It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay I have been lurking here for a few days reading every one's posts. I have been on oxycontin for about 6 months now. My tolerance for the last few months has been pretty high, I would take 70mg at a time, twice a day. I can 12 hours sometimes I went longer without taking a dose, just depended on the day. I got sick of the pills controlling my life and ruining my life, so I decided to stop CT. That was 10-14-10, I went 24 hours CT until I got some suboxone from a friend. I took that yesterday (2mg), so it's been about 30 hours since I have taken the suboxone. I'm having some symptoms of withdrawal, but not at all what it was like when I tried to CT. My plan is to go for as long as I can without taking another dose, which if I do it will be less than 2mg. I want to do this for about a week, will I go through really bad withdrawals or will they be mild? I have some xanax and ambien I could take as well, I have been saving those for when it gets really bad. Night times are the worst.

I don't want to be on it for long term. I don't have cravings, I didn't even have cravings 24 hours into going CT. I am done with the pills controlling my life, I'm not looking to get high off of them. I'm looking for input and seeing if anyone has been on Suboxone short term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was addicted to opiates of all kinds for 5 yrs. I took suboxone for about 6-7 months, & on day 10 off & I am fine with just mild cold feeling. Withdrawals take a while from OC's, don't think that the mental won't get you if you go into "balls to the wall" withdrawal! Have you ever gone through w/d's before? The suboxone has been a life saver, I wanted off meds, I just didn't want to suffer, & that was the saved me. Get the suboxone so you don't get stuck further into the cycle. I am not a doctor, but I would not recommend long term suboxone if you are positive you are done with pills! However, don't go too short term either, or you may fall into temptation. I would guess with your situation, take suboxone at the smallest dose you can to keep w/d's at bay, for at least 1 week, but honostly 3 weeks would most likely make you feel better & not suffer the "paws" you will read about. But...low dose is key...and taper as quickly as you determine! Be safe...good luck, it will be done!
Lindsay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to respectfully disagree with Lindsay. Short term treatment like has an extremely high rate of relapse. Others have come here wanting to use suboxone in the same way as you, but none of them stuck around to tell us if they succeeded or not. And recent studies simply don't support short term treatment.

PAWS is something that a person can get from long term use of ANY opiate - not just suboxone. If you've taken opiates for long enough you'll have PAWS regardless of how long you stay on suboxone - it will just put it off until you stop the sub.

I hear you when you say that you have no cravings and are just "done". That's great - it means you're determined. However that alone cannot treat opiate addiction. It will almost give you a false sense of security. Once an addict, always an addict. It's like a switch has been flipped in your brain. That simply won't change.

I'm sorry if I'm being negative, but I'm just trying to be honest and give you a different perspective. I hope you are the exception and succeed. But no one can tell you for certain how many days or weeks to take suboxone without having withdrawals from the opiates you were taking. Suboxone is just a different kind of opiate - the brain can't tell the difference. It is true that it is easier to stop suboxone than it is to stop our DOC. I truly hope you succeed. Keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with hatmaker. We're not here to tell you what you want to hear. Can what you are doing work? Yeah, I suppose it can, but I've seen exactly ZERO evidence of that in the year or so I've been posting on this forum. Many have come here with a similar plan and they all seem to have one thing in common and that is that they all speak in absolutes when it comes to the pills....examples being: "I'll never use opiates again" or "I'm truly done with pills" or "I've had enough, and I won't be going back to ______________"

The problem with that kind of thinking is it's not very realistic if you've been using for 6 months or longer, I think. Now, with that said, I DO think that people who have been using for shorter amounts of time like 6 or less months have a higher chance of success with getting and staying clean, but deluding yourself into thinking you'll never pick up again is a dangerous mindset.

PLEASE take my comments in the spirit in which they are being offered: I am only trying to share with you my experience with addiction, which is over 30 years long. In those years, I've seen hundreds and hundreds of addicts try to get and stay clean and the vast overwhelming majority of them have failed over and over again. Hatmaker is absolutely correct in her assertion that you can't go back to NOT being an addict, once you've crossed that threshold. All of the research and evidence that's out there supports this.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let me try to answer your question: The suboxone is likely just delaying your withdrawal. If you jump off the suboxone at a dose of 2mg per day, you're going to experience some extremely uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms followed by a period of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome that could last anywhere from 2 to 6 months, it varies from person to person. What I would suggest you try, if you are determined to do it this way, is a slow taper from the current dose you are taking, down to at least .25mg per day and THEN make the jump. The lower you go, the softer the landing will be.

Check out the thread about the liquid taper method in the "Stopping Suboxone" forum, you may find it useful.

Once again, we're not here to rain on your parade, but hatmaker's right. Dozens and dozens of people have come here and posted messages that were almost identical to yours, and I've yet to see a single person stick around or come back and say "Hey, it worked! I'm totally clean and feel great now!" And my guess is because not many of them have succeeded going down this path.

Questions: Are you in some kind of therapy to help deal with the emotional aspects of your addiction? Do you have a recovery plan for after the pills are gone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you everyone for you replies and input. I am feeling some symptoms of withdrawal, but they are not bad at all. I have not taken any suboxone for 2 days and I have been off oxy for 3 days. I am determined, and I am ready to put this behind me. I just didn't want to go through the really bad withdrawals I have heard about. I am guessing by now, by day three that the opiates are close to out of my system?

For the past few weeks when I would use, I was doing out of habit. I HATED the high I would get, I'm sick of this controlling my life. I am very determined, I am not looking back. I will keep everyone updated, I know I won't relapse. The thought of putting a pill in my mouth makes me sick to my stomach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One more thing - keep in mind the half-life of suboxone is on average 37 hours. So you last took it 2 days ago means it's still in your system. How you feel today isn't necessarily a good indicator of how you will feel tomorrow or the day after. Just FYI.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
One more thing - keep in mind the half-life of suboxone is on average 37 hours. So you last took it 2 days ago means it's still in your system. How you feel today isn't necessarily a good indicator of how you will feel tomorrow or the day after. Just FYI.

Yeah I was looking at the long half life. I have gone up to 36 hours before CT and it feels like this. I know this isn't going to be an easy road, but I can't go back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Terry,

I just wanted to wish you good luck and I will send some positive energy your way :) I am hopeful that due to the short time you were on opiates that it won't be to bad :)

Although the oxys are long lasting opiates and subs have a long half life, but its day three and your feeling all right and thats all that matters!!! If you start feeling really bad I would look into finding a suboxone doctor to do it properly :D

GOOD LUCK AGAIN!!!!!! keep us posted :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hancal106 wrote:
Hey Terry,

I just wanted to wish you good luck and I will send some positive energy your way :) I am hopeful that due to the short time you were on opiates that it won't be to bad :)

Although the oxys are long lasting opiates and subs have a long half life, but its day three and your feeling all right and thats all that matters!!! If you start feeling really bad I would look into finding a suboxone doctor to do it properly :D

GOOD LUCK AGAIN!!!!!! keep us posted :!:

Thank you! I am feeling okay for the most part, just totaly drained of energy right now. I sure will keep whoever is interested updated on my progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Please do not misinterpret what I meant. However, I took opiates for years & was at the point where I didn't want to look at myself anymore, I knew without a shadow of a doubt I was done with it all. The doctors, the pain meds not taking away my pain, scheduling everything around myof bottle count, it all became too much! But the fear of the pain of withdrawals, mind you I was on methadone too for a year, kept me going back. I researched the heck out of suboxone for about 1 year before deciding it could not be worse than what I was already afraid of. My doctor swore people would go on vacation & forget their suboxone & realize they didn't need it anymore...we could contact them at her office if we chose to. I am now on the 11th night off suboxone and am fine. I still had morphine, methadone & roxy's in my safe that I forgot about until this morning. I saw those little handcuffs & never felt better about where I am emotionally with those lil' suckers. Those are now gone, destroyed! But only that specific person can know, not think, not just trying to get one more day, but know when they are done. I read just about every negative post about getting off, it only scared me into doubting myself for a few more months. At 4weeks, I realized, I think from you guys, that I wasn't ready...I doubted myself. If I couldn't trust me on suboxone, how was I gonna off? My time came earlier on than alot of people. I want to clarify that I did not go through normal withdrawals, I was not on it over a year, which my doctor recommends anyways, and I am fine. I want people to know that there are people who don't go through the valley of death getting off this stuff. I have read & heard suboxone being labeled just as bad as methadone...not true in MY case. Methadone feels like you are dying, and I prayed I would just die. The paws won't happen necessarily for this person, if in fact it has only been 6 months of opiate use. When I asked my doctor about the paws, she said that it varies, some people don't have it at all, some are just more tired than usual & others suffer for upwards of a year, depending on dosage, length, & your own body. I am still a bit lazier today than 8 years ago, but I was sick for years on pills. Paws isn't something I can't handle, I know that my body isn't rubber, it's going to take time for chemicals to balance back out. As my grandmother always said, "don't freak out about a little chaos, it will always be there tomorrow anyhow!" For me, she referred to me freaking out about the house, the dishes, etc. And she is right, I have 4 kids under 13, no matter how clean the house is, in 10 minutes it all gets undone. Take everything as slowly as you need to. I was just not easily able to find people who were in my shoes, shorter term cases...this is my case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Terry, you still around? Hope you're doing ok. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Did anyone see her (Terry 85) post under Help me/My friend etc, titled detox? Yikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been doing pretty good I think. I'm having problems with my husband, so I am staying at my mom's house with our kids right now. I don't want to go back and he keeps making excuses to use and why he can't stop even though he swears up and down he is done. I am really stressed right now and I have no energy AT ALL, but I get up every morning and take it as it comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Aw, crap, I'm sorry to hear that Terry. This is the destructive nature of addiction.