It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello guys. I am new here. I was doing about 150-200mg of Percocet a day for roughly 10 years. Over the weekend my induction took place in a treatment center. I had to stay for 36 hours and they ran a COWS test, and when I scored high enough they started with 4mg of Suboxone strips and then waited 120 minutes and then reran the COWS test and if I scored high enough I got dosed another 4mg. I made it to 8mg and felt fine. They sent me home with 1 strip of 8mg to take as needed at home if my symptoms pop through. I ended up having to take half of that strip around midnight due to cold chills and cramps and just plain withdrawal popping through and after I felt perfect. But I just woke up to get ready to go-to my appointment at the treatment center and to get my dose (I have to starting today, go get my dose every day). And I have cold chills and alight shakiness. Why would 12mg of Suboxone not get me through 24 hours? Surely 12mg is a very very potent dose and a dose that is too much for a lot of people. Even me?? Or do I need more? I guess my main question is...
Why doesn't 12MG last me through the night. I've always noticed that when I wake up medicine has always been metabolized more. Even when I was using. I could use 1 ten mg Percocet and sleep for an hour and I would wake up sick, but if I had stayed awake that time could have doubled and I wouldn't have gotten sick for like 2-3 hours. I see my nurse in an hour so I'll talk to him about my concerns. But I want answers from those of you with experience using it, not just from people with educational experience if that makes sense.

Thank you and sorry for all of my writing mashed together and not in paragraphs I woke up late and I have to be to the treatment center in an hour. Thank you

Eddie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hey Eddie! Welcome.

Well I'd assume 12mg would last u through the night, it's well over the ceiling level. I was used to somewhere around 150 mg of oxycodone at the time of my induction and my doctor prescribed me 16mg a day. It lasted me very well into the next day. I think 12mg would have been fine to. There are ppl who's metabolism is faster than normal, but I don't really know a whole lot about that. Maybe one of our doctors or someone who knows about it will respond soon. I'm sorry I wasn't much help to ya, but did want to say that 12mg, imo should be lasting u with no worries. Maybe ask ur doctor about going up to 16mg and see if that helps.

Congrats on starting ur recovery journey!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or it may be something we call 'tolerance mismatch'. Understand that buprenorphine's maximal effect is about equal to 60 mg of oxycodone per day, far below your tolerance. As Jenn said, metabolism varies from one person to another, and you may benefit from a higher dose. But you also have a high tolerance, so some minor withdrawal symptoms are to be expected.

The good news is that those symptoms go away very quickly, within a couple days. Stick with the program, and you will feel more stable in a day or two.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys for answering. I sure hope they do. I find that at the end of the night I start to feel slightly depressed, lack of energy and cold chills. Nothing major or anything I can't handle but I'm glad to hear that they will subside in a week or so. Either way I can handle that over full blow withdrawals any day. My doctor has a solution that I think will work. 6mg when I wake and 6mg later on in the night. He wants to drop me to 8mg from 12 in 8 weeks. Isn't that a large drop and won't I be really sick from a drop like that after being on them for so long? He then said I can be on 8mg as long as I feel the need. Again thank both of you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First, you're going to be A OK! nothing you said is a worry. while it may still seem too early to really feel and understand, welcome to your new life on bup! Much much much respect and congrats to you for getting on and starting bup. Be sure to stay on at least => 1yr or longer, as long as you need! Its a safe med. Keep in mind, we don't know anything about you or your history so it takes us time get to the answers. the more you help us, the more we'll help you!! You might not be feeling so great right now so understand we know that and yet when you can. read around here, especially the talkzone link at top menu. take some time learning. I often say and hope - for all to please come here -- open to read and learn, its the real real deal here, science, medicine, addiction studies...that's why I'm here.
As jennjenn and Dr J said, it may be the normal tolerance mismatch from oxy down to bup. Feeling down, tired etc, Normal and settles out.
As to your question, some Drs have their personal or clinic guidelines for bup doses, Seems like yours likes 8mgs after awhile. NO, not a tough drop except maybe pyschologically., meaning we think it will be and so we make it tough. read around here, the ceiling is at ~ or < 8 mgs and right now, you want to be above the ceiling to cover all your receptors, which you are. But bc of the ceiling, dropping to 8mg is not a problem. IF, IF IF you have cravings after dropping to 8mg then you'll need to go back up and likely your Dr allows for that. This place is incredible here so ask ask ask away!! keep posting so we we get more info which helps us better help you. Best tonight, P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there, congrats on taking a big step in getting your life back together! I experienced a lot of issues like you're describing my first few days. By day 5 I felt normal with some lingering motivation issues, not subs fault at all. It's surprising how quickly your body will respond to the ceiling effect of Suboxone! I was feeling 15-20% better each day, so stick it out and give it a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will give you all a bit of info about me and my history so that'll help you guys help me.

My name is Eddie, I'm from Ohio. I'm 32 years old. I started using alcohol when I was 16. Literally beer bonging bottles of Jack. That ended up causing pancreatitis which I still failed to stop. Fast forward to age 21. I did my first line of Vicodin. That increased to Percocet and heroin 4 times in my usage history. So pretty much oxy. Every day until last Saturday I would do between 100mg to 160mg of oxy. If I didn't I would be sick. So I've been using for roughly 11ish years maybe a little longer. I've tried to quit multiple times. Longest I ever made it was 13 days I think. But I relapsed due to triggers and a friend that uses and of course my own decision to give in and use. I'm not blaming anybody but myself. I've come to accept that it's MY fault and nobody else's. Even when people trigger and pressure me. I could have said no. But anywhooooo that is a bit about me. Funny thing is, I used to be a mixed martial artist. Held 3 titles at 145 pounds. Pills took it all including my build and weight which is now 120 pounds...

I do have some energy. More than I've ever had. I've done nothing but work on things around my house since I came home from my overnight stay at the crisis center for induction. Which was Monday. I do notice that today I have energy but no drive to utilize it. Crazy boredom and when I woke up this morning I have cold chills which are gone since I went to Coleman's (where I went for help in Lima Ohio) and got my dose.

I have noticed that since the doc allowed me to take 6mg in front of the nurse and take 6mg when symptoms present themselves at home, I'm doing better. But I still wake up with cold chills.

I am going to stick on the program and push through the rough patches. Tomorrow I start group. It's something called AOD ... It's like an intro to the 12 step program. After 2 weeks of AOD I start step 1 of the 12 step program. Thank you guys so so much. All of you. For the help you're providing me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a really quick update. At 8pm tonight I will be 6 full days clean and every day that I wake up I feel better and better. The first 4 days I went to the clinic to get my dose at 8am when I first woke up. Today I woke up, drank coffee and took a shower and didn't go get my dose for a few hours after I woke up and could have went longer. I haven't taken my second dose of 4mg yet. So right I've been chugging along on 8mg. And no breakthrough symptoms thus far. So you guys were right. Every day is easier and easier. Today I've found myself not thinking about percocet at all. Not 1 time. Life is so crazy, I've been so active. I pushed my grandma around uptown in her wheelchair and got joy out of it. Just a week ago I would haven't ever gotten joy out of something so simple. Is that normal to find joy in small things like that? Like I look at the situation and I don't see how it can cause so much joy. Maybe it's because the last decade the o LG thing that's brought me joy is opiates??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey FG, nice to hear from you, Great posts. Thanks for telling us a little more about you. Your new life experience due to bup is already remarkable. Good for you to have the courage to start it. So glad you did and happy you are doing well and have this chance to restart your life. Well said -- "Like I look at the situation and I don't see how it can cause so much joy. Maybe it's because the last decade the only thing that's brought me joy is opiates??" Best to you, P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm keeping myself really really busy. For the past few days I've literally been staying busy all day. and I got a job! Only at dollar general but it's something I never did while using. It's only a few days a week but it will do something I've neglected for years. And that's lay my child support. I also passedy first drug test today. That was a huge milestone for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you FelonyGaming that's really hopeful. The stability that comes after an induction on sub is like the difference between night and day compared to the using life. Finally you have a bit of room to move and a life to play with.

Good to hear from you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:00 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Felony and welcome
I just want to remind you of how much power you still have, get back into the martial arts training you dont need to compete in fact probably better if you dont but the energy you can create from the deep breathing and concentration is a great gift to fill that missing space that we all have when we quit drugs. Goodluck.
Cheers
mikib

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wamt to thank all of you. Every day seems to be better and better. Tonight at 8pm is day 11. So I am still chugging along

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:18 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

glad to hear you're doing well with your treatment. will you always have to go to clinic daily to get your dose?
how is the AOD going?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Aod is great. One more class until I graduate to step 1. I will sooner or later get monthly or bi weekly scripts. I think its like a establishing trust thing? Maybe?