It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm so glad I found this forum. I have a consultation next week with a sub doctor. Long story short, the last 3 years of my life (I'm 32) have been filled with one ailment or problem after another. 8 surgeries, procedures, etc.etc. You get the drift--lots of pain meds on a constant basis. When I found I wasn't in enough pain to justify taking the pills, I couldn't stop. Here is my dilemma. I have a good job and good benefits. I have health and prescription coverage. I am extremely concerned about my privacy. The doctor doesn't accept insurance so that will be out of pocket,(around 500 initially and 100 per month for him, not including the pills. I'm really worried about being able to afford the medicine out of pocket. I don't even know if my insurance co.(its actually a subcontractor for my insurance carrier) will cover the meds, but if they did--here are my questions-1-Can the prescription insurance co/ins co call my primary doctor and tell him that I've started this medication? (I don't want 3 years from now when I'm over this (hopefully) and I blow my knee out(hope not!), he not give me necessary meds for pain relief. Or for that matter, will the insurance deny and further opiate treatment from being on suboxone. Basically are you marked for life? I'm ready to do this, and I will do whatever it takes, so I'm starting next week come hell or high water. I thank you all in advance for responses, and It's been very comforting reading your posts and knowing most importantly that IM NOT ALONE IN THIS..look forward to hearing from you.

Post subject: good question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:26 pm 
BigBear - Congratulations on making the decision that will in all likelihood be one of the best you've made in a while! I sure wish I knew the answer to your questions. I have wondered the same thing. But to tell you the truth - by the time I found Suboxone, I really didn't care about any of that anymore. I had already lost so much (you can search and read my other posts on this site if you're interested in my 'story') that all I cared about future-wise was getting off the pain pills! I'm sure you know what I mean.
At first I thought I would not file the Rx with insurance because of the same concerns you have, but after finding out what these wonderpills cost ($7+ per pill) I went ahead and had the pharmacy put it through.
My insurance is not the best, but it did cover some of the cost. I didn't have any coverage for the the doctor's visit (they don't take insurance anyway)
As far as not being able to obtain Rx for future medical needs - I cannot think that would be a problem. Now I figure if I went in to the pharmacy right now with a script for Oxy or Hydro or something, seeing that I just filled 90 Suboxone might raise an eyebrow. But to my knowledge, it takes quite a bit to get your name flagged at the pharmacy.
I just am choosing to believe that if I'm doing nothing wrong and being honest with any physician I seek treatment from, I'll be okay.
I know that doesn't answer your question, but hopefully someone else will have a better answer for us.
In the meantime - best to you. I think you're gonna be amazed at how good 'normal' feels when you get started on your Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome BigBear: while on subox if you have a med problem that needs pain meds. I see no problem. My wife is on subox and she had back surgery. she was given oxys, a small amount. Then after she was out she started back on the subox. Well she waited 2 day after her pills were gone. U do know not to take subox while other opiets are in your system?? You go though bad withdraws. There's a whole bunch of info here on that subject. Now as far as your privacy, I am not sure. But I would think that as long as the script is legit and they will call the doc you should not have any problems. I'm not sure how all that private stuff goes. I know many pharmacys are conneted though the system. If you use the insurence card then they will know what doc ur seeing and what meds your taking. Your insurence co. will know but I;m sure there are privacy laws when it comes to insurence co. giving info to employer. Unless it's like a phycial or something related to work. I must say, this is what scares me with the Obama healthcare plan. More Gov. in our lives, I fear that if Obamacare passes the privacy issue will become, well there might not be any privacy issues. JMO anyway I;m sorry I was not much help. Good luck. Somebody here will have an ansewer for you, There are good people here who know alot more than myself.'''

Thanks,

Darren

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Welcome to the club
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rest assured that you are only having the normal concerns that everyone else has. I am 1 year in and doing better than ever. I started at 32 mg a day and I am now down to 4 mg a day.
1. If you apply for life insurance or get new insurance you could be labled with an addiction because if you do not disclose this they will not pay when that time comes. If you get turned down I believe you are marked in that industry.
2. If you’re insurance requires pre authurasation for the meds your Sub doc will call and tell them what your problem is your personal doc will not know or be involved unless you want them to be. However I would be honest with your spouse and docs. You can’t change the fact that people who take this take it generally for one reason and it sounds like you might need it. Remember there are other options. I would listen to Dr Tapes. They helped me understand .
I would recommend that you be real with yourself. The truth is if you don’t stop your world around you might. Nothing good can come from the way you are taking your meds. It’s just a question about how to treat it and that’s up to you.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your replies! I have decided to pay out of pocket for the treatment, no matter how long it takes. Im approaching this with the thought that I have the rest of my life ahead of me, and I have a ray of hope now..I didnt before I found out about the suboxone. It's worth whatever cost it may be. I guess I was scared that because of my dependence now--I 'd be marked for life..But I've come to the conclusion that I'll only be marked if I fail!! Thanks again to all of you..look forward to many more chats..

BigBear

Post subject: privacy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I dont know where u live but the numbers u gave are way HIGH...Theres all kinds of private detox doc outthere for now starting jan 1 in florida everything can be reported,shop around if u can i did and saved about 200 ,,doc visit should be 125 including bloodwrk,15 / 8mg pills should be 100,,,i dont know what your habit is or was,,try to get off the subx as soon as u can,2 weeks 2 months not 2 yrs,,,the subx def works,,dont get addicted too something else maybe weed,,,8 days for me no opiates its a fuckin miracle,thank god not Obama,,,
Major,FT.Lauderdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Scary... I never even thought NOT to use my insurance. This is a good thing and that's how I have to look at it. If other dr.'s, insurance co., government, ect... look as if it's a bad thing i would be shocked. good luck and I say use your insurance and treat your self. You will have extra money and wonder how you afforded you habit. I did. good luck