It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys. First I'd like to say Wow. I didn't know this site existed? Excited to have just joined. Ive already read hundreds of posts.
So i would like to explain something that i cant rationalize.
And this will be long, so please don't read if it makes you mad. I understand. Not much has been harder for me than navigating my life of sobriety on suboxone through the dark waters of stigma, judgement, desensitized pharmacists/Dr's staff/insurance, and financial extortion. Much less dealing with the being an addict part. My Dr office is good but pricey, (but worth the council recieved) but they deal with so many people the nurses are over worked and I'm sure deal with a lot of unnecessary drama. So it's hard to get them to take time to deal with individual problems and u will almost never get them the day u call then hope for a call that week. My pharmacy staff smirks at me and sometimes won't break down pricing for me in bulk. My insurance cut my dose in half after paying a nice portion of it for over a year, saying they need Dr to send appeal explaining why the dose of more than 1pd. mind you that I wasn't warned of this, went to refill and woops that will be 890.00, and Dr sent records, appeal, & detailed explaination 4 diff. Times (I saw the fax successful sheets) but insurance claimed they never got it, then one they got wasn't complete. Dr said it's tactic to put off paying as long as can. I couldn't spare the extra $ that month so the drop had me withdrawing and missing work which led to me being let go, and then loosing insurance completely.. so I've been unemployed for over a month & half. So my insurance not accepting my Dr faxes or calls directly cost me my job and insurance. Then good luck struck. I got an awesome offer as inspector on turnaround @84hr a week. I was accepted and ran through all the screening urine, hair, resperator fit tests, physicals. At end the nurse practitioner sat me in room and asked bout accident In 03 that put me on pain pills for back. Explained no pain in long time. She asked how long on sub, mg, and when projected to quit. Told her I'd like to think about a year or so.. and she flipped.. said "I've heard enough" u shouldnt be on it for more than 2 weeks" I tried explaining to her bUT wouldn't listen. The Co. I'm applying for must get a green flag (everything cleared and I can go to site) or red (un permitted to go) she said "I'm writing you can't go up ladders or lif 50+lbs. I explained sub in no way effects or limits ANY of my abilities and I have zero health or pain issues, why are you writing that? She said on that med your a safety risk, and I've told your Co. So remember, I was already hired and just going through intake for job. Called super, and he said "I don't know what to tell you, if they red flag you can't go. And I need a supervisor out there now and half to find someone else." I have been sober for 3 years now thankfully to sub. And in that time I've built my career from assistant to crew supervisor in a VERY regulated industry. I've excelled past most of my peers in every area. Production, labor, safety and knowledge of insp. Methods. But now for some reason I physical restrictions cause a lady is obviously misinformed or has a grudge against my medication. I do not know what to do. I do not understand how/why I'm having so many issues with being on this. IT'S SAVED MY LIFE!! AND CHANGED IT!! I tried to explain but she wouldn't even stay in the room and discuss/ explain this with me. And in my line of work, there is no such thing as limitations. Either your 100 or not. My resp. & pulmonary tests were all fine. Good heart rate but did not matter. And my hair is too short to do test from scalp, so we took from my 6mo beard, them had to shave to skin so repertor fit test could be dont. So now I can't even just go to another job loc even if there was one, cause they shaved the only hair I have that was long enough for test.
Wow I ranted, sorry about that, not the best way to introduce myself. lol. I have no idea what my options are. I don't know if this is legal? Or unethical? Or is it discrimination? I thought M.A.T. patients could not be discriminated against merely for being in an MAT medical addiction treatment? I mean without a doubt I would be on a plane right now except for this woman claims subox is exactly why I can't work.
It's been a horrible experience bein in treatment. The thing that saved my life and gave me freedom from myself is the very thing keeping me from buying food or bills. I'm so scared right now and feel ashamed somehow. Then the very providers of this life replinishing plan is extortion me to death, litteraly. I explained to them that I could die as a direct result of nothe getting my med but it didn't make a diff. Now I cannot in any way afford my lifeline. Wow 4 months ago I was picking out a piece of land and now I half to start selling my belongings to keep lights on.
Look I know I ranted, and maybe I really don't even expect any realistic help for this, but I needed to write this for release to people that understand what im going through, before my family sees me start balling and flipping.
On another note, I really like what I'm reading on here. I got the first small piece of a feeling that I'm not alone in this, and that we might really can change things happening to us for having this scarlet letter called addiction. I lost my Lil brother to opiates, and my sis is still on them. My parents are also and haven't spoke to them in years. But gosh dangit I was able to catch a glimpse of what normalcy and serenity and self accomplishment felt like. Anyway I guess that's enough for now. God bless yall, thanks for giving me this pillow to scream into. Lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I’m not sure what to say regarding your employment, however, most knowledgeable docs that I know would be willing to write you a letter saying that you are stable on a particular dose of Suboxone and that it does not impair your ability to work, drive, operate machinery, etc. If you wish to look up standard of care for this kind thing then I would go to the American Society of Addiciton Medicine website. There are also addiction doctors who will prescribe buprenorphine if you don’t have insurance which runs about $2.50 for an 8mg pill with a GoodRx.com coupon. They have to be convinced that you are at low risk of abusing it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 am 

Hey Trust welcome.

Unfortunately there can be stigma associated with buprenorphine. I guess all companies have their policies and ways of doing things, I don't really know how to get around that other than what the previous poster said and have ur doctor communicate with this lady. In my opinion that would be ur best bet. Maybe someone else can think of something different because I'm positive this has happened to many ppl. It's unfair that ppl don't take the time to really understand buprenorphine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The nurse practitioner should have a supervising doctor that you can appeal to at least review the chart. If not, a letter from an employment lawyer referencing standard of care for MAT would also probably help because the nurse practitioner would have to justify her opinion on something other than personal philosophy. You can reasonably claim damages as you have qualified for the job in every other way.

Keep in mind that the normal duty of a physician-patient relationship does not really apply. She’s not your provider but an agent of the company. She has no obligation to diagnose or treat you for any medical condition. She does have the obligation to evaluate your ability to do your job based on available evidence and standards of care. If you are going to do research, I would look into the latest rules for doctors and pilots since those would probably be the most strict. I do see there are some of those discussions on this forum.