It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New here... again?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As stated above I am New to here again because I was on here about a couple years ago but lost my login, never to be found again.

Anyways I have come back here because both my husband and I are on suboxone and have recently been "still messing around." For myself I have been prescribed 16mg a day and my husband 24mg I have been taking 24mg a day and sharing and buying off the street because we obviously run out I hate feeling like I need to take three to get through my day. I have recently bee diagnosed with Lyme disease which has been the most painful thing I have ever experienced and I recall saying the day or two before being diagnosed " if I have to feel like this anymore I would rather kill myself then deal with this pain"... pretty obvious how I got hooked on pain meds before suboxone Dr got a hold of me. I have been taking extra suboxone to not only to feel euphoric and high but also to keep away pain (headaches body aches). On top of me not behaving but kinda behaving as far as staying away from pills, my husband has been main lining his subs. I don't do this nor agree with it but I love him he's my husband and my family foundation in me says stick by his side. He hates it and has said if he could stop he would but we didn't know who to turn to so just today as his wife I spoke with his Dr myself who used to be his pediatrician as a child and I told he wasn't taking them properly and that he didn't want to tell a Dr and they kick him off because yes he does inject it but he has stayed clean for the entire time on subs of anything except subs. she assured me he wouldn't be kicked off but I am wondering if there is a counseling specifically geared towards needle users and who can help because it's just been bad. he has had infections and everything. please any advice helps.... SOS

Post subject: Re: New here... again?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello SOS,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm really not sure what to say to you, but your husband is definitely hooked on the needle. I used to be, I would shoot anything if I thought I could catch a buzz from it. It was a very hard habit to break. He definitely needs to stop before he does damage that can't be fixed. Do you all get pills or film strips? I really don't think it matters much. I think you can shoot both. I have never shot up Suboxone before.
You, as far as pain relief, you can take opiates with Suboxone if your pain becomes too much to handle from the Lyme Disease. That is from a tick bite, isn't it?
I wanted you to know there will be someone along soon that can give better advice than me on this subject. You have come to a very good place to get answers to your questions. There are very good and knowledgeable people on here that will be more than willing to help you sort this situation out.
Hang in there
Happy

Edit)
I myself after thinking about it, he needs to be thinking about his health and what shooting Subs or any drug can do to your body. How long has he been mainlining? Has he had his liver checked lately? I know my liver has some damage now from shooting up and doing drugs in general. I was lucky, I stopped before it ruined mine completely. If he hasn't, he needs to have his checked soon. It might scare him into stopping. That is pretty much how I stopped shooting up because I got scared of what it was doing to my body and my health. I had a few times of "cotton fever" and one time I missed really bad and had to go to the hospital and they cut a chunk out of my hand which the skin had pretty much died. I told them it was a spider bite, but I had just missed with a dull needle and my hand swelled up twiced its normal size. That scared me! I am 53 years old and the older you get, the more important your health becomes. How old is he?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update: my husband told his Dr the truth she put him on prozac uggghhhh it got worse. He became overly paranoid claustrophobic jittery and much more. He won't answer our home door or the phone he freaks out in the car he has to hang out the window like a dog to feel less "tight" he says the Dr after a month and a half switched him to wellbutrin which made him worse. It has been a roller coaster these last few weeks. he is off his Prozac and wellbutrin now but has been taking more sub then prescribed also but that was prior to any meds given. He doesn't sleep and has not really spoken too much to me about anything period cause he's all emotionally messed up. As far as I know there have been no needle use cause he doesn't leave the house unless he has to. Dr says the effects have to wear off but this is fuckin ridiculous.he needs to feel better so my household can function but at the same time I still feel for him being a person who suffers from anxiety and depression myself I know how scared he is.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SOS, If a person is taking Suboxone by i.v. injection they need to stop doing it. Many municipalities have some type of detox facility for drug addicts. Maybe they don't "advertise" themselves as offering Suboxone detox but detox is detox. If they say they won't accept him because he's not a heroin addict, then tell them what they want to hear. The detox is the same.

Injecting Suboxone pills even with a crude filter puts all kinds of crap in your veins, which is very damaging.

Maybe the story you tell people is too complicated. Tell them that a person is injecting drugs and can't stop and wants to get into detox. That's all they need to know. The detox is exactly the same.

The thing I can't understand is why that woman doctor apparently continues to prescribe Suboxone for him even though she's been told he's injecting it i.v. That should make him ineligible to fill his Suboxone scrips. You said you told her he's not taking them as prescribed and she's OK with that when it means what you call "mainlining"?

WD

SOS wrote:
... and I told he wasn't taking them properly and that he didn't want to tell a Dr and they kick him off because yes he does inject it but he has stayed clean for the entire time on subs of anything except subs. she assured me he wouldn't be kicked off but I am wondering if there is a counseling specifically geared towards needle users and who can help because it's just been bad. he has had infections and everything. please any advice helps.... SOS

Last edited by wishdoctor on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with WD. Honestly, meds like Prozac (fluoxetine) and Wellbutrin are just not strong enough to make a person crazy. The effects of those meds are very subtle-- and when someone thinks the med made them crazy, it is more likely that the craziness was there and looking for something to attribute it to! They just don't have that much of an effect on people!

As a side point-- the 'suicidal ideation' studies showed an extra 2% of people-- 2 out of 100-- 'thought' about suicide. There were no suicides or attempted suicides-- and the effect was ONLY present in people under 22 years old. There was NO increase in thoughts about suicide in people over 22 years old... and there were NO actual suicides in anyone. But the press releases led to people going nuts over those meds-- when in reality, they have very little impact on actual behavior.

But... your partner, by your description, is seriously disturbed-- and at some point a person needs to just get off everything, and see what's going on. Buprenorphine doesn't significant pain relief above a dose of 8 mg or so-- which makes me believe that there are psychological reasons for whatever pain relief he thinks he is getting. The ideal situation would be an inpatient, long term detox program... but I don't know if such places exist! So an alternative would be an abstinence- based residential treatment program, where he can see where things are when he is off everything. It sounds as if he is in the midst of a manic or mixed episode... but there is no way to figure that out if he is injecting psychotropic substances.

Keep in touch, and let us know how things are going...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They think that my husband has bipolar disorder or manic depressive because that's the only reason they feel he is having the side effects. He hasn't been injecting in quite some time that I know of. Not sure exactly date but he hasn't left the house and he won't do it in the house. He's too paranoid to leave he wants to go to rehab just to stop the side effects of the prozac.