It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

Just a quick introduction. I had a several year opiate adventure involving pain pills and I stumbled onto suboxone. Fast forward four years, I got myself off of Suboxone and have been living a clean and productive life ever since with absolutely zero desire to play with opiates ever again.

There are several things I would have done differently when starting suboxone, and I did reach a point where I grew tired of being on maintenance therapy and anger towards the makers and regulations, but I have come to terms and totally at peace with myself and I'm now convinced that I am successfully free of opiates due to my experience on suboxone and the challenges of discontinuing its use. With that said, I hope to be of help to others here whichever stage your at since I have done the whole series of out of control to starting maintenance therapy, stopping suboxone, and now living clean.

SP

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:55 pm 

Welcome Seaprince,
We can use a member who has been though it all here. Thanks for coming aboard. We just do not get many who have gone full circle.

I sure get the part of being tired of the system some days. So can you tell us how you ve managed to stay opiate free? What kind of recovery plan do you use today? Im always curious what others have done. Sorry for all the questions, but how loug have you been off of everything Sea?

I know there is life after Suboxone but im not there yet myself.

Thanks again for posting.

Razor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:08 pm 

Hi Seaprince, Welcome! It is great to have someone here who has come full circle! I too have all the questions that Razor has! It is always good to hear about people's taper journey and what worked for them. Thank you for sharing with us!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Razor,

Those are great questions you have.

Just sharing my personal experience, for me wanting to stop suboxone, it began that I grew tired of having to take it just to be able to function -- others may not like this description, but for me I felt trapped on it. When I told my Dr that I wanted to stop the treatment, he was very hesitant with his support and that raised some new concerns with me. Was he worried about losing a steady cash patient? I don't think that was his issue. Looking back, it was pretty clear he had no idea how to help his patients stop. When I made it clear I was determined, only then did he give his support but his advice was questionable because he had me do a one week taper from 16mg to 0 and the result was not a good experience. After about 10 days, my wife couldn't take it seeing me suffer and she took me to urgent care and to be honest, that was a humiliating experience. The Drs there treated me like a junkie on the street and told me to go back to my suboxone Dr which I did.

After about two more years of suboxone, I got new insurance so I thought "great, maybe I can get this covered". I was paying $150 per office visit and about $400 a month for the prescription, so I thought the insurance would be a huge help only that too turned out to be a big disappointment. In the San Diego area I could not find any Dr who would take insurance. Cash only and if I were to go to a new Dr, I had to pay an extra enrollment fee. No problem, I thought. I'll just pay the office visit and get my insurance to cover the prescription. To make a long story short, this little experience was eye-opening. None of the Drs would write a Rx for the generic and it turns out that's what my insurance covered -- they would only prescribe brand name. What pushed me over the edge was when my Dr forgot to call in my prescription before a long weekend and him leaving on vacation. Seeing this system in action confirmed my trap. I reached a point where I decided to stop and this time on my own.

To stop suboxone, I desperately wanted to avoid acute withdrawals like I experienced previously so I did lots of studying of the drug and how it works, its half life, etc. and did a very long taper. My taper took over 6 months to do and it was tough but I avoided those unpleasant acute withdrawals. Once finally done, honestly it took a good 6 months to feel somewhat normal. I just embraced it as part of the healing process.

The experience of acute withdrawals, and doing the hard work of a long taper made me never want to experience those feelings again. It changed me, in a good way. If there was an easy way to stop, I'm sure I would have relapsed.

I literally have no desire to go back to any opiate again. Maybe experiencing the withdrawals and tough work of a taper helped, but I also took time to learn better habits, exercise, and eat healthy and those are likely the biggest help.

didn't mean to write a book here, but hopefully reading many others experiences can help in some way. In summary, this whole route I took of being on suboxone treatment and struggling to stop is what made my success of no opioid desire. I'm glad I went through it all, but its something I never want to go through again.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey SP,

Congrats. Well done. Interested in more of your story, if that is a possibility Maybe you could tell us a little bit on how/why you started on pills. Any losses from opiate use? how did you discover bup? Sounds like 4 yrs on bup? and 6mos taper w 6 mos off? Any life changes to stay away from opiates? Any recovery type work? If I read it right, the frustrations w the system + cost + your efforts + long bup taper created the now lack of any desire for opis? Sounds like a long sloowww taper worked well? Were you in active addiction after marriage and your spouse stayed? I'm off bup awhile also. Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sea prince I'm curious when you say it took a good 6 months off the subs to feel "normal" could you please elaborate on this maybe post a sort of timeline of how you felt the first 6 months off suboxone?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:11 am 

Hello SeaPrince welcome.

Everyone else has covered any questions I would have asked lol but still wanted to welcome u.

I also get frustrated with the cost of suboxone sometimes. I'm very blessed because it has saved me but I wish the powers that be could make it more affordable. I don't have insurance, so I pay cash for the visit plus medicine and it's a lot. I pay 350 a month plus 28 strips a month at 9 dollars each....do the math at 4 yrs and it's a lot! Plus I've came down to 8 mg so before that it was even more at the pharmacy than it is now. I try not to focus on that though because I can't put a price on the blessings that's came into my life because of suboxone. But it would be wonderful if it was more affordable. I've decided that I'm going to be on suboxone for long term, even life possibly, but the only thing I can see that would ever change that would be financial....and that's a shame. I wish it could be more simple.

I can't say enough wonderful things about sub, I'm pretty defensive sometimes when ppl come on here and just talk negatively about it (except for the cost lol). What I've noticed about u is, like pelican, you've been through the entire process and can be positive about it....that's what I love to read about in ppl's journeys. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcom to the forum.

Congrats on your taper. Just some quick advice. I would not depend on the "pains and agony of withdraw" to keep you away from opiates. Over time, your mind will forget just how painful it was. And.. with out some kind of Work or recovery is needed for long time sobriety.

6 months to 1 year clean is fantastic, but..... life happens, and WITHOUT some safety net like a program or counselling or support group. RELAPSE IS A REAL THING.

And I dont want to see that happen to you.

Good luck with everything in the future !! and Welcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the nice greetings.

I wanted to add some more info on my past suboxone use. When I said my taper took 6 months, I should have clarified that to say "when I did my successful taper", that took 6 months. Aside from the 1 week taper I did after following my Dr.'s advice, I had 2 additional failed tapers and together those took up about 9 months.

The first failure was because I tapered too fast. Live and learn. My second failure was due to caving in during a moment of weakness during the holidays. Up to this point, that was 3 attempts. My 4th, and final taper, was the successful one and for that one it really took a lot of discipline and I'm sure the key to this one's success was that I went very slow once I got under 2mg.

My last dose of suboxone was about 18 months ago. For me it took about 6 months to really start feeling somewhat normal. It wasn't horrible or anything. I just went through that time feeling sluggish and low energy. Most of this was mental, at least for me. I had to really push myself through on some days.

I should also add that I have an underlying medical condition that made me experience very intense restless legs syndrome. That was really tough to go through and the memories are still very vivid. I only experienced this when I went through the 10 days of acute withdrawals from my first taper. I believe most people won't experience that the way I did, so I don't want to scare anyone. We're all different and unique.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:29 pm 

I think that a slow taper is exactly the way I'd do it too if I was ever to taper off. I think slow and steady wins the race. From what I have heard here, going slow and taking ur time really makes any withdrawal symptoms a lot less severe. So I think that was a great way to do ur taper.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes definitely going slow during a taper is the way to go based on my experience in minimizing discomfort. When I got to about 1.5mg, I only made 20% drops every 10 days and when I got under 1mg, I did 10% drops and believe it or not, this was the toughest part of the process. I planned to taper all the way down to 0.1mg but when I got to about 0.2mg, I basically got tired of tapering and decided one day that was enough. Nothing bad happened when I stopped at that dose. I was expecting it to get bad, but it didn't. I just slowly started to feel back to normal.

One frustrating thing about this taper is I had to figure it out and do it on my own. My Dr really had no clue about tapering and said I should just stop when I feel ready and just ride it out. Yeah right. I tried that before and that was an epic failure. I then asked my primary care Dr for advice and at least he was straight with me and said he didn't know. What I really found odd was that there were no lower strength doses made to help with tapering and the makers of the films say in their literature to not cut the strips and I'm pretty sure Drs are not really allowed to suggest cutting or manipulating the does to lower and lower over time, but I could be wrong there, but that was my experience. Anyway, I'm glad I tapered and I'm even glad I had to struggle through it. I really think that helped me in the long run.

I may sound negative about suboxone at times, and there are definitely things I don't like about the "system" but I do realize that going on it and struggling to get off of it is what got me straightened out. If I had to do it all over again, I definitely would. My only regret was not learning more about what I was getting into before starting, but today I am living clean and that is a blessing that I am extremely thankful for.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
and I'm pretty sure Drs are not really allowed to suggest cutting or manipulating the does to lower and lower over time

We can say what ever we want; for epic stupid go here:
wow-ever-confused-now-maybe-the-doctors-are-t12624.html

It is ok for us to discuss cutting films and assisting with tapers, but as many have found, a lot do not.
There is a .2 mg tablet available in Europe that is used for pain control, I wish we had access to it.
The patch, Butrans, can only be used for pain control and I've wondered if it could be tried - used for tapering. I've tried it once but it didn't work and haven't found anybody else ready, or willing to ride off the trail with me.
Congrats on your journey!