It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New here and new on sub
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Everyone! My name is Maya and I am new to this forum and new to sub. I started suboxone treatment through my dr last week. I am only on 2mg once daily right now, but it seems to do the trick. I can probably be on so low of a dose because I am on Klonopin for anxiety (which my dr has started weaning me off because I shouodnt be on both long term). I take .5 mg Klonopin 2 times a day and like I said I'm weaning off that. I also take cardizem LA for heart arrythmia so that may affect why I can be on such a low dose too.

I have some questions. First of all, I will tell you my story in a nutshell. I was addicted to opiate pain killers, mostly vicoden and oxycodone for the past 2 years. The longest I ever stayed sober is a few weeks and no matter how hard I tried or wanted to be off them, I just kept going back. In the end I was getting them from multiple doc's an my neighbors. I even took some from my parents dog---I know it's crazy how the addicts mind works. Anyway, after only a week in sub my cravings are non-existent and I have my energy back. I do feel pretty spacey and tired especially for the first few hours after dosing---does that go away as I get used to the meds? Also, my dr said I could stay on this for years if it keeps me off the other meds. I am also required to do bi-montly drug screens and go to 3 or more AA or NA meetings a week.

Is 2mg a dose that can help some people? I feel it's really low but it's helping me so I'm ok with that! I know I may have to increase some after i am totally off the Klonopin.

I just wanted to say hi and get some questions answered! Thanks everyone!
Maya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:56 pm 

Hello and welcome :)

Good job on ur suboxone treatment! Isn't it amazing how great it feels to have no cravings? Ur able to wake up in the morning with no worries. If the dose ur on works for u and u aren't having any cravings, then I'd stay at that dose. It's honestly better IMO to start out as low as u can. I sure wish I had but I'm to grateful for regrets lol. So yeah I think that is a good thing. Only u know what works for u, everyone is different and if ur happy that's what counts. As far as the sleepy part ur feeling, that does happen and it happened to me also. And yes it does go away as ur body gets adjusted to ur medicine. I remember I would fall asleep sometimes 30 min after my dose. I can't remember exactly how long that can last but I'm thinking it lasted around 2 months for me. U could be totally different.
Any type of meetings u can go to, def do that. I attend meetings at my clinic and it really helps. I hope u keep us posted on ur progress, this place and suboxone has been such a blessing for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Maya...I myself am a newbie to this (7th week)...The spacey feeling went away for me anyway about the 4th week I think..Like jenn said you will be hella happy you did it..It is a great feeling not to have all those racing thoughts and worries about where the next pills are coming from and worried which sources are gonna compare notes soon lol..Keep posting because it helps believe me the support I have gotten from these guys are priceless..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks everyone! I have found today I did 2.5 mg and it wasn't too much. My sub doc wants me about 4mg a day I am just slowly working up to that because like I said at first it made me SO tired and our of it. That is slowly getting better. I am happy to have found this medication because I can't imagine living with those cravings and crazy feelings thoughts and actions that I had to do to get drugs. I was "red flagged" about 6 months ago because of my drug seeking--and it didn't even phase me. But I worried every time I went to the ER or dr that they would figure out I was addicted and cut me off. I was terrified of that. Then I found my awesome psych doc and she said I am a perfect candidate for sub therapy. How long do you all plan to stay on it? Thanks!
Maya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's awesome Maya,,For me right now I know that if I was to stop sub I would be on the phone the second I started to sneeze and twitch lol..I have been reading some of the stopping suboxone threads lately and there is no way I am strong enough to go through any of the things they are fighting at least right now..I had hella hard time getting to a point to be here today and not dead ..And for almost 7 weeks no cravings nothing except some really bad depression around the second week but its mostly under control now (mostly) lol..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:41 pm 

Hi Maya and welcome to our forum!

I am currently on 2mg of bupe per day. It's a very effective dose for me and it holds me for 24 hours.

I hope more folks come along to give you their opinions!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Maya

Any dose that holds you is the right dose for YOU IMO. It took me a few weeks to feel stable. I have been on a little more than a year & I am very glad i made the decision to go onto sub treatment. I have no plans to go off suboxone but i am also a chronic pain patient so i will need something to take the edge off and i would rather be on sub then the other pills i was on.

I think it's important to have 3 D support and AA or NA meetings are good. I will say that in my area most if not all meetings don't consider us "clean". My suggestion would be Not to share you are taking medication to aid in your recovery, but that's just me. Everyone is free to do what they feel is best. I just wanted to mention it in case it comes up in a meeting.

Hope you get a chance to read around here & post also. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone. So I'm now up to 3mgs a day. My doc wants me on 2-4, she said 4 is prob as high as I need to go. I'm taking it day by day and if I get a craving I just adjust upward by .5mg at a time a day. Has anyone else ever had to change your dose as you started? I've only been on it a little over a week so it may just take time to find my exact dose. I'm hoping 3 will hold me!

As far as AA, yeah, I am not sharing that I'm on sub with anyone there. I look at is as a medication I need, such as some people need an antidepressant, or diabetics need insulin...well, I need sub or else I would cave into my cravings. I tried going sober without sub for 2 years and all it got me was in trouble, stealing meds and taking more and more pain pills. So, for me, I have no plans to go off it in the near future. I don't know if in the distant future I will want to or not, but I'm not even worrying about that now. I have been sober for 14 days now, and all I know is that this is the longest I've made it in 2 years sober and its' only because of the sub....well I know it's me too but the sub has literally taken away my cravings which is so strange (and awesome) to me. I never thought I would ever be able to be craving free and live a productive life. I was always focused on my pills..whether it be taking them, where I would get more and how, when my next one was, etc...It's so freeing not to feel that anymore. I don't wake up thinking about "I need pills to get out of bed" anymore!

So, here's a problem I have...my temporary sponsor that I have til I find one I want to stay with, told me she would never sponsor someone who was on sub. I haven't told her that I'm on it yet. So what do I do? I thought that was very judgemental so I'm not sure I want her as sponser after she said that anyway, but I don't want her to know and then judge me. She said "it's just replacing one pill for another" and that she's "seen everyone who goes on sub relapse", and that "people who are on sub abuse it". I didn't like her when she said those things because she said she's never been on it....so how does she know? For me so far, it's only been a week or a little more, it has helped me so much. My deep depression that I was in has lifted totally, and I have the focus to actually get work done and take care of my child and my home, and I go back to work Feb 2nd and I'm busy getting work done too.

Any advice on finding a sponsor who is ok with sub, or do I do what I think I should do and just not tell anyone in AA I'm on it? Thanks everyone! have a great day!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:17 pm 

Hello Maya,
Glad you have joined us here. As you know this is a great place to find support and facts on everything Sub/bupe.
I did see on your other thread you are looking for the dose that works best. Try staying on one dose for a week and see how you do. I think your at 3 mgs now? Ya, give that dose some time an see if you will stablize there. With 4mgs being your drs advice you can always go up a noch...

As for the sponsor /aa issue, Ive been though this. Without getting to deep into this, id say first off, never speak a word of your sub to anyone there. Not now.
The problem is that once this fact is said, others will learn of it. Your temp sponsor already has a hated for the med, is bias, and closedminded over this. You will not change her mind im afraid. However, there will be others in aa that will understand. Its just finding that person that will be tricky.
This is a tuff issue. Seemly a battle between traditional recovery and Medicine. I do not want to discourage anyone ew to recovery and hopefully you can find the right fit.
They say our secrets keep us sick, and they do, but privacy is important too. My experience was I kept it to myself in na, but it proved to pointless by my 2nd year, they all found out anyway. I think il stop there.

Your doing great Maya!! So glad Sub treatment is working well in your life. Keep posting and ask as many questions as you have..best of luck, a d keep the faith....

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Razor,

So, is there any way to know how many mg of suboxone is equal to how many of oxycodone? I was taking about 10 oxy's a day (5mg) for 2 years...or Vicodin or whatever combo I could get my hands on...hycodan cough syrup etc...so nice to not be wanting that crap all day now. But, is my 3mg dose going to be enough to keep me stable...and if it works for me, will I develop a tolerance to it like I did to the other meds? Or if I'm good at 3 should I be good at 3 for a long time? Thanks so much!
Maya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Maya

I remember my first few weeks on sub very well. For one thing i had a kidney stone lol but i also remember asking the questions you were asking. I was all over the place with what dose i took. I didn't really understand that any change in dose would be felt many many hours or even a day later. It's a long acting medication & oxy (i was on that also) is short acting. When i started to feel it wear off i popped another oxy in my mouth & I felt it within a few minutes and i also felt the need to take more oxy because it wears off quickly. Sub is not like that. A lot of people take one dose a day and it holds them for 24 hours. It's so hard to explain but i agree with those that have said to stay on 3 mg for a week. It was the same suggestion i got, stay on a dose for a week then see how you feel. If you are getting bad cravings then do as your doctor has said. IMO sub is a weird/good medication that takes time to get used to, it did for me anyway. I go to an addiction therapist. He is in recovery himself and goes to AA. I have never asked what he did, drugs or drinking but he really understands me and gives me great support.

In some areas of the USA there are other support groups, one is SMART - you can gogle it and find the online forum then put in your zip code to see if there is a meeting near you. There are others but i can't think of them right now.

When i first went to AA/NA meetings, i just sat back & got the feel for he meeting and the people. I believe there were some people also on sub but they never told anyone.

You are doing the right thing now. Not chasing drugs anymore, not telling a story to get more and most importantly not doctor shopping because that could have gotten you in serious trouble.

Keep reading and keep posting. No question is a stupid question.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 pm 

Maya,
Your dr started you on this lower end dose because of your level of tolerance to the full agonst opiates you were taking.
Buprenorphine has a ceiling effect so your tolerance wont rise to where you will need to keep upping your once you become stable. That ceiling for most people i know is sround 4mgs. For others it can be higher.
The fact that you had a habit around 50mgs of oxy a day has your dr. believing, an me, that you should be fine around the 3 to 4mg range. Your dr did you a favor by not RX more sub than you needed.
You should be good on these lower doses for , well maybe forever.
If you would go over to Dr junigs Talkzone here there are several posts by him eexplaining the ceiling effect in great detail.
He slso has a great Suboxone Users Guide that any newcomer would find helpful.

Hope that helps some....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks everyone! Yesterday I ended up taking 4mg because I started to get "antsy" and that's how I used to feel before the cravings hit. I don't want to take too much sub, especially since I"m on the klonopin for now with it, but I didn't like that antsy feeling so I figured taking 4mg of sub was much better than the alternative! I also have liver issues...high enzymes. Does anyone know will the sub hurt my liver more or is it relatively safe for the liver if I don't abuse it? I feel no need to abuse the sub which is such a nice feeling! I feel like it's really helping me to stay sober and I've never gone this long without relapsing so it's working for me! Thanks for all the answers to the questions! Have a great day everyone!
Maya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hi maya. congrats on your sober days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so I don't even know really where to start! I have a lot of questions and don't really know what to expect!:) Im 30 years old a mom of 3 beautiful babies... I had ovarian cancer in 2008 so that's when I took my first pain pill and I've got so bad on them I could take up to 7 roxy 15mg a day! I was going to a pain dr because now I have messed up disc in my neck and back but I'm beyond DONE with taking Pills and the ever day struggle of looking for pills and spending every dime I get to get them so I heard about suboxone online reading hundreds of reviews about it before I found a suboxone dr! Monday was my first dr appt and first dose:)) I can honesty say I feel 100% better and I'm so excited to get off pain meds I'm on cloud 9! I had crazy dreams last night and didn't sleep good and scratched ALOT during the night:( My dr told me to take 2/8 mg strips a day one around 8am and the other around 2 pm... I'm chewing my lips and inside of my mouth like crazy is this normal? I'm still itching like Roxys make me do and I find it a little hard to pee... Tomorrow will be day 3 can someone give me some advice on how this first week will be and on what I can expect from here on out? I believe Im going to like suboxone I love how "Together" and "normal" it makes me feel and it honestly has worked for all back and neck pain... I've read it does help with pain as well! Thank you in advance for the help and advice Yall!! Have a blessed night!! And to Maya I'm so sorry if I just hijacked your post I just couldn't figure out where to post anywhere else and I'm glad there are places like this for us to come and ask advice proud of you and I wish you the best :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lizzy

Welcome to the forum! It's best to start your own thread and that is done by clicking on "new topic". It can be found right under this post on the bottom left...it says Post reply (which you did) or Post new topic. If you start your own thread/topic then we can post just to you and it's less confusing.

Now to your questions...the itching may still be from the roxy. For me it took a few weeks to get stable and used to suboxone. Your body & brain are getting used to a new medication so there may be some weird things. I am also a chronic pain person and my pain is well controlled on sub. That was my biggest concern about going on suboxone.

Honestly, IMO it may be to much suboxone for your prior drug use. You can speak to your doctor or try taking 8 mg in the morning and 4 mg at 2. The chewing your lips etc is not something i experienced. I did have a "speedy" feeling that i didn't like at all and it was hard to stay asleep for a couple of weeks. That was corrected by dropping my dose.

IMHO you have made the best choice for you and your family. Just hang in there. Hope to see a "new topic" from you :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Tiki I'm going now to do a "new topic " I'm sorry. I hope to see you in my own:) I thought it may be too much suboxone also so today I did exactly that 8 this morning and 4mg a hour ago but I've been sick at my stomach pretty back since I took my afternoon dose :( is that normal for that to happen since I took less then I have been doing since Monday ? I go to a sub dr and she started me on the 2 a day I thought it sounded a little high after reading some of what people have posted on here ! Thanks so much I will figure out how to do my own "new topic" lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Maya!!

Welcome! Everyone is so wonderful and helpful here...I think you will enjoy it :)

We have similar stories, actually (I was pretty addicted to oxy for about 2-ish years, only drug I've ever done!). I've been on Suboxone for about 9 months now and I can say that it definitely helped me get my life back and stay sober...it's a wonderful drug if used properly and if one is truly committed to recovery.

If 2mg works for you and keeps your cravings/withdrawal symptoms at bay....I say GO FOR IT! Honestly, I don't think ANYONE needs more than 4-6 mgs to get the full effects/benefit of the medication. A lot of us, as addicts, get it into our head that maybe more will make us feel EVEN BETTER!? But that's not how this medication works....which is one of the things that's so great about it. The ceiling is, I believe, around 4mgs, as stated by Dr. Junig. I whole heartedly agree with this. I'm on 4mg right now, and I honestly do not feel ANY different then when I was at 8mg. LESS IS MORE, GIRL!! Definitely don't go higher unless you are feeling withdrawal symptoms, are uncomfortable, drug cravings, etc.

Hope this helps!!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll