It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Verdana] [/font] Hi Everyone- I am new here, as well as new to Subs. I just started Subs 2 weeks ago, today!! Wow, 14 days...and I made it. I am not sure if I am posting in the right place, I am still learning my way around this site...so, please forgive me if this was supposed to go somewhere else.

Anyhow...just a brief history, I have been addicted to Percocets for over 7 years. I also used Vics, Tramadol, Methadone, etc...to help keep me out of W/D when I ran out of my percs. Anyhow, I started on Sub (after almost a year of deliberating..how dumb was I, to put off getting myself better...uuhhgg!!) almost 15 days ago, and was doing really good the first 4 days, and then started having issues. I also have some serious pain issues, that I will post about in the proper area. I decided to learn to deal with my pain, with out the help of Opiates. My biggest issue right now is dosing. I started at 16mgs the first day...and found that 8mg in the AM, and 8mg at night seemed to work better. However, the morning dose puts me back to sleep. So I tried taking all of it at night, and then I was back awake in a few hours. For some reason, the past few days I have been very irritable..and I have some RLS in the mornings. I know that I probably can't get away with out the morning dose...(due to the RLS..or is that in my head??) however, any ideas on how to balance out on the right dose. By the way, my doctor is NOT very educated on Sub, so, I am pretty much on my own. Either way, I am NOT going to give up...I will keep working on this every day. I just wanted to know if anybody had any suggestions on how to find the right dose. Thanks again for any help. I usually worry about posting on sites, cause I worry I will say something stupid. Take care, and thanks again.......Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lisa and a very warm welcome to the forum. I hope you find as much support here as I have.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I'm no doctor, but it could be as simple as giving it more time. The dose you're on should be saturating your receptors fully, so you shouldn't be having any withdrawal symptoms. It's funny, some people report sub making them sleepy while others say they can't sleep on it. So you're not alone! I don't feel right telling you to mess with the dosing your doctor put you on, because in the end I'm just some addict on an online forum. But you could try something like cutting your dose in the morning and see how you feel, if it makes you less sleepy.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. But I wanted to at least welcome you and give you some support. We're glad you found the forum and hope you stay and keep posting.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: dosing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi there--I've had a lot of trouble with dosing too..it really does seem to be a common issue with sub..well, that is really true for many medications, certainly for psych meds...finding the right dose can be both very important AND difficult to determine. So..I am sorry I can't be of any real help with that either, but I can tell you I have learned a lot about suboxone from the information shared on this forum, and that has helped me a lot...so I just want to encourage you to post and read posts and share knowledge and experiences on this site...and I hope you will find this site helpful too. Also, one thing I do know is that the "ceiling effect" of suboxone is important...and that it can take some time for the suboxone to start working without giving you some side effects. I had trouble sleeping on it at first too, and in fact, felt pretty wacked-out high on it for the first month I was taking it....my doctor only told me to take less, or quit taking it, so...it's been a long struggle for me...but I hope that you will stablize much more quickly than I have.....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Still working on dosing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi There- Thank you so much for the wonderful info, as well as the warm welcome. I can NOT beleive that I spent almost a year researching Subs, before going on it. Today is my 2 week anniversary...and I keep plugging away. I have been reading on here about how important it is to try to dose at the same time...every day...and I think that is where I ran into problems. Mainly because the night dose was working well..but, when it came to morning, I was NOT waking up at the same time each day. I know that it has only been two weeks, and I have to give my body time to adjust...and what an adjustment it is. For the past 7 years I was taking a pretty HIGH dose of percs...so, I know I can NOT expect to be perfect over night.

The doctor started me at 16mgs a day...and I was splitting it into two doses..then I tried ONCE a night dosing...and neither one was working...so..this morning, I took 2mg to see if I could stay awake....(still fell back asleep for a while) then tonight I took 4mgs. I am not sure if I am too low just yet....but, I am hoping at some point the lowest dose will start working. I honestly tried to take the whole 16mgs in a day...but, I think it was too much. I was getting horrible head aches. So...I am going to keep working my way thru this...one way or another, I am NOT going to give up. I am SO happy that I made this choice, and I am so happy to have found this site. Thank you very much for ALL your help and support....it is very comforting. Take care....Lisa

Post subject: Welcome to the Site....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:46 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Lisa,
Hello and Welcome to what I think is the Best Forum on the Web for Recovery and Suboxone.
First you don't need to worry about your post'. Nobody out here will judge you! If you think something is worth posting then IT IS worth posting.. You are in the right spot to talk about your dosing issues and if you ever feel like telling a little more about your story you can post in "My addiction story" or " Introductions" section.. Wherever you like... :)
Now as far as your dose goes. I am NOT a Dr. or Health care professional..... Just an addict in Recovery. That being said i have a couple of questions for you. Are you on the Suboxone for Pain Mgmt. or just for help with your addiction? The reason i ask is because some people out here or using the Suboxone for pain as well.!!! In those cases they seam to dose more frequently thru the day. (i.e. Splitting your 16 mgs. evenly thru the day?) As Always you should discuss ANY changes in your medication with your Dr. .... Again Welcome to the Forum and please feel free to look around and enjoy it. There are many people out here that are trying to do the same thing you are..... It just seams that if we do it together it makes it a little easier sometimes....... I hope you keep coming back and you put up some more topics. If you have any questions feel free to ask any of the Moderators or fellow members and someone will get you an answer.... May not be the right answer but we will get you one.... :) LOL! Take care of yourself and hope hear from you again soon....

God Bless
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:22 pm 
Hi Lisa and congratulations on getting into recovery and having 2 weeks clean! When I first got on Sub drowiness was my biggest side effect too, but after 3-4 weeks I adjusted to it and it wasn't so much of an issue. Also, you said you wanted to lower your dose. Thay may be a good idea, but dropping form 16mg tto 6mg in a couple of days seems like a lot . You might want to taper down a little more slowly. Since you just started, you should probably be seeing your doctor soon, so talk about your dose with him/her. I wish you all the best. And stick around the forum. There are a lot of great people here.
Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your replies. Before I go on, I want to make sure I cover any questions that was asked....and I will post my story in the proper section as well. Unfortunately I ended up with a doctor that is NOT very educated...though, he is acceptable. ( I suppose) Anyhow...when I first went to him, and was induced on Subs, I tried talking to him about the reason I was put on pain meds to start with...and he pretty much blew me off. The second appt, I tried again talking to him...still didn't get far. SO..I decided to take things into my own hands...and continue pouring thru these forums. I went on Subs to break the addiction cycle, however, the same day I started Subs...I was also hit with my Endometreosis, and a SEVERE migraine.

I had read that if I dose in smaller amounts, it could help for pain....so, after I picked myself up off the bathroom floor, and PRAYING the entire time for God to pull me up out of this.....I went and took a small amount of Sub, and the doctor did say I could take Advil. With that and my trusty heating pad, I made it thru those next three days. But, I am coming up on it again, next week, and am TERRIFIED!!! Now..where I got myself into trouble was trying to take the smallest amount of Sub possible, to get thru the day. It wasn't until a family member told me to NOT try to be a HERO, that I realized I was trying to do too much, too fast. So, even though it has only been 2 weeks, and almost 2 whole days, since I started Sub....I am now trying to dose 2mg in the morn, 2mg around 3:00PM, then 4mgs, at night. I know that I am actually dosing at exactly HALF the original dose I was started on...but, I am caught between pain issues, and then either being sleepy, or NOT being able to sleep at all. Anyhow...sorry this is so long....I am going to jump over to some of the other stories on here, and try to post a little about myself in the proper place. Thanks again for such a warm welcome. It is deeply appreciated...and needed as well. Take care, Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again, Lisa,

I just wanted to add that I take suboxone also for two chronic pain conditions. I dose at 8 mg, either 2 or 3 times per day and it does make my pain manageable. When I tapered down for surgery recently, I realized that the smaller doses (4 mg) didn't help my pain as much as the higher doses. I would encourage you to stabilize on one set dose, taken at the same time(s) everyday, before you mess with your dose anymore. Allow your body to get used to it. Many people report the sleepiness will go away. Good luck and keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Still working on it!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone- Thank you for ALL the wonderful info on how to get the dosing issue worked out. I have decided to take 4mgs of Sub in the morning, another 2mgs around 3:00pm, then another 4mg at bed time. I am going to try to "work" thru some of the issues I am having on them, and STICK to this dosing thru the weekend. After reading what you all wrote back to me...I think I cut down WAY TOO FAST. I have read that the goal is to only dose once a day...however, with pain issues I do NOT see being able to do that right now. In time I will work on that...I have to take one step at a time.

Thank you SO much for the encouragement....yesterday was the FIRST time that I struggled with thoughts of the "old me...on pills, and I struggled ALL day with HORRIBLE moods. That could be why I thought about pills. However, I have made it 2 weeks and 2 days on Sub...and I am NEVER LOOKING BACK. Well, I may look back occasionally, let's just say...I AM NEVER going back to my old ways. By the way, I tried to post in the "My Story" section, and after I typed it out, I lost my internet connection. :( I will try again a little later. Thanks again. Take care....Lisa