It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My name is Tiffany, I'm from Houston, Tx. Sorry for not introducing myself the proper way in the introduction thread, but I'm in a bit of a panic!

I'm not sure how far along I am, given the fact that I haven't yet been to the doc due to my insurance having not gone through yet. However if I had to guess, I would say I'm no less than 10 weeks, and no more than 12. I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist for my sub, I'm taking 3-8mg strips a day. I just started on suboxone about 8 months ago, coming off of taking 20+ pain pills a day for about 7 years. I'm definitely doing well with it, and feeling great about bettering myself for my husband and 3 beautiful children. Although here I am now, in this situation that I have absolutely NO CLUE as to how to handle. I've read/heard nothing but horror stories about women on Sub and being pregnant. I'm almost positive that my OB will not agree to the medication, what do I do then? I'm not sure if my Sub doc will even agree to keep seeing me. What do I do? Does anyone know of a Sub doc that is supportive of pregnancy? Also, an OBGYN that will agree to me taking the medication while pregnant? I am desperate to find a doctor for both ... and answers to weather or not it is even safe for me to carry a child full term and stay medicated? Please any advice or referrals to doctors would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't worry. From what I heard from my OB your situation is very common. Tell your sub doctor as soon as you can. He will probably want to switch you to Subutex. It's considered safe from pregnant women. He def won't refuse to see you. I wanted to get off subs as soon as I found out I was pregnant but both my sub dr and my OB were against it. I'm almost seven months now and so far my baby is perfect. I'm sure your will be too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm with soon to be mommy. The first thing you should do is tell your sub doctor that you're pregnant. They should switch you over to subutex. Not necessarily because suboxone (buprenorphine + naloxone) is bad for the baby, but they just don't know enough about Naloxone and will err on the side of caution. Subutex is just plain buprenorhine. I would work with your sub doctor and OB to come up with the best plan for you. They should be able to guide you on what's best for you and your baby. Most people are advised not to taper from that high of a dose, but again, you should be able to get all this info from your doctors.

Your sub doctor might be able to refer you to an OB who is more experienced when it comes to suboxone (or maintenance in general) during pregnancy.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey JaxMommy,

First of all welcome to the forum! Don't worry about skipping the introduction section, I'm not going to report you to the forum etiquette police YET! :lol: (just kidding with you)

I understand how scared you must be. But I want you to take a deep breath and relax. Everything is going to be just fine! Doctors treat pregnant women on suboxone/subutex all the time! And neither one of your doctors are going to refuse to treat you over it. Your regular suboxone doctor will probably want to switch you over to subutex. It is the same as suboxone except it doesn't contain the naloxone. It's deemed to be safer for pregnant women just because there is no need to have that extra substance in the mix to cause any possible issues for your baby.

As for your OB telling you not to take the subs anymore...I don't think that will happen. The risks to your unborn child will be far greater if he/she has to endure the added stress to your body that will be caused by WD than if you continue to take your subs. Most doctors consider subutex safe for use during pregnancy. I really think you will feel much better once you talk to your suboxone doctor. I'm sure they have had to deal with this issue in the past and have a plan in place to deal with unexpected pregnancy during treatment.

I would suggest that you spend some time reading this forum, the Pregnancy section, for more information. And Dr. J's blog, suboxone talk zone has some great articles about it as well. You can find the link to that on the index page of the forum.

Good luck Jaxmommy! Everything is going to be just fine! You are doing the right thing for your child by addressing your addiction and keeping your recovery moving in a positive direction. Don't you feel guilty about it for a minute! We have enough guilt as mothers without having to worry about someone judging us for past mistakes. You just remember to advocate for yourself, and don't let anyone treat you poorly because of the suboxone.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, and give an update when you talk to your doctor.

Q

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys for all of your help so far! At first I was feeling 'o-kay' about all of this, pretty confident that everything would fall into place as it should for any of the many women that have gone through the same thing. UNTIL... my sister talked to her sub doc about it. Now, she has a totally different sub doc than I do, and from what she has told me her doctor is a real stick it to ya kind of b**ch (sorry for my name calling lol) So I'm not sure if what she said is strictly her own opinion or if she speaks for a lot more doctors than I think. My sister mentioned to her that her sister (me) was pregnant and didn't know what to do as far as medicating was concerned. My sister informs me that that was all she needed to say and her doctor quickly replied with.. and I quote... "No No No, if she was my patient she would simply have to stop." My sister then replies "Well what about Subutex... I've heard that some doctors switch their patients to that." "No Nope Nope... I wouldn't be able to medicate her anymore. OH and GOOD LUCK on finding an OB that will sign off on that."

Soooo yea... ever since she told me that I'm like ahhhhhhh freaking out! But I know the only thing I can do is talk to my sub doctor. I was also confused on who I should tell first. My sub doc or my OB. Will one or the other need consent from the other? Jeez.... as you can see my brain is going 90 mph right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would talk to my sub doc first. How's your relationship with them? Are they understanding, or are they like what you described your sisters doc being? I don't think I would get along with her very well....LOL.

Obviously this is a personal choice, either one is fine...but since the sub issue is a big one for you, I would like to know what they think about it first and go from there.

I'm hoping you won't run into any trouble, it really sounds like your sisters doctor is a bitch...and in the minority as far as her opinion of treating patients who are pregnant.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, essentially, your sister's doctor would rather abruptly stop treatment, most likely causing a miscarriage, rather than continuing monitored care for a woman andher baby? Makes sense. :roll:

Glad that's not your doctor! I suggested telling your sub doc right away, because it sounded like you didn't have an OB yet..? Either way, you'll need your sub doctor to know. There is no way around that one, they'll find out eventually, kwim?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your sister's dr sounds very "pleasant". I don't think she knows enough about pregnancy and subs. All the doctors that I saw throughout my pregnancy agree on one thing. It would be VERY dangerous to stop my Subutex while pregnant. First of all there's a risk of miscarriage/early labor caused by WD. If that doesn't happen you're risking a relapse. And how a few of the docs that I saw put it subs are a lot safer than anything you could by on the street if that happens. Besides once the baby's born he or she will need a functioning mom not someone who's main priority is drugs. Tell that to your sub dr if he gives you trouble. Although I don't think he would because if god forbid something happens to your pregnancy because your dr refused to continue your treatment he'll be facing a lawsuit. But if the dr is very stubborn and still refuses to help you can always find another one. Suboxone.com has a directory of drs with a Suboxone license. U can search them by area code. Very convenient. That's how I found my doc and she's been a godsend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow I can"t believe any doctor would refuse to treat someone knowing the risks if they didn't! My doctor was VERY supportive I think he was a little to supportive! I think it would be a little unconstitutional for a doctor to refuse a patient regardless what their opion is. Doctors are suppose to help you not sit there and judge you expecally a suboxone doctor!

My advice is to deffenetly tell your sub doctor if he tries to give you hell and tries to refuse to treat you id deffently look into finding a Dr Asap who will. I know where I come from its impossible to find a sub Dr let alone one who will get you right in most have waiting lists and it takes a good 6-8 months just to get in. If he's not supportive id start calling around and telling them your situation and that you need help NOW! Then id try to find an OB who has treated patients in your situation before and also find a Dr for the baby who has treated babies that are born on subutex. That would be my first steps because you need a group of Dr that can work together.

Hope everything works out