It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I flushed my Lortab down the toliet Thursday, approx. 200 of them, because I decided it was time to stop this madness. I am now just taking the Percocet script which is 6 10/325's a day. Needless to say, I am going through the withdrawl from Lortab. All the things I've read here.... no sleep, anxious, restless leg, agitation etc. I was taking about 10 - 18 a day. I have an appointment in 2 weeks with a doc to start Suboxone for the percocet. His nurse said he titrates you down some before he starts the Sub. I have read that you have to be off the percocet for a certain amount of time to start this theraphy. Is this true? If so, how long? With what I am going through now, I can't/don't want any worse withdrawl. All of my meds were prescribed by a PA who said she was qualified for pain management. I don't have to buy them off the street, but now the MD in the office has found out how much I was getting and came "unglued". He wants me back next week to see tham to discuss my over use. I was already contemplating getting off them so flushed the Lortabs so I don't see the point of going to see them again just to have the finger pointed at me because they have realized how many they were giving me. (240 a month plus 180 percocet) I have enough Percocet to last until my appt. with the doc to detox. I would appreciate any help/advice those of u that have been through this can give me to ease these symptoms I am having now. I got Melatonin & Benadryl like I read some here have done to help w/ sleep & did manage to get 6 hours. Again, taking 6 percocet a day, how long will I have to go off them to start Sub. treatment? My anxiety is sky high and I am terrified. I am a 50 yr. old female, have a small hobby farm of rescued animals I love. Never thought I'd have this happen to me. Y'all have already taught me a lot. Thank u for your honesty & willingness to share.

Post subject: Hi FarmGirl
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I know you will like it here.

My name is Queenie. I am the grandmother of the forum. I am a 68 yr. old amputee, addicted to pain medications. I am sure others will come along and write to you. There are many nice people here that really care & really help. Our moderator, Hatmaker, will answer a lot of your questions much better than I can. I just wanted to welcome you and see that someone here does reply.

I just want to say that Suboxone has saved my life. You do have to be in some W/D to start the Subs. I guess you don't feel well because the Lortabs were stronger than the Percocet. I know 2 weeks is a long time but hang in there. It's worth it. I wish you could see a Sub dr. sooner because you are in W/D already.

Let me know how things are going. I hope you stay & get to know everyone. You won't regret it. Let me sign off & let someone else in that can help you more.

Best of luck to you, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Farmgirl and welcome to the forum. First, congratulations on making the decisions to stop the crazy cycle of addiction. You do not have to be in withdrawal for weeks to start suboxone. Usually just a day or so. It's not really the amount of time, but rather how MUCH withdrawals you are in. If I were you, I would call the doctor you have the suboxone appointment with and ask them to explain what to expect. Also, if you Google the COWS scale/worksheet, it explains how to gauge how bad your withdrawals are and when you would be ready to start the suboxone.

As for the appointment with your pain management doctor, I can't really tell you what to do. I know it would be difficult to go, but do you want to burn that bridge? You could go in and tell that you plan on starting suboxone and that you know it's gotten out of control. But only you can decide how to deal with that.

If I'm misunderstanding anything, please clarify. Or if you have more questions, just as away. Oh and I'm only one of several moderators here and there are plenty of other people who know just as much as I do if not way more than I do on many other subjects. I'm just another member here - just like you and everyone else. Hang in there. When you start suboxone you'll feel SOOO much better.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good job on flushing those Lorcet!! I KNOW how hard that was to do. That took real strength, I am proud of you.

Now, I understand that you would experience some wd while the Lorcet works it way out of your system, but the Oxy's(Percocet) should be helping to 'cover up' some of those wd. Oxy(Percocet) is actually stronger than Lorcet. So I'm going to say to just be patient with the Lorcet wd, it'll go away soon enough.

As far as getting off the Percocet before you begin suboxone, this is true. Suboxone will 'push' the Percocet out of the way as it tries to bind to the proper receptors in your brain.....if this happens, it's called Precipitated Withdrawal....this is what your doctor is going to try to avoid at all costs.

I know I waited 24 hours after my last dose of Lorcet before I started on Suboxone. Like Hat said though, it's not so much how long, it has a lot more to do with what stage of wd you're in. By the way, within 45 minutes of taking my first Suboxone I was like :shock: ....I think I said, "Holy Crap this stuff really works!!".....actually, I think I said a cuss word in place of the Holy Crap!

Stop being anxious....it's so not necessary. You have no need to be terrified either. I know I was scared out of my mind before I started Suboxone too and it was all so unnecessary.

I hope you keep in touch with us.

Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all so much for answering my post! You made me feel so much better. I had to work last night which helped take my mind off how I feel for awhile. Work again tonight. Then off for 2 weeks. The night sweats & restless leg are what has me up, but it is manageable so far. I took 4 melatonin and 2 benadryl tablets so got 4 hours sleep.

I flushed the Lortab also because I knew having the Percocet to take for 2 weeks would help get me through at least that part and am hoping it will help to be on less when I start the Suboxone. My hubby says I am stubborn enough to handle this! I hope he's right!

As far as appt. with pain management doc, I am re-thinking and may just go. They are also my primairy care doc so will need them for my health, if I get sick etc. so maybe not such a good idea to burn that bridge. I just feel sorry for myself at times cause I know what's happened, hate myself for getting here and feel like sh** physically & emotionally.

Again, thank u for answering my post. I don't feel so alone now knowing y'all are out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please try to stop kicking yourself in the ass for being an addict and definitely don't hate yourself. You'll do so much better in recovery/remission if you can let go of the shame and work on your self esteem. Many of us - myself in included - view addiction as a disease (as does Dr. Junig). Once we take that first opiate, it's as though a switch was flipped in our brain.

On the main index page under the section/category "Why the Anger", there's a topic called "What is Addiction". I would encourage you to read it. It talks about the brain and how addiction affects it. That might make you feel a bit better. Addiction even affects our judgment. I believe shame represents us living in the past, which accomplishes nothing but to prevent us from moving forward. So try to grasp onto today and move forward.

You can do this. You've started out great by getting rid of those pills. You sound very determined to me and that will serve you well. Good luck and I know it's hard waiting for that first appointment, so if you need to keep posting between now and then, post as much as you need to. That's what we're here for.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Farmgirl,

My stubborn streak has served me well during difficult times. Use whatever tools you have at your disposal to get through this, if your stubborness helps, then use the hell out of it!! :D

Hang in there!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Hatmaker & Romeo! I've only had 5 1/2 percocet today instead of 6, and no Lortab. I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight, but I just got home from work, took 5 melatonin & 2 Benadryl. We'll see what happens. I've decided to keep my appointment Tuesday afternoon with the PA that gave me all the pills and see if she is willing to help me keep titrating instead of jumping into Suboxone. I talked to a counselor that said it is general practice that even if they decide to stop helping you that they give you a month's supply to give you time to find help. Hope this is true as I would love to try to titrate longer before giving into the Suboxone. Worth a shot right???!!! My stubborness has gotten me this far in only 3 days! I am taking 1/3 of what would be my "normal"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi farm girl, addiction can happen to anyone as all of us here can attest to. In fact there is another thread on people's occupations and you will see that we come from all walks of life (even farming).
Suboxone maintenance is roughly equal to 60 mg of oxycodone (percocet) a day, so I wouldn't torture yourself getting much lower than that before your induction. As others have said, you will only have to be in moderate withdrawal, and it will probably only about half a day you will really have to suffer. You can do it because you will know the end is in sight. It will really be worth it, I promise!
Did you say when your Sub appointment is? You're probably right not to burn your bridge with your former doctor. All you can do is tell the truth and let them know you are getting into treatment. Addiction is a disease, and as upset as they may be they don't have the right to go off on you. If it really goes badly just end the visit as qickly as you can while maintaining your composure.
I wish you all the best and congratulate you for making a good decision!
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Lilly. It really has helped me a lot to know y'all are out there & understand & care. So glad I found this forum! It has really given me some piece of mind. My appt. to see Sub. doc is the 29th. Visit w/ PA that gave me scripts for Lortab & percocet is tomorrow afternoon. I'm titrating my percocet to make sure I have enough until my Sub. appt. in case the PA won't give me anymore to retain 6 a day until my Sub. appt. The nurse I talked to said it is common practice that if they are going to "release" you, they give you a months supply. But, just in case she doesn't, I don't want to go through the withdrawl until I have to. I am still in wd from the Lortab as I haven't taken any since last Thursday. Restless leg & sleeplessness are the main things right now. (along with absolutely NO energy) I'm hoping that in a couple days that lets up as I get closer to the one week mark without it. Again, Thank you all so much for posting to my plea for help. You just may be the ones that get me through this as no one understands, no matter how much they try, like someone who has been through it.