It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I'd like to introduce myself as I will be around for awhile as I go through my oxycodone/subutex taper.

A little story of how it all started. I was prescribed lortab 3 years ago for a back injury that occurred in the military. I got medically discharged for it and that's where my opiate addiction began. I took the lortab for about a year responsibly. After a year or so I began upping my dose on my own and eventually switched over percocet. I've been prescribed 4 10/325 percocet a day for about a year now. At the peak of my addiction I was taking anywhere from 8-12 a day. I obviously got them from other sources along side of my monthly script. I knew I had a serious problem with them and my wife also knew it. I've been thinking about getting on suboxone to do a taper for awhile now and finally seen a sub doc yesterday.

The program is covered by my insurance and I'm happy about that because the percs have taken the majority of my money. It's a 8-10 week program that uses suboxone/subutex and NA meetings 3 times a week. I filled my script yesterday for 30 8mg subutex pills, prescribed twice a day for a total of 16mg a day. I know this is way too high of a dose and will be posting questions in the induction thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 pm 

Welcome Annon993,

It sounds like a good plan. Please read a lot of old posts in the Induction section so you can get an idea how it works. You will need to be in mild to moderate withdrawal before taking the Sub for the first time. Your receptors must be clear of any other opiates or you'll end up in precipitated withdrawal. Just one day of feeling uncomfortable and then you'll feel good once the Buprenorphine has saturated your receptors.

Did your doctor state how long the treatment plan is? Every one of us is different when it comes to getting off of Suboxone. Some stay on, like me, and some want off fairly soon. Just don't rush it and take it a day at a time, like they say in N.A.

Good to have you with us,

rule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rule, thanks for the reply. My doc said it was an 8-10 week program, however I dropped out. His program requires 5 meetings a week, 3 of them are in his building with his other patients, each one being 2 hours long. He also said I had to attend 2 other meetings during the week, either AA meetings or NA meetings, each one being an hour long. I simply do not have the time or money to go to 5 meetings every week. I live 35 minutes from his office and about an hour from the closest NA meeting.

I will read as much as I can and take the subutex on a taper schedule and hope for the best.