It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HI,

I just joined here and thought I would introduce myself and share a little. I have been on Suboxone for several years now and it truly saved my life, but I am sure you have heard that before. I was an addict for 10 years. I developed quite a few severe health issues and all the Dr.'s knew what to do was to put me on pain pills. I spent my life in the hospital during those 10 years as well on IV pain meds (Delaudid), with numerous surgeries, (I lost count). For the first few years I used the pain pills just as prescribed. Then when one wasn't enough, it became 2 at a time, 3 at a time....and so forth. My depression became worse and I noticed the more I took the more I felt better. Over the years I took them to just feel normal. I hated it. I felt like it was a prison. I was introduced to Suboxone by a Dr. as I was inpatient for severe depression. I felt like a new person. I didn't have to make sure I had enough pills with me whenever I went any where "just in case". I felt like I did before I was introduced to pain pills. Plus they help with my everyday pain. Enough about me! Nice to meet everyone!

:D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome to the forum Roxanne. So many people "develop" into addicts this way with pills. I was never a party guy, but in my mid twenties, I started having bad back pain. Went to my GP who prescribed norcos and somas, which is pretty normal for someone with back pain. Well after about 6 months of taking as prescribed, my addiction developed, and snowballed from there. Multiple doctors, pill mills, rehabs, and about 15 years later, I finally found suboxone. Been on it for 2 years or so, never had any issues going back to the pills. Depression is also very commonplace for addicts, as the years of ups and downs, and stress associated with "addict life" takes a toll on us mentally. I took Prozac for a couple years, but have been off of it since I've been on suboxone, as one medication has seemed to help with my depression as well (others have also posted about how bupe has alleviated their depression-but others as well state no change in mood/depression from taking the medication). Anyway, welcome, I'm glad you got the help you need, as it sounds like you're in a good place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I can say Sub does help with depression coupled with antidepressants and Gabapentin. Here's to one hour at a time!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got this article today: Opioid modulation may improve treatment-resistant depression

Here is the link: http://www.healio.com/psychiatry/depression/news/online/%7B3713d618-50d4-4fb9-a6a9-1ae7536db5d2%7D/opioid-modulation-may-improve-treatment-resistant-depression?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=psychiatry%20news

I'd read a week ago that the FDA denied the latest request for approval of the drug, which combines buprenorphine and a mu antagonist called Samidorphan. I believe that there were some doses found effective that are going to be put through additional trials.

Clearly, some patients have depression that is linked more closely to opioid function than in other people. I would expect that eventually we'll diagnose multiple forms of depression-- each with their own treatment approach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome Roxanne!
I'm sorry you have endured all that you have with your health. I hope that side of things is much better for you.
I'm glad suboxone is working well for You too. We are so very lucky to have it!
I look forward to hearing more from you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the welcome! I am going to read that article. My depression definitely improved with Suboxone. I despise depression so much as much as being addicted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:00 am 

Welcome to the forum Roxanne :)

Thanks for sharing ur story with us. I had anxiety and depression due to opiate use. I never really had depression until after I started using. I had zero spark in my life and was only going through the motions during those days. After I started suboxone, everything changed. It was the best decision I've ever made that's for sure, and I'm glad u made it too!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:34 pm 

I just want to say Welcome! as well! Thanks for sharing your story and it's great to have you here!

Amy