It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you think it's time for me to taper?
Yes 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
No 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Down to 6mg!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello everyone...Just wanted to post a quick update, as it's been a few months. I got down to 8mg and have been stable on that for a while. Since I went from 24mg to 8mg per day, I have lost a total of 25lbs! I was not overweight or anything, but I really think the additional sleeping and water retention was not helping when I was up at 24mg. Anyways, I started going down again and yesterday I only took 6mg. I am going to try hard and do 6mg today too and possibly for the next couple of weeks. I am more determined than ever to get off of the Subs. I have a very supportive boyfriend who was able to taper off of methadone completely and he motivates me big time to be done with it! After a terrible altercation with my doctor again this week, I feel like I really need to get going and get off!! I woke up late today, since I didn't have to work due to all this snow we got in New England... And I really didn't feel that bad; just some slight yawning and that feeling like you need to stretch out... Not quite to the point where I wanted to remove all of my skin or anything, but I can definitely feel a difference going from 8mg to 6mg. I didn't feel that bad going from 24 to 16 to 8 at all.... I'm really worried about the end. I read about that disolving in water technique, which I would definitely consider...Anyways, I will keep tracking my progress on here - and I'm thankful for everyone's feedback and the fact that this site even exists!! My doctor still will not "allow" me to taper...he still thinks I'm at 20mg. I feel like he wants me to be on it forever! It's been 5+ years and I'm SO READY to be done!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update. If you went from 8 to 7, you might not feel the drop at all. You could do that by taking 8 mg one day and 6 the next and so on and so on. That's one of the most painless ways to taper down. Remember to let yourself adjust to the dosage drop before doing another drop. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Congrats to C.I.R
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi C.I.R, I see that you too are from New England-- lookin' to come off of suboxones. I too am 24 years old from Cape Cod. I have been on subs for two years now and am SO ready to come. I realized it was time because it was started to give me high blood pressure, something I never had a problem with in my whole life. Well, now I am on medication. I just really want to be off everything and just live a normal lifestyle... working out and eating right. I don't want to be locked down due to medication either anymore. However, the past two years the most I was taking was 8mg... I actually had my scripts and was only taking a quarter in the morning and quarter at night, well, after a year my tolerance built and I went up to a quarter in the morning, afternoon and TWICE at night. bad habits.. because mentally there are many times a day where I am just TRIGGERED to want that quarter!! Well, I am back down to 6 mg and sometimes 4mg... like yesterday and today I only took 4mg... I NEED help with a plan to taper off so I don't die from withdrawals...after four years and many times in rehab and days feeling sick because of my 5 30 mg percocets a day... I have not told my family that I am on suboxone for two years they have thought I was "clean". I have nothing bad to say about suboxone because it has done wonders. I am in my second year of college, I have held a job for two years... but now, I am feeling the fright of withdrawals and depression since it is time to taper off.
Please help me!! Anyone who is willing to share a succesful taper or plan or wisdom or encouragment!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. It seems to me that if you are still taking sub when you feel the need to take something, that maybe you're not ready to taper off? Plus, why not start living that "normal" lifestyle now - it will help you to be stable and healthy as you taper off. Do as much as you can to to life a healthy life - physically and emotionally and your chances of staying clean once you come off sub will be much better, in my opinion. But I do think you need to be on a stable dose and take that it at the same time every day. If you're still triggered to need suboxone, how will you handle when you get off it and your cravings for opiates return? Have you learned new coping skills to handle triggers/cravings or any relapse prevention?

Please know I'm not trying to be rude, but if you really want off sub, you need to really be ready for it, in every way. Try to think of sub the same way you would your BP medication and try to take it and forget about it. You have the illness of addiction and right now you're on a medication for it.

Anyway, I hope I haven't said anything to upset you. I only want to see you succeed. And again - welcome. I'm confident you'll find the support and information here that you're looking for. There are some really terrific people here. Best of luck to you.

Post subject: My Tapering
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 pm 

Just a quick note to say that I too went from 24 to 16 to 12 without any ill effects. I'm at 12 now but doubt if I'll have a problem going straight to 8mgs.

Do what you think is best from what you've gathered from all the posts you received.

And I'd like to add that you've done really well taking nothing else but Sub all these years. I can't say that. I feel better with some Xanax but only take it about one week out of the month. And only .75mgs so it is a small amount. It just levels me out but I feel guilty for it.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CiIR - It's good to hear from you, I was wondering what had happened. Many people have said they found it easy to taper from high doses down to 8mg. (I actually tapered down to 4mg quite quickly at one point and felt nothing). Its at the lowest doses that you really start to feel the difference. So please start taking it slow now, and really let yourself adjust to a lowered dose before you reduce again. And like Hat said, reduce in much smaller increments. Best of luck to you.
Lilly

Post subject: Day 2 on 4mg!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for your quick reply! So, Wednesday I took 4mg in the am and 2mg in the pm...for a total of 6mg on Wednesday. Yesterday I woke up around noon since I didn't have work, waited an hour, and took my 4mg. I then fell asleep around 5pm and slept (not very good sleep - very restless) until 5am this morning! So, yesterday, I only took 4mg. So, today, I woke up at 5:40am to go to work, and arrived there at 6am in bad condition. I even had a co-worker ask if I was 'dope sick'...I sneezed about 12 times in a row, had the yawning, watery eyes, skin was crawling, hot & cold, etc. Despite some of the comments I've been left, I truly do not believe that if I skipped a day, that I would have been ok...even back when I was on higher doses. Anyways, I stuck it out until about 9am. I then took 4mg. My freakin' back is KILLING me for some reason - This is the lower back pain I remember that has caused relapses for me years ago... I would get clean from heroin and then have such wicked lower back pain whenever I was PMSing, that I would end up back on the opiates in no time... Anyways, I am going to try hard to not take the other 2mg (1/4 of an 8mg) tonight, or else I'm going to try to wait until WAYYY later if at all to take it. I mean, it was uncomfortable this morning, and I was definitaly irritable and easily annoyed (especially by my coworkers booming voices coming over the intercom...ugh) but it was tolerable: I've been wayyy sicker in the past. I was still able to type and see patients and such so we'll see. I'm not going to rush this, but hopefully my body can acclimate to the 4mg per day by the end of the weekend. Also, I heard on some other thread that no matter if you jump completely off at 2mg's or 0.2mg's, that the WD's are going to be the same!? Have any of you heard that - it seems logical in some respects, but it also seems like - why the hell would so many people taper and why would doctor's taper you if that was the case!? anyways, I hope you all are well and thanks again for your support! Keep these posts coming!!! I'm going to go shopping now and try and distract myself for the afternoon/evening... Oh! One more thing I wanted to mention: I wonder if it's because of the fact that I've been free of illicit drugs for 5+ years, but even when I was experiencing WD's this morning, I didn't have the least bit of craving for heroin - my drug of choice - I'm assuming that this is because my brain has been trained for so long to look to the Subs and not the dope...Weird... Just thought I'd throw that in there...
<3 CiR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CIR,

I was wondering if you might be approaching or have past below the 'ceiling' of suboxone. Your wd symptoms seem a little on the nasty side for the 4mg to 6mg level. Once you get to the 'ceiling' area, you may need to slow your taper down. UGH, WD sucks!

You were asking if jumping from 2mg or .2mg would produce similar wd symptoms. I don't know if that's true or not, my opinion is that it would, for the most part, be false. I do belive this, I think the piper has to be paid sooner or later. One could jump off at 2mg and 'get it over with' and pay the piper really quickly or one might taper down to .2mg and pay the piper more slowly along the way. I think a lot of it depends on your personality and how long you're prepared to be in wd.

You mention even though you were experiencing wd symptoms this morning, you had no cravings. WOO HOO!! Isn't that a nice feeling!! I remember being where you are and having those craptacular symptoms and I too had no cravings. This has been said many times here before, but it bears repeating, Suboxone gives us the chance to get our heads right. It gives us a chance to step away from active addiction. It enables healthy thinking and combined with a good counselor or a good recovery program, the potential results are incredible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dear Romeo,
I think reading your post was exactly what I needed right now. It's 1:30am and I've already taken my 6mg for the day. I guess I just dropped below that ceiling with this last decrease, as I feel like absolute CRAP right now! Craptacular is my new favorite word. I will use it and think fondly of your post as soon as I can lol...Anyways...I was debating taking another 2mg or even a 4mg so I could get some decent sleep tonight and then just try again tomorrow with the tapering...but hell, I'm yawning SO MUCH I'm definitely going to be able to sleep, simply based on the fact that I've been up since before 6am... To take a little piece (or even a half) more...this is the question...Hopefully I'll just pass out, but if not, I'm doing it...seriously...maybe I'm not as ready as I thought, or maybe trying the whole: 8mg Tues, 6mg Wed, 4mg Thurs, and 6mg today just screwed me up...yuk! Trying to go to fast with the 4 on Thursday I think has left me weak lol... Also, for those of you who are avid ciggarette enthusiasts, when tapering, did cigarettes taste like total CRAPola to you all too?? I can barely stomach a cigg with the WD's I felt this AM...I almost was thinking of quitting those too, but I guess one thing at a time here is a smarter idea... Hope to hear from you guys soon:)
CiR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey CiR -

I just wanted to chime in and wish you good luck with your taper. I tapered off Suboxone 17 months ago by slowly tapering down to a very low dose. My withdrawal wasn't too bad, I didn't have to take time off of work or anything. The first 2 weeks were the most intense and then it got better and better until I felt totally normal. If you want to read about my taper, it's in the Liquid Suboxone Taper Method thread, and on page 2 or 3 of that thread there is a link to the thread I started when I stopped Suboxone completely.

Some thoughts I had for you - If you are having a really hard time with withdrawal symptoms as you reduce below the ceiling level, you could ask your doc for some comfort meds. I had good luck with Clonidine and I also took clonazepam to help with the withdrawal. Clonidine helps with a lot of the physical symptoms, including the sneezing and goosebumps and hot flashes, but it made me very tired so I took a half dose unless I wanted to sleep. It helped with anxiety too, and it's not a benzo so most doctors are pretty comfortable prescribing it.

I remember that getting down to and then below the ceiling level was difficult for me. At that time I started splitting my dose and one thing that worked for me was taking 1mg in the am and 3mg in the pm. For me, being active and distracted during the day made it easier to cope with the w/d symptoms, but if I couldn't sleep at night I just couldn't function. Taking the majority of my dose at night ensured that I slept well and the 1mg got me through the days ok. Make sure that you are keeping your meds under your tongue for as long as possible to get max absorption too - it really helps.

Getting below 4mgs was hard as well and I went down and then back up again a few times. At one point I was down to 2mgs and then I had a bunch of life stress and I got sick and I ended up back up to 4mgs for a little while. Just take your time and try to be patient and have faith that you will get there. I spoke with my doctor about the difficulty I was having and he gave me the clonidine which really helped me get back down below 4mgs again.

Once I got down lower, it seemed like I had an easier time with the withdrawal symptoms. I'd been through it and I knew what to expect, so I scheduled my dose decreases so the effect would hit me on my days off - plus, I knew that it wouldn't last forever and that I'd stablize in 4 or 5 days so the uncertainty didn't get to me mentally as much anymore. If I remember correctly, I went from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1.5 and then I sucked it up and did a big jump from 1.5 to 1mg in order to get ready for the liquid taper I was planning. This all took a matter of months, by the way.

Then to get below 1mg, I did the liquid method. I went down to 0.8 and then I lowered by .1 mg every 2 to 4 weeks, just feeling my way along. I think just knowing yourself and how you react and factoring in what you have going on in your life is the best way to schedule how fast you want to taper. I don't know if you are just trying to lower your dose or if you intend to stop altogether, but either way it's a good way to go in my opinion.

Other things that really help are exercise (yoga was great for me and walking and dance), healthy diet, supportive social interactions, laughing a lot, keeping perspective, and reminding myself that even when I felt like crap it was good because my body was adjusting to making its own endorphins again.

Let me know if I can help you out along the way, take care of yourself and keep posting.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CiR,

DOAQ brings up some excellent points. The clonidine helped me A LOT, so I'm going to reiterate that point!

I think what you are going to have to do is find a taper schedule that works for you. Some people rocket down at 20% every week and are good like that. Some people go very, very slowly and that works great for them. Try to find your own schedule, one that works good for you and your mind/body.

I know I HATED hearing this during my wd, but here goes.....you can function very close to normal on very few hours of sleep! I know it sucks laying in bed staring at the ceiling, no wait, it's craptacular! But, it can be done. I'm living proof that you can go to work all day and function pretty close to normal on only 2.5 to 3.5 hours of sleep for weeks on end.

I hope by now you're off in la la land. I'm going back there shortly too.

OH Yeah, why don't they just add insult to injury by making our cigarettes taste like someone laced them with dog crap! I know exactly what you're talking about. But, thank goodness, I'm a super stubborn individual who refuses to admit to himself just how absolutely crappy the cigarettes taste and I push on, hoping for better tasting cig's to find their way to me. BTW, no luck yet, but then again it's only been 8 months. Just a drop in the bucket baby, I think I can hold out for years to come. YIKES, I told another member I was going to quit...I hope they don't read this post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know what I'm beginning to wonder about the tapering process is this:

Let's say you taper down slowly from 16mg to 4mg.....now you're right about AT the ceiling at 4mg, most people say. It's when you get below the 4mg that it starts to get difficult.

So, I wonder if it's really beneficial for us to drag out that time below the ceiling? You know what I mean?

For me, it got very difficult to deal with cravings and urges at around 2mg, and what I wonder is, if I just quit and toughed it out for a week, would it be any better than prolonging that agony I felt at 2mg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jan. 29th~
I did end up taking another 4mg last night...which is totally bizzaro! I ended up with a total of 10mg then yesterday...which is the opposite direction than I'm working towards! I am definitely looking to get off completely, and as a counselor in the field of addiction, I recommend slow tapers to all my patients (methadone).... Anyhow, I had 4mg, then 2mg, then the other 4mg last night - By the time I sent that post through last night, my legs were on fire and I just wanted to be able to sleep! So, I'm trying to go with only 6mg today, which I know I'm making a mess of this whole thing at this point - I was stable on 8mg per day for so long, I don't understand why I felt like total crap all day! I think I'm better off dosing once per day than spacing out little pieces, as I've noticed the WD's are much worse... Maybe it's all in my head, but anyways I took 6mg at once today (3/4 of the 8mg pill) so I feel great so far....most likely due to that extra 4mg last night.[hr]
To: Diary of a Quitter:
I wish I could ask my MD for the Clonodine...Unfortunately, if you've read my previous posts, you'd know that he's a total CRAPHOLE! (to put it mildly)... Anyways, he thinks I'm still at 24mg a day, for the past 5 years, and is TOTALLY against me tapering, which I'm assuming is due to the fact that he is a money hungry doctor who has no intentions of getting anyone COMPLETELY off of anything! He tells me my chances of relapse are 90% and he is the most discouraging person I have encountered when discussing my taper. So, basically, I have to do ALL OF THIS behind his back with no medical advice, which I don't recommend. I know, I should change doctors right? Not going to work; there's a lot more too it that I might have previously documented. He is also so against benzodiazepines (Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc, etc) that he flipped out when his partner prescribed me .25 Ativans for my intense panic attacks, and told me "you should know better, and you know the addictive potential"... BAHHH!! Anyways, I take one of those VERY RARELY and I'm not about to get reliant on anything else; if I could get ahold of some Clonodine, I totally would, but I've been so removed from the drug game for so long, I wouldn't even know who to ask. Anyways, I feel like, at this point atleast, that I have enough Subs that I don't have to suffer right now. I will take it slow, and maybe when I'm on a WAYYYY lower dose, I will attempt to come clean with him and explain what I've been doing, and ask him for help. Maybe when he realizes that I've gone from 24mg a day for five years to whatever low dose I eventually get to, he will be more apt to help me and assist me with getting off completely. He has my monthly urine drug screen results to help back me up at that point, so we'll see....
[hr]
To Romeo:
Maybe you should try quitting the ciggs next! LOL! Seriously, that's my plan for once I get off these things. One thing at a time I hope! 8 months is HUGE! So, let me get this straight, you're totally OFF of Subs, and still posting!? That's awesome!!!! Seriously!
[hr]
And I totally commend you ALL on your progress! Suboxone is NO JOKE and I am beginning to think that people don't take it as seriously as they do other drugs. I know people who will use heroin, percs, oxy's, and subs like they're candy, but the thought of methadone to them is totally taboo! I don't get it...Lack of education somewhere along the line I suppose!
[hr]
Another issue: I have been given the pills for most of the past 5+ years up until a couple of months ago, when I was prescribed the film strips. I told my MD that they almost burned under my tongue!?... I have been asking for the pills and he said he will give them to me, but for only the next couple of months, which I think is crap. He claims, they're totally going to stop making the pills, and only make the strips - Have any of you heard this??? I think he's just getting more $$ from Reckitt Beckisner, or whatever the manufacturer is, to push the strips. Check out the suboxone website - it has all of these so called "perks" about the strips and doesn't even mention the pills! I think there's some kind of conspiracy going on here lol...Who knows....

~CiR~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry if I missed it, but have you thought about every other day tapering? Like 8-6-8-6, etc. That's a pretty painless way to drop down 1 mg at a time.

As for the doctors pushing the film, well, RB has convinced them that they are better because they supposedly have a lower chance of diversion. I've heard people say their doctors told them the same - that the pills will be phased out. My doctor didn't tell me that, in fact when I told him I didn't like the strips he put me back on the tablets. Many of us think that RB came up with the strips/film to have a new patent. And if everyone starts using them then even if someone comes out with a generic tablet, they're more likely to stay on the strips. It's all about $$$. That's my theory anyway.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I always hesitate to make this recommendation, but Councilor, I guess I can just put it this way: Clonidine is pretty easily available over the Internet and without a prescription. It's not like it's a controlled substance or anything. So if your doctor won't provide it for you, it is likely only a few mouse clicks away out of Canada or even from inside the USA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh is absolutely correct. Actually, we had a member just few weeks ago order Clonidine from the net and he received them in no time. It's an option if you want to look into it. I believe the thread is Day 4 off 4mg - Help and the members name is inneed.

Yeah, 8 months no suboxone, no nothing! I had a couple of close calls, but my motto now is it's OK to bend, just don't break!! The couple of close calls serve as learning opportunites, they actually made me stronger!

Don't get too bummed out about your taper Miss Counselor. You got down to 8mg and stabilized there, right. Then you went to 6mg, how long at 6mg?

I just saw how you did 8mg Tues, 6mg Wed, 4mg Thurs, then last night hit you....now I see why. By Friday, you had a serious drop in your suboxone blood concentration. Your body was pretty upset with you!!

Personally, I like the 10% or 15% reduction. Stay there until I would stabilize. Then repeat.

Either way you go, I wish you luck. I know how trying it can be.

Post subject: Hi CIR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and sorry I haven't ever replied to you yet. I was reading but it seems like everyone got all the important stuff down already.

I just wanted to throw out a few things. You know, whenever I read any thread like this it's had to know what the safe thing to say is. I mean, part of me wonders if you are really ready for this, but the other part of me knows what it's like once my own mind is made up and it sounds like your mind is in fact, very made up. :wink: So, I'd just echo what has already been said about relapse. IF you relapse, please relapse onto Suboxone. So, as far as your taper goes, I'm tapering too and I've struggled so badly with it and failed a number of times. I read that you felt really yucky and so you took 4 mg extra, right? I hope I'm getting that accurate. Well, my thought on tapering successfully is that there are times we need to take more, but in general, when you go down and then go back up because you cannot handle it, it takes a toll on your resolve and faith in yourself. Or I should say MY resolve and MY faith in MYSELF. I believe it's better to go more slowly and not ever have to feel the 'failure' of taking more. I put that in quotes because it's not really a failure when your overall trend is downward, but at least for me, it psyched me out so badly every time I had to tap out and take extra. Just consider that when planning how much to taper. Slower can certainly be better and even faster in the long run. Have you tried cutting the films? I have the small films, but I'm thinking the 8-mg ones can be cut into small pieces too. I've cut the 2's into eight pieces, so I'm assuming the 8's can be cut that small too, and then you could go down 1 mg at a time and you wouldn't have to take any extra, as least for a while. Just a thought. I still have something I call my 'tap out' point, which is the point when I will admit to myself that I'm just too ill and will take a little extra. We all have our limits! You've made a huge amount of progress and I would give you a big hug if not for the computer issue.

donh and Romeo, wow, thanks for that Clonidine tip because my doctor will not give it to me and he acts as if he's never even heard of it being used for Sub w/d. I thought it was a pretty common thing.....Anyway, as I get lower, I'm gonna need it, or at least could really use it. A few clicks, huh?

Hat, I agree that it is largely about money with the films. I thought it was funny to hear my doctor trying to plead the case for the films. All of a sudden these tabs I've been on for 5 years are bad because (1) my kid may take them because they are citrus flavored so they are so tempting (2) they are inconvenient because they are in a 'big, huge' bottle that 'rattles' in my purse which is 'embarrassing' (3) they take sooooo long to dissolve. I just found that hysterical because none of these factors have ever been mentioned as a problem before the films and I wasn't given the option of switching to a better thing. It's just THE only thing he prescribes now, so I don't know why he even tried to sell me on it. Is it a liability issue for the doctors? Both because of diversion and kids getting their hands on them? I really think that if my 3-year old was so unsupervised that she could access my Suboxone, get past the kid-resistant bottle, and then eat my Suboxone, well then she'd have enough time to climb up and get her baby scissors and snip the film packet open, and if this was indeed the scenario, then I'd need a whole lot more help than just switching the form of my Suboxone.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ugh! I just read all your recent posts. So, as for an update, I did 6mg yesterday day and then caved and took an extra 4mg last night! I just felt so terrible! My boyfriend was touching my arm and I wanted to bite his head off and jump out of my skin. And that is just no fun at all on date night!!! Anyways, I've only taken 6mg today and I plan on going to bed early, so that I can avoid taking any more. I am going to try hard again this week to stay just at 6mg per day. After re-reading what I wrote the other day, I can clearly see my error, and I do know that my levels in my blood made my body flip out! I need to be consistent, and I'm a pretty inconsistent person. I keep filling the "void" I feel with delicious cookies and junk food - no good! But I did do some sit ups and helped shovel the roof today, so I could tire myself out a bit!

Romeo~ thanks for your replies, I am beginning to look forward to them. You guys are all super supportive and I know as long as I keep consistent with my doses, times I take them, etc., that I can surely get the hell off! Thank you as well for the link for the Clolodine - I thought it was Rx and I wouldn't be able to get it online! Also, I read about that Gabatrol on another thread - See Gabatrol.com for some more info on that if you're interested - I haven't found any concrete proof on its effectiveness while tapering, but the MD on here seems to like it and promote it...

Laddertipper~ My doctor gave me that same load of crap. And frankly, I've never been embarrased my rattling tictacs, nor have I ever bitched about the "ginormous" bottle of pills I carry around. I think the strips are SUPER pain-in-the-assy to open! They drive me nuts and if I don't have scissors, I either end up ripping the actually strip while opening, or shredding the packaging with my teeth! As I've posted previously, I do sort of look forward to switching to the strips again, but only because I can cut them smaller!

Anyways, thank you guys again and I'll be sure to keep you all updated...It's just so screwed up right now... I work 6am-2pm and I have to go to sleep SO EARLY when I have work the next day. When I don't have work, or when I stay over my BF's house, it seems like I'm up to midnight or 3am even - sometimes later! My sleeping patterns are screwed up and I can function on 2 hours of sleep, but not happily. I don't look forward to my sleep being messed with as I keep going down. The only perk so far is the extremely weightloss and the fact that I have some more energy...So glad I have somewhere to vent!! Talk to you all soon:)
CiR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm, date night with you sounds like date night with Hannibal Lecter!! HAHA lol

Ah Ha, you say you're a pretty inconsistent person. Thanks for mentioning that and now I'm obviously going to tell you that inconsistent + taper = Ouch!

My best advice to you at this particular moment in time is to go back to 8mg, stabilize again then try a % based taper. I just had an Excel spread sheet spit these numbers out. It's based on a 15% taper. The numbers are all in mg.

6.80 I would do 7mg here.
5.78 I would do 6mg here.
4.91 I would do 5mg here.
4.18 I would do 4mg here. etc. etc.

Of course, if you get to where you can live at 6mg in the next couple of days, start at the 6mg dose then taper accordingly. I certainly didn't mean to insult you by stating the obvious? I do silly stuff like that from time to time.

You might notice that dropping slower, you stabilize a lot quicker too. You might actually go a lot faster by using a smaller % drop. Just a thought.

Lastly, I found it very, very beneficial to split that dose up to 2 or 3 or 4 times per day dosing. Whatever works for you Miss Counselor lady is the best taper in the world!

Yum, I love cookies and junk food too. I don't think it's a terrible idea to fill the void with sweets, unless you have an eating disorder, then you have to be very careful. I eat candy and chocolate (frozen Reeses Cups) everyday, I'm a chocaholic, no doubt. In my case, it's much, much better to go the chocolate route than the opiate route. Thank goodness my metabolism is still pretty decent, I'm only about 10lbs overweight.

Hey, thanks for the Gabatrol link!!

BTW, you're doing great, you just don't know it yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo~
Hannibal is an extreme! Maybe the old man from the movie The Unborn would be a better analogy - If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link to a pic of him!
http://vrempire.com/movies/chilling-my- ... movie.html
ANYWAYS, I wonder what's up with you men and the Reese's addiction. As I mentioned, my BF, who has tapered off of methadone in the past, has been a Reese's-a-holic ever since! He eats them to go to sleep believe it or not...Weirdos!

So, as for an update, I stuck with 6mg yesterday, went to bed at 9pm because I had to work at 6am this morning, and I was FINE. This morning I felt a little crappy when I got up, but that subsided and I put off my dosing until after 9am. This worked so far and I feel better and more stable now that I'm not being a wacko with my dose. So, I like you're spreadsheet figures, however, I don't know how to measure 3.55 to 3.02...I don't want to get THAT crazy with being exact. I try to eyeball my dose when I break up the pills, and I know this would be WAYY easier with the strips, as they're bigger and you can cut, measure, etc., but I HATE THEM! I liked the liquid taper method via DioQ...as he mentioned in his thread about disolving and measuring the smaller doses out. I plan to do that once I'm wayy lower. I'm just not sure at this point how to get to down that low. Since I can only get the 8mg pills (due to my doctor not "allowing" me to taper off - after 5 years at 24mg in case you all didn't know this already) I believe my difficulty is going to come some time around 1-2mg. I suppose I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it, however, it's not THAT far away...

ALSO~
    It's so MESSY to keep breaking up these pills. I could be taking 5.something or 6 or 7.something - since they don't break evenly, it's all an eyeball guestimate...I am now off to read some different posts and see if anyon'e's come up with another way to get this breaking up thing any more accurate. I could dissolve them; that's pretty time consuming, plus I will need to go out and buy something to measure it with, etc. Perhaps I can weigh it out? I know my iPhone has a scale application - anyone ever tried that!? Let me know if yes!! Thanks!
    CiR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next