It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am a 53 yr old Mom, wife, runner, nanny who became addicted to Vicodin after having a TAH/BSO(total hysterectomy) in 2003. At that time, I needed pain management but as we all know, the addict in me kept my mind convinced that the pain was still there..long story, short..have been addicted to pain pills ever since. I finally found a Suboxone Dr in 2005 and have been on it since February of 2005. I started at 32 mg a day and have weaned down to 2mg a day. I just bought the Dr's recording about stopping suboxone and feel I am ready BUT I fear the pain of W/D's(just like any addict does) I am not feeling tempted to relapse but fear the fatigue that comes along with coming off opiates. I am a marathoner, Mother, and Nanny. Today is the first day of my decision to come off Suboxone. I am not sure I will wean down further to 1mg a day or skip days(any advice is welcomed and I will search this forum for simalar posts)I have been reading all your stories and am relieved that I can find encouragement here with others who have experienced addiction, as I have. I know I am not alone and that no matter what I do,in regards to recovery, you will all understand. Thanks for allowing me to post! and thanks for reading this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ginger and WELCOME! (I almost mistook you for our other ginger! I'm glad I double-checked.)

We're glad you found us and introduced yourself. It sounds like Suboxone has been good to you for about 5 years now. Always good to hear! You'll find many taper stories here about going off suboxone. I personally haven't tried it yet, but from what I've read it's best to continue tapering down past the 2mg you're at now before you jump off. The slower and longer your taper is the less problems you'll likely have - from what I've ascertained.

Again, WELCOME - we're glad to have you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you sooo much..I can't believe I haven't found this forum before..maybe I wasn't ready to LOOK beyond my own mind! I will be ready a lot today and for the upcoming week and beyond.....
thanks for making me feel welcomed! I will taper lower, but I have a hard time cutting the pieces of the 8mg sub tab down past 1-2 mgs..I am sure there are many posts regarding this, but if you can point me in the right direction, I would appreiciate it!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Ginger44,

Welcome to the forum. This might get confusing, as my name is also Ginger61. I am from Canada so I think I will look for a Canadian flag or something to put beside my name to make it easier for everyone.

It's too bad you didn't find this forum sooner, the people here are so awesome and are a great support.

Take some time to read the tapering threads, 2 mg is a pretty high dose to jump from. You will do a lot better if you taper down to a quarter of a mg. Is there any reason that you want to stop taking sub? Can you get 2mg pills from your doctor?

So, just look down the list to the different topics and you will find several threads in the Stopping Sub file. A lot of people have taken the time to write out their whole taper, right down to dust crums, to make it easier for the rest of us when we get there.

I have only been on sub for a few months and am not planning to taper for a long time.

Again, welcome and hope to hear from you again soon,
Ginger61

Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome Ginger44 - Glad you have found the forum. Lots of support here for sure. I too have the same question as ginger61. Is there a specific reason why you want to stop Suboxone? I personally can't give any advise on stopping Suboxone, as I have only been on Suboxone since end December of 09 and don't plan on stopping any time soon. Again, welcome and I wanted to wish you luck! SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
I live in the Southern U.S. Came from the Midwest.(Wisconsin, to be exact) Ginger61..so sorry I chosen this name, not meant to confuse anyone. It's not even my real name but my puppy's name.(Nothing personal.. I LOVE my dog!LOL)
As far as the question you have asked..is there any specific reason I want to get off Sub..there are a few. One being that I feel I am ready to face life without any opiates(even tho I know Sub is a "good" one and would recommend it to anyone trying to get straight) I also feel I am at no risk for relapse and quite frankly, I haven't felt great while taking it. I DO KNOW it saved my life from spiraling downward!
It's weird because I really don't know what is is that I feel I have been missing from life that I had to "fill up" with one substance or another. Something I have been doing since age 15..one way or another. More recently, pain meds. I feel that life is good now and not afraid of cross addiction. Well..I guess I AM crossing over in that I am a marathoner now..and running is my current addiction.(not too bad eh?)
Another thing..my husband(Ret Army) doesn't know I am still on it. He thinks I got off the first year I was on(2005) and he would NEVER understand why I had to maintain myself all this time. Is anyone else in this predicament? My daughter, Mom , and Sis know tho..I could never do this without their support too.(Stay clean) I have worked myself and paid for , myself, for all these years of treatment,(as the Insurance Co (Tricare Army)doesn't cover addiction treatment unless it's methadone in a facility.
So..I guess the answeris..because I am ready to move forward in life. Opiate free. Wish me luck. Thanks for the great warmth and awesome advice from everyone. I have alot of reading to do!