It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm currently on Suboxone 8 twice daily for 10-months. I thought things were going great until I read some of these posts, now I'm concerned.

I am using Medicinal Marijuana, and have throughout my opiate recovery. I have quit many things in my life, but opiates kicked my ass. Seriously.

I have been approved through my new HMO that they will supply as long as I need them. I had to go to their rehab offices, see a Dr., & go before their board with an M.D. there as well. I blew them away with my honesty I guess. They know I use Medicinal Marijuana along with my Suboxone treatment. I suggested to them that Marijuana helped me get off of opiates. I was using an average of 30-35 15mg Oxycodone a day. It was bad. I guess I'll keep looking around for more info...

Joe S.
California

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum! What is it that you've been reading that has you concerned? Maybe you could share it with us and we'll do our best to ease your concerns, if we can.

I've been on suboxone for almost 3 years and I, too, suffer from chronic pain. I'm pleased with my sub treatment and will probably remain on it for quite some time.

Again, welcome and do let us know your concerns.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After perusing this site I started feeling a bit uneasy about my "vision" of getting off of Suboxone. My Pain Dr., who I no longer see, said that it takes a long time. He never defined long to me. Now I'm with an HMO that didn't want to pay for Suboxone until I schooled them on the benefits. Now they politely oblige! I do smoke California Medicinal Marijuana. It helps! I'm not a hippie-type or a "420" kind of person. I smoke alone, and always have. I'm not a loner, I just don't know anyone that smokes except me. C5-6-7 are fused, C-4 fractured/cleaned up, Bone spurs throughout neck and tons of nerve pain in my neck/left shoulder/left arm. When i was taking Oxycodone 15mg X30-35 daily, I was immune to the pain. Switching to Suboxone seemed to be my only way out alive. I still get trigger-point injections every 90 days. They help. Not once have I thought about opiates. Only the destruction. I'll have to check back & see others have to say about Suboxone.

Thanks Again!
Joe S.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Going off suboxone does entail doing a long, slow taper in order to lessen the severity of acute and post-acute withdrawals. But if it's done "right", then it can be done relatively painlessly. Are you considering going off it anytime soon? Do you think the suboxone, in combination with the MMJ, helps your pain at all? The suboxone definitely helps mine, which is why I'll stay on it. I'm just curious if you think the sub helps your pain as well.

Anyway, check out the forum, I think you'll find it informative. See you around and feel free to PM a moderator if you have any questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes! I was taking so much Oxycodone that it was actually hurting my neck. Oxy & Hydro are not good for neck injuries it tensed me up too much. I was using my gravity traction device more often than now with Suboxone. I, pretty much, have always smoked so I don't really know how that helps my pain, but I sure don't want to find out right now. Things are good right now, I don't want to change anything except having to get my prescription refilled as many pharmacies don't stock Suboxone like they should. I worry about that and major disasters as my supply would be cut off. 30-day script. that's it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Might I make a suggestion? Many of us here actually try to save up extra suboxone so that we don't have to worry about seeing the doctor or going to the pharmacy on the exact right day. It makes a huge difference knowing you don't have to concern yourself with running out if your doctor cancels or if the pharmacy has to order your sub. I know it works well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm not down to the day, but close. I've been on for 10 months. When I switched health insurance July 1, they would not prescribe Suboxone. I don't think that they knew about it until I showed up. I'm not bragging, but I did school them on it. I still keep in contact on a personal level, and assist the counselor they initially brought me in to evaluate my condition. She says that she values my opinion on rehab matters. I am not a counselor myself, but I did my homework before I started. I didn't want to leap from the fryin' pan into the fire and feel that so far, so good.

The question of when to stop lingers in my mind. I'm doing great, but want to do better. Total partial sobriety!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The delay with HMO & me being broke meant that it wiped out my stash. I have trouble each month with refills. This month I received 4 partials (5, 5, 15, 35=60). They don't give me the 28 day refill option because every month since July I've used every one I get. I formally complained, but was answered that it is too expensive to stock 60 extras just for me. They suck. I'll try to get my stash rebuilt soon. At least a week & I'll be comfortable!

Post subject: Fentanyl Patches
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh yeah! I almost forgot. I was also on Fentanyl 50 mch patches for 5-6 years as well as oxycodone. I was looking around and I know i'm in the wrong place, but I took my last pills and took off my patch the night before I started Suboxone. I woke up with mild uneasiness and disolved my first tablet. It took about 30 minutes and no nothing. No WD's, DT's, and the Jones' didn't stop by!