It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:17 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just found this site and boy do I wish I had found it sooner! I'm a recovering heroin addict with almost 18 years clean, but in 2005 I was in a head on collision and was put on subutex for pain maintenance. Well, as everyone knows now, you can only get subutex if you are pregnant, and I'm allergic/have bad reaction to suboxone so I decided to start weaning off before the DEA said no more to subutex as I had no alternative. It has been 4 1/2 weeks since I have taken subutex and though I still have days where I feel awful, I feel free! I went to an urgent care facility my first week of withdrawal to get help with the withdrawal symptoms (no narcotics, just clonodine and something to stop the restless legs) and the doctor came in with her preconceived notion that I was just a drug seeking addict and the first words out of her mouth were 'we don't write scripts for drug addicts'. Now, I am very proud of my 18 years clean and that made me feel like scum. I mean, come on--I'm already going through Hell, and to see the contempt and disdain she had for me when I was asking for help really hurt. Suboxone is the lesser of two evils in my opinion, and the fact that any medical professional would refuse treatment is inexcusable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 am 

Hey Smmtty (I don't know if I got that right) welcome.

If u read around the Stopping Suboxone section, you'll see that some still don't feel 100% bk to normal at 4 weeks. When I went to rehab off regular opiates, I still didn't feel 100% for months so it's not just buprenorphine, it sometimes takes awhile to get leveled bk out.

I don't think of buprenorphine as the lesser of two evils though. I know there's a stigma out there about this medicine and that drives me batty sometimes. My area is awful for judgement...... small town in the south, u can imagine. Buprenorphine changed my life and I'll always be so grateful for that.

I was talking to a lady at my clinic the other day while we were waiting to see the doctor. She told me that she takes plain bupe. She went to fill her script previously and the pharmacist started asking her if she was pregnant. When she told the pharmacist she wasn't pregnant, they refused to fill her medicine. She was pretty upset about it.

Glad u joined us, there are members here that's off buprenorphine now, we have one member that's been off successfully for years.