It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello ya'll...I think I came to this site and made an account a few years ago but couldn't remember what my account name was so made a new one.....I was on subs for 8 (ish)? years and im pretty sure it kept me from dying from a 3-4 hundred mg OC habit daily....a lot of people I know think 8 years is too long but I took 4mg a day as prescribed and stayed away from all other drugs....the time was crucial to me as it takes along time to change all the things about your life that make you want to use....I had to get rid of pretty much all my friends and change my job and really just change everything about my life and like said that takes time....if I would have tried to get off in 1 or 2 years or less like a lot of doctors now want you to I probably would have relapsed. Luckily my doctor was of the idea that I could take it as long as I needed to, even if I needed to stay on it forever. Eventually, I got over a lot of the things that made me depressed, and a lot of the shame that we feel as addicts and I decided it was time to stop the subs as well. I came to a point where I was transferring jobs and states as my girlfriend who is a zookeeper needed to move so I told my company I was taking 3 months of personal leave (luckily has almost that saved up in vacation pay so used that) and went to rehab....probably should have planned better and weaned down first but it all came about kind of fast....not going to lie coming off subs is not easy at all....had all the heroin addicts laughing at me as they were feeling bad that I would have such a harder time than them but I got thru it okay after 6 weeks of pure hell I feel good now......I guess that is pretty much my story in general but I am here if anyone has questions as I im a person who believes big time that suboxone can save lives and I also believe that either staying on subs or getting off can both be good and depend on the individual person and their situation.....getting off them if you aren't ready is dangerous and I've had friends OD and die like that so if you are happy and functional on the subs don't let people who don't understand it make you feel bad about it...my family did for awhile as they still considered me as using drugs but I didn't let it bother me as they were coming from a place of love and ignorance....good luck to you all, I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:43 pm 

Hi CJ, and welcome back to the forum! I think I remember a member whose girlfriend was a zookeeper, although that's all I remember.

Congratulations for being very mindful of what you've needed over the years. We see many people here who don't have that kind of clarity. I hope you and your family is very proud of what you've accomplished in the last 8/9 years!

I hope you stick around to share the wisdom that you've gained and earned!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will try to stick around...helping others also helps us as I know too well.....like a lot of people the hardest part for me was my loved ones not really understanding suboxone and always thinking that somehow my 4mg a day of suboxone must be getting me high or something or otherwise why would I keep taking it.....they never really understood until after about 3-4 years when they started researching it that if I came off it before I was ready that the whole process could start over again....I needed to get the compulsion to use completely out of my head and only I knew how long that would take.....hopefully I can help someone else not make that mistake because starting over with the relapse and recover process gets harder and harder each time.