It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:17 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I had 5 years of sobriety behind me when i relapsed...for 3 years. I went cold turkey last time. Quit heroin and cigarettes. DOC was roxys and oxymorpone. This time around I opted for subsand therapy. I'm just not as strong as I used to be. 2 year long shitstorm did me in. murder trail, death of loved ones and pets, new family member, CHANGE. The therapy is really helping. I discovered a lot about why i started using, why i relapsed, why at a certain age i completely withdrew and was like a different sadder kid. Basically I don't deal well with CHANGE and death.
Started subs on Sept. 12. currently from 16mg down to 8mg. I tried to take only 4mg in the a.m. going to try 6mg once today.
The only ? i asked the dr. was how long are people usually on these. he said most people NEVER go off them. i'm on a slower taper than i thought i'd be on. especially since i went cold turkey last time. but i'm happy with my progress. I have my life back.
One month into treatment I had a uti. I didn't think it was that bad. Went to urgent care and got an antibiotic, but got really sick that night. Ended up in ICU for 4 days. Getting subs in ICU was a pain. they kept them locked up. I had to talk a whole one, not a half. One nurse mentioned the subs in front of my mom. Another mentioned them in front of my BOSS. One nurse was great. She kept asking me questions about them. I thought she was being judgy. I called her out about it and she ended up just knowing a lot about them because her son takes them and they saved his life.
I've always been a high functioning addict. NO ONE knew.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi SisterMorphine. I am sorry for your losses. I can see where that would be tough. I am not a fan of change either, but I'm trying to work on that. I'm glad you are tapering on your own pace- I've read on this forum many times that is isn't a race and low and slow is the way to go. So you will be the first patient your doctor had had to taper off-that's pretty neat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am 

Hey SisterMorphine welcome to the forum!

After I had my youngest son, about a week or so after, I had a horrible UTI. My brother had to take me to the emergency room, it was awful. I've had UTI's my whole life honestly on and off but that one was the worst I've ever had. My OB said it was a massive urinary tract infection. I was given a script for antibiotics and released the same night. I couldn't imagine having to be put in ICU! That must have been a very wicked UTI, so sorry u had to go through that. I think my doctor gave me something like macrobid....lol something like that, the reason I still remember the name is because it was such a bad experience.

HTown is right about tapering slowly is the way to go if ur ready to start tapering. I take 8mg a day and I'm very happy at that dose. If I were to decide to taper, I'd probably go to 6mg then 5... just slow and steady. There's a lot of information about tapering in the Stopping Suboxone section, definitely check it out when u can.

Good luck :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:26 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Hey SisterMorphine welcome to the forum!

After I had my youngest son, about a week or so after, I had a horrible UTI. My brother had to take me to the emergency room, it was awful. I've had UTI's my whole life honestly on and off but that one was the worst I've ever had. My OB said it was a massive urinary tract infection. I was given a script for antibiotics and released the same night. I couldn't imagine having to be put in ICU! That must have been a very wicked UTI, so sorry u had to go through that. I think my doctor gave me something like macrobid....lol something like that, the reason I still remember the name is because it was such a bad experience.

HTown is right about tapering slowly is the way to go if ur ready to start tapering. I take 8mg a day and I'm very happy at that dose. If I were to decide to taper, I'd probably go to 6mg then 5... just slow and steady. There's a lot of information about tapering in the Stopping Suboxone section, definitely check it out when u can.

Good luck :)

the UTI spread to my kidney and I ended up with severe sepsis. urgent care gave me cipro while they were doing a culture. i was already in the hospital when the culture revealed the cipro wasn't the right antibiotic for the type of bacteria i had. i was on an IV antibiotic for 4 days in ICU, then levofloxacin for a week. i had lost my insurance for 6 months and had just gotten it back less than 3 weeks before this happened. so glad for that!
i'm totally happy with the 8mg, but i would like to get to one dose a day. it may end up still being 8mg though. i just want to break the habit. I never used during the day, but when I got home from work and in my head it still feels like i'm getting a fix, just without the high. hmmm, just though of maybe changing it to once a day, during the day?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:31 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

HTOWN wrote:
Hi SisterMorphine. I am sorry for your losses. I can see where that would be tough. I am not a fan of change either, but I'm trying to work on that. I'm glad you are tapering on your own pace- I've read on this forum many times that is isn't a race and low and slow is the way to go. So you will be the first patient your doctor had had to taper off-that's pretty neat.

i'm doing the taper on my own. the receptionist asks what my dose it and then prints out a sheet that i take back to the dr. i just told her 1 1/4 instead of 2 a day. i've seen 3 different drs there, the change in dose would be in the computer, but he didn't mention it.
i didn't like having all the extra films. i called and rescheduled appointments twice for 3 weeks apart instead of 2. i hate going in every 2 weeks! i have to pay $100 for the appt. and $20 for the script no matter how many films i get!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hi SM,

Your user name makes me cringe. Let's hope the morphine part is in your past from now on.

We normally suggest a Suboxone patient to take at least a year before deciding to get off of it. Feel free to taper down to a comfortable dose but wait until your mind is absolutely positive you can stay off opiates once you give up the Suboxone.

It is an easy thing to taper for most people unless they came off a huge heroin or methadone habit. Just go down slowly and if you feel some w/d's, go back up a little until you feel stable again.

My doctor knows I take less than he prescribes but told me to stockpile just in case. Right now I have about 4 full boxes of the 2 mg films in storage for a rainy day. I may need them if surgery is in my near future but I don't like having that much on hand. We'll cut my script down next month to help stop the stockpiling from getting out of hand. It does allow me to only go in every few months instead of monthly, saving me all sorts of money. The last time I did this I did end up having surgery and used up my entire stash in 3 months. At least I had it to use.

Please take it nice and slow. There is no race to get off of it. Recovery is complicated and something you need to take very seriously. We are here to help with that part.

rule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:19 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

rule62 wrote:
Hi SM,

Your user name makes me cringe. Let's hope the morphine part is in your past from now on.

rule

it's a name i've used for a very long time. It was a marianne faithful song that the rolling stones have also recorded. the song is about someone dying.

the clinic i got to says they only schedule appointments for 2 weeks. i guess i can ask for longer. or find another dr? kind of comfortable where i am though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, I can see that it would be on your own since your doctor hasn't had anyone taper off before. I go see my doctor once a month @ $150 a visit. I had a one week follow up after my very first appointment but that was free and it's been once a month since. I pay way more than $20 for my medication though. A lot of people here stockpile their meds just in case-like if something happens where they can't get to the doctor, family emergency or if the doctor suddenly is not taking patients anymore. It's nice to have a just in case backstock. Do you only get two weeks of medication at a time too?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SisterMorphine wrote:
rule62 wrote:
Hi SM,

rule

it's a name i've used for a very long time. It was a marianne faithful song that the rolling stones have also recorded. the song is about someone dying.

the clinic i got to says they only schedule appointments for 2 weeks. i guess i can ask for longer. or find another dr? kind of comfortable where i am though.

While I completely understand rule's reaction, I liked it the first time I saw it. It's highly poetic. I'm not surprised it's from a song. In fact I'd wondered if you were a poet yourself. I liked reading your story, though
of course I'm sorry it's so full of pain. Older addicts who've been around the block bring a kind of richness of experience to the proceedings.

By the way, I don't think you'd have any trouble at all going to one dose a day. Dr. Junig recommends it, and
I've noticed no difference. There's probably an addict reason to want to take multiple doses, but there'a also an addict reason to take it just once....a chance to double up :D

Best wishes,
Godfrey

P.S. For all I know you could be in your 20's (regarding my older addict comment. If so, no offense meant of course. something about your posts that make me think you're a bit older...probably shouldhm't have gone there in the first place....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:19 am 

Hi Sister, Welcome! I started at 24mgs and have tapered down to 4mgs per day. I take 2mgs in the am and 2mgs in the pm. This is what works best for me as I have chronic pain in my knees as a result of osteoarthritis and some mild depression associated with menopause. So, dosing twice per day is what works bestfor me in dealing with those issues. I too have a stockpile as my greatest fear is to be in need of surgery or any kind of pain relief and not heard by my Doctors. Although, I did recently have a procedure done and all went very well! Please keep posting so we know how you are doing! And again, Welcome! PS, Godfrey, I just love how you always are so thoughtful in your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

godfrey wrote:
SisterMorphine wrote:
rule62 wrote:
Hi SM,

rule

While I completely understand rule's reaction, I liked it the first time I saw it. It's highly poetic. I'm not surprised it's from a song. In fact I'd wondered if you were a poet yourself. I liked reading your story, though
of course I'm sorry it's so full of pain. Older addicts who've been around the block bring a kind of richness of experience to the proceedings.

By the way, I don't think you'd have any trouble at all going to one dose a day. Dr. Junig recommends it, and
I've noticed no difference. There's probably an addict reason to want to take multiple doses, but there'a also an addict reason to take it just once....a chance to double up :D

Best wishes,
Godfrey

P.S. For all I know you could be in your 20's (regarding my older addict comment. If so, no offense meant of course. something about your posts that make me think you're a bit older...probably shouldhm't have gone there in the first place....

Hey Godfrey
You are right on all accounts. I am 40-something. I am mainly an artist, but i do write some. i've even written some poetry, most of which was written during my "dark poetry phase" ...does everyone go thru that phase? around 19 or so? some of my poetry was even published back then, so it couldn't have been too terrible :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:23 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

HTOWN wrote:
Yes, I can see that it would be on your own since your doctor hasn't had anyone taper off before. I go see my doctor once a month @ $150 a visit. I had a one week follow up after my very first appointment but that was free and it's been once a month since. I pay way more than $20 for my medication though. A lot of people here stockpile their meds just in case-like if something happens where they can't get to the doctor, family emergency or if the doctor suddenly is not taking patients anymore. It's nice to have a just in case backstock. Do you only get two weeks of medication at a time too?

yes, i only get 2 weeks worth at a time.