It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi! I'm new here.

I have a 40 degree curvature of my Spine, Oesteopenia in my hips, Degenerative Disc Disease, 2 Bulging Discs and RA.

My pain clinic closed and my Dr retired. I was referred by my family Dr to another clinic, this one is recommending Suboxone. So, I am reaching out to get more info. I'm confused. I've been in constant pain for years and only sleep and get some relief by taking Oxycodone. I'm wondering what will happen with my pain after taking Suboxone? Clearly I will have pain for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your help!

~d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI

you've come to the right place for info on suboxone, but EVERYone is different on whether or not it REALLY helps with pain issues. when my doctor told me that the pain pills were probably making my pain WORSE, I didnt believe it. not one bit.

but honestly,,,,,,, the first two weeks on suboxone, was rough. every bone and muscle in my body was screaming for what it was USED to getting. BUT, after I made it thru that time frame,,,,,,, It really got better.
It does help me alot with back pain. I have bone to bone contact in my lower back and some arthritus going on. workin construction for about 12 years, is real good for that. LOL
Anyways, it doesnt take the pain away completely but it does make it bareable.
theres a pretty common opinion that suboxone's pain relieving abilities are about 4-6 hours after dosing. so people on it for pain, dose multiple times a day. Even if it's a low dose, taking it this way, helps allieviate pain better than once per day dosing.

And I think along with other medications, it can do the job.
I take ibprofen daily, sometimes tylenol. And the doctor writes me for muscle relaxers but I dont take those too often.
Even with all of that, I wake up after about 3/4 hours of sleep, and sleep the rest of the night in the la-z-boy with my feet up. I dont know,,, for some reason that chair helps more than anything else. :wink:

I dont think anyone will be able to tell you 100% one way or another if it'll work for you. but the good thing about suboxone , is you dont have to keep raising your dose, like with other meds.

here's a lil more information.........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls1F6vNhYw[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you, Amber. I appreciate the response and the information. I guess I am just really scared. I've been in constant pain for years and had fought taking any type of pain medication until it got so bad that I had to. Now I feel like the one thing that is helping me might be taken away.

Also, I work for several Drs., who are also research scientists. When I talked to a couple of them about this plan they were very concerned. I have hemochromatosis and they believe that Suboxone is not the correct medication for me to be on because I already have issues with my liver. So, I am really torn about this. Since my appointment last Thursday I haven't been able to think about anything else.

I'm confused and feel alone in all of this. I'm glad I found this forum. :wink:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello DogsFurLife, and welcome to the Forum. I dohave pain issues, but I'd have to say that they are nothing compared to
yours. I kind of agree with what the other doctors have told you regarding sub and your liver/pain.
I'm not so sure that it is the route that I would take either. Then again, I am not a doctor. LOL

I just wanted to let you know that while I was on opiates, the pain in my hip and back, never completely went
away, just eased up a bit. Once I started suboxone, it was like Amber already mentioned. I felt like my entire body
was SCREAMING for about 2 weeks. And then the sub started doing its job for pain. My doctor told me the same thing.
That being on opiates for the amount of time that I was on them, was in fact, making my pain worse. They were right.
My pain is no where near what it was when I was on painkillers. It's so much more bearable (bareable?) now. And the suboxone
does work to minimize, if not relieve it.

I have watched the video Amber posted and it does seem pretty informative. I think that you are on the right path, in seeking
out as much information as you can, before committing to a form of treatment. I wish you the best of Luck, and hope that
you will keep us posted as to what you decide, and how you are doing.

Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks @GoinStrong.

I am now even more confused. I left a message with the PA I saw and told her the concerns. She called but I was in a meeting and she left a message for me stating that they intend on treating me with Suboxone for long term pain management and not as a temporary drug as they know I will likely be in pain the rest of my life.

She also told me that the clinic I am going to has never had an liver issues and that Suboxone is probably better for my liver than the oxycodone I am on. Hmmmm.

I am supposed to taper off the next couple of weeks and have my first appointment on Oct 22 at 8am and then the next morning at 8am again and then another appointment a week later.

I don't know what to do. I have an appointment with my Hematologist this afternoon and will discuss with him.

Interesting, when the PA left the message she told me that the Drs. I was talking to probably thought this was to treat addiction and this is not in my case what they are doing. They are using this as a long-term pain management drug and not for addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hey there DogFurLife...

I just wanted to check in with you and see how your appointment with the hematologist went today. Were you able to get
his/her opinion on suboxone and your liver? Check back in when you have time and let us know how everything went
if you are up to it. I'm curious to know what they think. Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for asking, GoinStrong -

My Hematologist told me there was nothing to worry about and since we do a panel on me every 3-4 mos we will catch anything out of the ordinary and go from there.

So, my first appointment for Sub is on Oct 22 in the morning. The hardest part for me will be next week when I have to ween myself from the oxycodone. On Sun Oct 21 I am not to take any oxy for 24 hours. That is going to be hell for me and I hope I can get through it. The clinic wanted to get me into the hospital to do this but I refused. To be honest, I just cannot miss that time off of work. I am going to be looking for some support next week.

My husband doesn't understand all of the fuss and I really can't get him to understand, so I am alone in this.