It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I have been reading in this forum for a long time but never signed up to post, however after a couple weeks of reading forum postings, I have not satisfied all the questions I have so I hope that some of you could give me some advice:

A little history if you're interested or if it helps:
I have serious back pain that is substantiated in MRI imaging and getting worse since 2007 and now have been diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis so I have been in pain management for about 6 years. My first pain management doctor prescribed me Subutex for pain - 2mg 4x a day - for about 3 years. I was only 24 and he did not want to give me conventional opiods at that age. That doctor quit managing medications for most of his patients and went to procedures only so I had to find a new doctor and my new doctor wouldn't/couldn't prescribe Subutex and was quite ignorant (as I find most doctors are) about Subutex. He ended up giving me Roxicodone, Fentanyl and Morphine - none of which controlled my pain as well as Subutex. Another long story short, that doctor stopped treating me after I ran out early then showed up with subutex in my system along w/ the other meds.

I really don't feel like dealing with pain management anymore as none of them will give me Subutex and I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to procure some for my pain. I don't want to be painted as an addict in my medical records as I will have pain the rest of my life and I am going to have to go several hours out of town and I don't have a car. Thankfully my medicaid program will take me to my doctor appointment with 3 days notice but that's not practical for weekly meetings that I don't feel I need, I just want Subutex or Suboxone for my pain and pain doctors aren't prescribing it. Any advice on getting an addiction doctor to give me Suboxone or Subutex for pain without making me go through addiction programs or documenting in my records that I abuse opiates?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:34 pm 

Hi Sublimegirl and welcome! I can tell you that suboxone has helped me with pain from osteoarthritis in the knees, depression associated with menopause, and addiction to tramadol that was prescribed for the knee pain. You could try to find a GP in your area. My Doctor was an internest in my area for many years before starting to prescribe suboxone. Good luck to you and I hope that you keep us posted about tour progress!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to the forum,
My Dr. won't prescribe Subutex either. Only to pregnant women. People are abusing Subutex is a big reason why it is so taboo. I wished there were more Dr's coming aboard this disease we have. I just don't think these Dr's know enough about Bupe yet. I know they sure pushed the hell out of the opiates years ago and then all of a sudden, they just started shutting people off their pain meds all at once. This all happened after the military went into Afghanistan and started protecting the poppy fields. Now you only have a choice of Heroin or Suboxone and the Dr's just haven't gotten up to speed yet. Heroin is an epidemic where I live now and there never used to be this problem. I live in a rural area too.
Maybe someday more Dr's will start prescribing it for pain, but for right now it is labeled as an addiction medicine.
Good luck and welcome to the forum
Happy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad Suboxone has helped you in so many ways. It is fantastic for my pain and helped with depression for me as well. I will be glad when more doctors learn about it, I wish it was part of their training, regardless of whether they plan to prescribe it; it would help with the stigma.

I have spent the last 2 hours calling every Suboxone doctor listed on the internet for a city a couple hours away since no one in my town is accepting any patients for Suboxone and after calling about 30 doctors, I only found one that also accepts Medicaid so it looks like I may not have many options anyway. I did find another one doing a clinical trial for an injection every 28 days which I am considering but concerned it may not help my pain as much and that is my main concern, though I do have withdrawals and of course I'd like to avoid those as well. But if the injection didn't help my pain, I'd be moving on. I did schedule an appointment for Wednesday with the place I found and I am going to see if they give any leeway on the weekly visits they want initially since I'm so far away, wish I could find a program with less hoops, but it seems if I want Medicaid to pay I'd be lucky to find someone and there will be hoops.

If anyone has had a different experience finding a doctor who takes Medicaid, I'd love to hear suggestions. I don't really need to go to NA and do weekly counseling, however I am willing to do it in order to prove myself. Just wish this was easier. If I was in withdrawal, I'd be jumping off the walls after this finding a dr fiasco. I feel for those who are dealing with withdrawals and trying to find a doctor to help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Sublime,
You might try calling Pharmacies and see if they know of any Dr's that prescribe it for pain.
Just a thought
Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That's a good idea. I have a couple of pharmacists in town that I really like who don't judge me and know their stuff, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I meant to mention, I did use the referral service with naabt to have a doctor contact me, I did two in fact. One I said I wanted it for pain and the other I did not specify but alluded that I wanted it due to addiction. I am curious to see if I get responses for one reason over another. I will update this thread with any real progress I make. I do have an appointment for next Wednesday however she said I will have two appointments before the doctor tells me if he will or won't give me subs, then will want to see me weekly and put me in NA so it may be a while...This doesn't seem right but I guess if you don't have $400 to throw down for a pill factory then it's this, it seems.