It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys! I think i just posted for 1st time in a really old thread!?! Oops! I've been reading posts here ever since i got on subutex this past Dec. I've been addicted to pain pills for about 5 years but was i guess ud say functioning addict most ly, tried getting sober on my own several times. I wanted to b a normal sober mother and wife soooooo...... bad, but the couple of times i could actually get past the physical withdrawals, it consumed my every thought. It was a living nightmare! I got so sick, up to 20 or more a pills a day, i couldn't even get thru 2 days without giving in just to not call 911. This past thanksgiving, i called a random Dr and told him i have no $, for pills or rehab, but i couldn't live in this HELL anymore so i was going to kill myself. He happened to be an addiction Dr. (An angel from God!) He told me to come to his office immediately, i did. Very long story short, he gave me subdued, which id never heard of, and I've been wonderfully happy and sober ever since. I've even got my family back, husband of 12 years!!! My 2 kids, which i hadn't lost yet, were affected much more than my sick brain realized. We are all back together as a beautiful family after being separated for 2 years! I haven't been this clean for this long since i wad 15, b4 i got hooked on pills i would at LEAST smoke pot nightly. This really has been a miracle drug for me. Of course it takes a lot of work on my part as well but I've been ready for this for so long, sub is exactly what i needed to let my brain LET me put in the other work to stay sober. Confusing but i bet some of u get it. Its only now i realize how much damage I've done to my brain, so much that i know i will need subs for longer than short term. I know cuz i tried coming off them a few weeks ago and after 3 days my brain went right back to that HELL of craving. I hated thinking that way!! Just took my sub and was totally fine again, wondering why the hell would i even think that way! Wow wasn't short story after all, i do have some questions tho but i wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone responds first. Thank you all for caring about one another, and hopefully responding.

Post subject: Pull up a chair
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am 

Hi successfullysober,

I'm glad you found this place and joined up as a member. There is a lot of great info here if you'll just start reading and asking questions.

When you first posted you must have hit the submit button a few times because there were two posts exactly the same. I went ahead and deleted the duplicate after making sure they were both the same.

Congrats on getting your life back in order. We love reading good stories like yours!

So pull up a chair and get comfortable. And go right ahead and ask those questions you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I said Dr gave me subdued, i definitely meant subutex!!!!! Hope to hear from somebody, thx.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your response!! I was a little nervous about posting, don't know why, didn't wanna ramble but i TOTALLY did. My question right now is about my dose. I've been taking 16 mgs a day since new years. I was having cravings and pain issues on 8 mg. But for several weeks I've been extremely tired, like 16 hrs a day tired! So i cut back down to 8 mgs 2 weeks ago and nothings changed. Which is good in that i had no withdrawals and no cravings either. There are a few other issues i have that could b causing this but i have a feeling the sub is not the main reason. Im so newly sober that the addict in me is scared to tell my dr, i don't want him to lower my dose then end up running out cuz i take too much. What are your thoughts on this? I've actually tried taking less and i get cravings, but only for more sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Man i suck at this! On my phone, I'll switch to computer tomorrow. I meant to say that i think the sub IS the main reason for my drowsiness. Its not a nod, its just being tired and able to sleep a LOT. thx again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Successfully..., being overly tired, sleeping more than usual is a pretty common complaint of Sub users. Most of the time, that side effect (and most others for that matter) seem to be dose related. In other words, the higher the dose you're on, the more pronounced the side effects are. And lowering the dose usually lessens the side effects.
I think you said you've been on 16mg a day for a few months and you tried dropping to 8mg for a week or so and it didn't help? You may need to give yourself another week at the lower dose before you notice much of a difference. Sub really builds up in the system over time and when you're on a pretty high dose, it takes a while to feel a dose decrease.
You're definitely not alone. A lot of people seem to go through some changes after being on Sub for a few months. It's kind of like the honeymoon wears off and we begin to notice this or that side effect that we don't like. For some, that means it might be time for a dose adjustment. Others find that they're better off leaving the dose alone and dealing with the side effects, as dose reductions or trying to taper off lead to cravings or relapse.
We are all different and have to kind of figure it out as we go along. Hopefully your doctor will work with you and help you learn what is best. Unfortunately, some doctors don't know much about Sub and we are left to our own devices....that's when places like this forum come in so handy!!
Hope that helps some. Congrats on your success so far! Sounds like you're really doing great aside from the sleep issue....and hey, it could be way worse...like no sleep, right?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, i almost feel guilty complaining. The pros outweigh the cons a million to one for me! Literally that's the only side effects i feel and thinking of all those nights tossing and turning feeling like death helps. I haven't been working for several months due to my addiction so i know that hasn't helped. But i started a job last week and will b working a lot starting tomorrow so wish me luck! Getting up and out of the house will help wonders im sure. I slept only 8 hours last night (poor me!!!) So im getting up to enjoy normal life today!!! Thanks guys!

Post subject: New job
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:14 pm 

Congrats on the new job! I think you'll find that when you keep busy you won't feel drowsy at all from the Sub.

When I first started Sub I had the exact same concerns. Like you, stabilized on 16 mg's, way too tired so I dropped to 8. No side effects either. Went to 4 mg's w/o any issues except still feeling drowsy.

The problem with the doctor is understandable. When I tried to tell him I was on too high of a dose, he would tell me not to change my dose by myself, that he had to do it. Anyway, I kept it at 4 for about a year or so and he thought I was still on 6. Eventually my dose was what he told me to take. Thing is, this doctor didn't like me to mess with the dosage at all so I just did it.

A little over a year of taking it, we moved to a different state. When I saw my new Dr. for the first time I told him I was only on 2 mg's. He prescribed 4, "just in case". Totally different doctors in the way they prescribe.

Just listen to your body and go from there. I dropped slowly and consistently over a year and a half and now am stable at a comfortable dose. Oh, and you know what? It STILL makes me drowsy! As long as I stay busy working or doing something then I don't feel it at all. With others, when they get down to a lower dose the drowsiness goes away. You'll see for yourself.

What else ya got?

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think ur right on the $ yesterday i took my dose, then went to park, and ran some errands. I wasn't drowsy at all, if anything it might have picked me up a little. Or i enjoy this beautiful sober life so much, I've forgotten about natural highs which is kinda how it felt. I've always had a problem with self motivation, that's one of the reasons i would take lortabs, they gave me lots of energy in the beginning. I've learned my mind is more powerful than i thought and i think i can feel the energy and high naturally. Do u seem to get Amy more pain relief from lower than 8 mgs? I still take about 1200 mgs of ibprofen a week and would like to not need that much.