It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just started on Suboxone 3 weeks ago, while at the hospital.
They titrated me from 4mg to 16mg, and i've been stable on 16 now for the last 2 weeks.

I'm 26 years old, and started using opiates when i was 18. It's a damn long story, covered in lies, deceit and one hell big shiny "façade".
I am living with my fiancé and our 7 months old daughter.

I've been 3 times in recovery. Spent two years in prison, and many overdoses.
My main reason for trying Suboxone is because of my daughter. I've tried so many times to quit before, and when i was not taking opiates i was just laying on the couch shaking in withdrawals.
She deserves to have a father who is present, and can be there for her. One who supports the family, and doesn't make his family life like a roller-coaster. And after using Subutex for 2 years (illegally) i know it'll work.

I also have a 5 year old addiction to Lyrica (pregabalin) which i'm dealing with aswell.
Everything is starting to come in place now. Titration schedule for Lyrica is fixed. Communication with my doctor is good. And i'm stable on Suboxone (film).

I'm so looking forward to live a normal life, without all the hassle for opiates everyday.

My only problem now is that i got very low testosterone. I asked the doctor to test it, because i've had a suspicion that it was low. She said that it was supposed to be between 10-27 (nmol/L i think?)
And my value was 2,9.
So i'm hoping we can sort this problem out as well.

Well. There's a little of my story. If you have any questions, fire away! :)
Nice to know we have a forum where we can discuss

"I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is." -Alan Watts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi adde,

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm glad to hear you got on Suboxone and that things are settling down for you. The life of an addict in active addiction is arduous, no doubt about it. Not just for us, but our families as well.

Suboxone has worked very well for many, many of us and I hope it works great for you, too!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Morning adde,
I have been on suboxone , 16 mg for over 5 years, and was tested for testosterone level. My result was also very low after long term opiate use. My doc put me on Androgel testosterone therapy and I felt much better pretty quick. Glad your life is improving with sub treatment, and welcome.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome Adde.

Congratulations on you decision to turn your life around, and welcome to this board. I myself am new here, and you can read most of my story in a thread in the introduction section. You have already won an important battle by your admission that you need help and cannot do it alone. You have made an important decision for you and your daughter. There are some good folks here. We are here to support you. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind. We are here to lean on each other through this process.

I'm actually 33% Norwegian myself. My mother is half, and my grandfather was full. His parents both immigrated to The States near the turn of the century. My mother and sister took a trip to Norway a couple years ago to visit some relatives that they had come in contact with. From the pictures they took, Norway looks like a beautiful country and a place I myself would like to visit someday.

It sounds like you have a good doctor. It makes more sense to me that you would titrate up on your dose in the beginning rather than be put on a high dose as I was. My body has had a hard time in adjusting to the strength of the drug (constipation and inability to sleep well being my worst side effects). But I came down to 4 mgs three days ago, then up to six yesterday, then eight today (which is half of the dose prescribed to me, 16 mgs). Here in the US (as you might have read), we can only get our prescriptions from doctors who are licensed to prescribe suboxone, so as with my experience, the doctors don't spend enough time with us in the beginning adjust our does correctly. Speaking from my experience, I have been left to altering the dose myself.

My drug of choice has been hydrocodone over the past ten year (on and off). Here in the US there is a kind of war on prescription drugs going on, making it nearly impossible (at least for me) to get enough pills to abuse them at the level we once did. Funny...about fifteen years ago our government declared a "War on Pain" causing our doctors to over-prescribe opiate painkillers. Now with so many people having problems with addiction, our government has declared a "War on Prescription Painkillers." I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but our government has definitely had its hand in both creating the problem and now attempting to put a stop to the epidemic it has created.

I personally have always been attracted to opiates as a result of my chronic depression which started 18 years ago. As it is with many addicts, our addiction is tied to mental pain that can only be relieved (at least at the surface) by opiate drugs. Suboxone itself, as you know, is an opiate, and I was intrigued by its antidepressant qualities. This is day seven for me, and with my body starting to adjust to the drug, I am noticing some promising positive effects on my depression.

Anyways, as I said, you can read more about me in this forum.
Welcome aboard!
John