It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

IM BRIAN AND I AM HAVE BEEN ADDICTED TO PAIN KILLERS SINCE I WAS ABOUT 21. I AM 28 NOW WITH 2 CHILDREN AND A WHAT MIGHT AS WELL BE A STEP CHILD. THEY ARE 7,4,2. I HAVE BEEN IN TREATMENT SINCE FEBRUARY 2009. I STARTED OUT TAKING METHADONE. I GOT UP AS HIGH AS 70mg A DAY. THIS PAST MONDAY I SWITCHED MY TREATMENT PLAN TO SUBOXONE. IT HAS BEEN REALLY HARD SO FAR, BUT IT WOULDNT HAVE BEEN IF THE CLINIC WOULD HAVE DONE IT RIGHT. THEY ONLY TOOK ME OFF OF METHADONE FOR ONE FULL DAY BEFORE SWITCHING ME.(NOT EVEN ENOUGH TIME TO START WITHDRAWAL). SO ON MONDAY THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE 16mg A DAY BOTH PILLS AT THE SAME TIME IN THE MORNING. I GOT SOOOO SICK! THERE WAS STILL METHADONE IN MY SYSTEM SO IT PUT INTO A FULL BLONE WITHDRAWAL TIMES 1000. I WAS SCARED! I ALMOST WENT TO THE HOSPITAL. NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY WANTED ME TO KEEP COMING IN AND DOSING. I WAS VERY SICK UNTIL WENDSDAY. THURSDAY I FELT GOOD ENOUGH TO GO BACK TO WORK. I CANT TELL WHAT THE SUBOXONE IS DOING YET. I DO KNOW THAT I STILL DONT FEEL RIGHT. HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN THROUGH THIS? WILL IT GET BETTER? WILL IT MAKE ME FEEL BETTER? IVE READ GREAT THINGS ABOUT IT BUT SO FAR MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN BAD. DID THEY START ME ON TOO HIGH OF A DOSE? I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE ABOUT THIS. THANKS FOR THIS AWSOME FORUM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Are you doing an inpatient or outpatient detox? Why do you have to go back to get another dose?

I have detoxed 3 times this year off of Oxycontin, the 1st time I was taking 60mg 2x a day. My doctors only made me wait around 15-18 hours from my last dose. Sure I was feeling like hell after 18 hours but I still was not in "full blown withdrawals". Within 20 minutes after taking the first dose of Suboxone all three times I felt normal.

It takes about 5-6 days for me to completely get the Oxycontin out of my system while on Suboxone. I am sure if you miss a dose of your Suboxone during that first 5-6 days of detox you will go into withdrawals. I recall that 4mg of Suboxone kept me out of withdrawal for about 8-9 hours and 8mg kept me out for about 15 hours.

Good luck with your detox. It will be over soon. Hang in there.

Once from his disease,
Once from his addiction,
Once from his physician’s ignorance.

Karen Miotto, M.D. - Integrated Substance Abuse Program, UCLA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT...... IVE BEEN GOING TO I GUESS WHAT THEY CALL A METHADONE CLINIC SINCE FEB. 2009. THATS WHEN I STARTED TAKING THE METHADONE. IT IS AN OUTPATIENT PROGRAM AND I HAVE TO GO THERE IN THE MORNING TO DOSE(ATLEAST FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS THEN I GET A SCRIPT AS LONG AS MY UA IS CLEAN). I FEEL FINE TODAY ACTUALLY. I DO FEEL LIKE THE SUBOXONE SPEEDS UP MY HEART RATE THOUGH. ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When a dose of Suboxone that I took wears off I start to yawn and feel breakthrough pain. Yes, about 40-50 minutes after another dose I seem to get more awake and I am thinking that my heart rate goes up a bit. Once you get used to the medicine you probably wont notice that much anymore.

Hang in there, one day at a time.

Once from his disease,
Once from his addiction,
Once from his physician’s ignorance.

Karen Miotto, M.D. - Integrated Substance Abuse Program, UCLA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Either the clinic you're going to is run by monkeys or you may have (and I'm not accusing you of anything I obviously don't know the specifics of the situation) had some communication problems with the doctor treating you. I simply can't imagine any doctor would intentionally put you through that and if they seriously didn't know what would I'd be moving to a different clinic ASAP if at all possible. Putting an opiate addict into withdrawal intentionally is a recipe for disaster I'm just glad to hear you didn't do anything crazy to try and end the withdrawals. Hope you start feeling better and I do think if you're able to hang with it a for a little while longer you'll start feeling normal again but I'm certainly not in a position to give you definitive medical advice. You may try and get some answers from the doctor treating you though. Hope things work out and please keep in contact with us :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

THANKS FOR YOU COMMENTS, I ACTUALLY FELT REALLY GOOD TODAY. MY PSYCOLOGIST TOLD HIM SHE THOUGHT THAT I SHOULD WAIT ATLEAST 2 DAYS. THE DR. IS ONLY IN THE OFFICE 2 DAYS A WEEK. I DONT KNOW IF THEY HAVE A WHOLE LOT OF SUBOXONE EDUCATION THERE. I DONT THINK THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE EVEN ON SUBOXONE THERE. EVERYBODY I HAVE EVER SEEN THERE IS ON METHADONE. WHEN I GET THERE TUESDAY I WILL HAVE A FEW THINGS TO TALK ABOUT WITH THE DR. AND THE PSYCOLOGIST. THANK YOU EVERYONE AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME, STORIES, AND PATIENCE IT REALLY DOES MEAN A LOT.