effects of long term use. Do yourself a favor and only use the subs to step down off opiates. Otherwise you will be like the thousands of others who have become a slave to the drug.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:03 pm 

Skulldog,

Please don't put the fear into a new person seeking help. Your comments are only "the truth" in your experience, not everyone else's. Some describe having a hard time getting off and others say it was a breeze. One of our own members here who used Suboxone for over 6 years recently tapered and let it go without severe symptoms. She told me it was a cake walk to stop because she tapered down so low. Plus she used the common comfort meds.

This is a verbal warning. You cannot call something "the truth" unless you have scientific evidence to support it. Suboxone effects everyone differently and I guess you're one of those who have trouble with getting off of it. Not me. I've never stopped but did taper from 24 mg's down to 1 mg in about 6-9 months. In that time I never suffered any ill effects from the taper.

In the future just say that "in your experience" this or that happened. We do not allow Suboxone bashing on this site. It is against the rules that are available for reading on the opening page. Please read and comply.

Sorry if this came off harsh. But we take this subject very seriously and don't want to scare away a person who really needs it. One a lighter note:

Welcome to the Forum! Your opinion is valued and respected. Stick around, it is a great place for addicts to chat.

rule62

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Skulldog wrote:
The truth is if you stay on the drug for over a couple of months it becomes virtually impossible to get off. The longer you are on it the harder it is to get off. The withdrawal from subs can take months not days and throws rocks at withdrawal from any other opiate. It is an 800 lb gorilla of an opiate and knocks every other opiate off the receptor. They have never done studies on the effects of long term use. Do yourself a favor and only use the subs to step down off opiates. Otherwise you will be like the thousands of others who have become a slave to the drug.

Just to give another perspective, here is my "truth". I WAS on subs long term (8 yrs) and DID get off (so not impossible). I have detoxed off other opiates and found the sub detox, although longer was much more mild. After about 4-5 days I was really feeling "ok". Since you say no studies have been done on long term effects (and none that I know of), I guess I'm kind of a "Guinea pig" (lol). I went for a pre-op check (vision correction surgery) this week and am 100% healthy. I'm also feeling pretty great mentally. I'm heading towards 3 months clean and still feeling improvements as far as energy (but I am very very active), and although I feel very "clear" minded, I am still noticing improvements in clarity and "awareness" so I guess my brain is still healing/ adjusting.

Mahatma Gandhi