It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The doctor on this forum posted this and I have to say How relieved I am to find a place where I can talk about this experience.
I have been on sub for about 2 months now-started at 14mgs and tapered myself down to 2mg now. I was advised to stay on this stuff for like a year but really was just seeking a short-term form of relief until I got some stability down in therapy and a better structure for myself.
I am a full time student and mom-and I finish up this Fall with my classes, graduating next spring after an internship.
Anyway, I am totally FREAKED OUT that I may be pregnant again, and I have read HORROR stories about moms giving birth to low birth weight babies, babies in WITHDRAWAL and stillborns------->I AM NOT OKAY WITH ANY OF THAT!! I also have heard it dries up your milk - NOT OKAY! I breastfed for a year and a half with my other child. This is really creeping me out and I am needing some serious reassurance and advice.

Do I go off it if I find out I am pregnant? My gut tells me YES, but people swear you will lose your baby. While I dont want that, I also don't want a baby to come out deformed, delayed or in withdrawal of all things. I dont want a stressful pregnancy where all I do is WORRY. So I would want to taper off. SOMEONE TELL ME THEY TAPERED OFF DURING PREGNANCY SUCCESSFULLY!! I AM AT 2MG PER DAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all, take a deep breath and CALM DOWN. Next, stop reading the horror stories! There is a whole section here devoted to suboxone and pregnancy. Additionally, check out the many articles the Dr. Junig has written on his blog about pregnancy and suboxone/addiction. They are here: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/category/pregnancy/

The truth is, you are safer staying on a low dose of suboxone throughout the pregnancy than stopping. Putting yourself and thereby the fetus through withdrawals raises the risk of miscarriage - most especially in the first trimester. I've been around this forum for over two years and have never read one story about a stillborn, low birth weight baby, or any other such issues. Yes, some babies do show signs of withdrawals (called NAS), but not all do. In fact most of the stories I've read about on the forum have not shown any symptoms or, nor were they treated for, NAS (that I can recall). There are other women here who have had healthy babies on suboxone and I'm quite sure they will stop by and share their very positive experiences with you.

So please, try to relax. I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Also, Dr. J posted an excellent discussion of Suboxone and pregnancy on the TalkZone blog. You can find it using the search bar. One of the things he points out is even the babies that are diagnosed with NAS may not actually have it. Because of the stigma against addiction in this society, certain "symptoms" like excessive crying that are common to newborns are blamed on the Sub when it may actually NOT be the cause. After doing your research (from reliable sources, please!) you may decide to stay on a low dose of Subutex. You really have to take into account your very short recovery time, coupled with the stress and physical strain of pregnancy. Any dose of Sub is safer than a relapsing mother.

Please try not to freak out (I know it's hard). You didn't say if you wanted another pregnancy, but I hope if you are pregnant you can enjoy it and not worry yourself sick. Hopefully, some of the experienced Sub moms will check in soon to reassure you. Take good care of yourself,
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am also curious as to how to taper with the films. all i see here are the tablets and liquid taper-with the films, i cut mine up into 2mg strips and even smaller than that, id say i could get them down to .5-but that seems like, ridiculous. does it really make THAT much difference? id rather w/d thru hell for a week than drag it out for a year....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oops. I guess the article I was talking about was the same one Hat already posted the link to. I thought the link was to the other pregnancy threads, which would also be worth reading; you will see how other moms have fared. In response to your question, I would ask your doc for the 2mg films. You can more easily cut them down to 0.25mg or less. It probably would be worth going down to smaller doses (you don't have to drag it out too long). The reason is that bupe is given microgram doses for pain. A typical dose is 80 mcg. 1mg of Sub is 1000mcg. So while it doesn't look like much, it's actually pretty significant.

You might want to go from 1 to 0.75 to 0.5 to 0.25 dropping every 5-7 days. That would still be considered a very rapid taper in this community. Just be sure you are really ready to be off. Good luck.

Post subject: wow .
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i cant believe i am not already on the 2mg films.
what a joke! guess ill be talking to the doc about that this week huh?
so then itd be REAL easy to cut them down and taper even to .25.
that sounds like a much easier way to stop than what i am doing now with these 8mg films!!!
thanks everyone! i feel so crazy and do not want to be on this stuff forever. i know everyone says to take your time, but im just through with all the poison in my body!!!!!!

ugh im totally gonna diary my taper here. i will start from 2mg to 1mg in about 2-4 weeks.
cheers!