It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New guy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well just like it says. Been using for over 20yrs. Boy is that hard to say. Have been on Subs since Sept. It has changed my life. I hit bottom and have tryed the 12 steps. I still am. I feel I have my life back. The one that I really dont like is people in NA look down on me for being on it. Im in a group that isnt a 12 step but is very helpful. Other then that Im glad I found this group. Just last nite I went to an NA meeting and they had asked me not to share do to the fact that they thought I had used since I toke suboxone. Left a bad taste in my mouth. As if I used my doc. To me its not the same. I cant change the way they feel. Hopeful I can get or find a new group that is ok with this. Cause I believe it helps me more then just not getting high. Thank you for letting me join the group. ( DIRTY NJ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey welcome!!! it seems alot of people have issues with AA and NA rejecting them because of the subs. I have a couple friends in AA that are on dones or subs and they are the only ones that know. I wouldnt tell anyone otherwise because i dont feel like having my sobriety judged by people who dont understand how i feel day to day. I do understand wanting people to know, because you in your heart knows its (subs) not using and you are a different person from when you were using. Only some can understand that when taken correctly subs help and in fact save lives along with necessaary after care. anyways, good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome nj - We're glad you found the forum and I hope you find it as helpful and supportive as I have. Other people have the same problem as you with regard to 12 step programs judging those on opiate replacement therapy. But YOU know that you're not getting high and how much it is helping you. Some people just don't share it with the group. BUT - there are others who have found a group that accepts them fully. If 12 step meetings help you, just keep looking for the right group. There's enough of them out there that you can hopefully find one for you. Good luck and again, welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey dirty nj, welcome

Thanks for letting us know your story and how sub has helped you so much. I think you'll find many, many people here who have the same respect and high regards for suboxone. It has saved so very many of us. It has given so many of us a chance at living life again.

Thanks again for sharing!

Post subject: Congrats on your Honesty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:04 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hey Dirty,
Like the others 'I would like to welcome you to the Forum and hope you get as much out of it as I have! This has become a huge part of my Sobriety... AS far as the People in the Groups NOT letting you share...... Two words come to mind.. SCREW THEM ! Who made them the Judge and Jury over your Sobriety! I have been clean from Opiates since Feb. 2009 and then another Miracle happened I became SOBER June 8, 2009. You can put me in the camp that keeps my Suboxone use to myself! Not because I am ashamed by any means I just don't want to add any unneeded Chaos to my life. I have been on 16 mgs. of Suboxone since Feb. 2009 and feel great. I consider myself " CLEAN & SOBER " and I am Very active in the AA Community in my Area. Well I just wanted to welcome you and tell you that your not alone and that Saving your life by taking Suboxone and still going to meetings is just FINE!!! (At least in my Book... BUT Not many read out of my Book..LOL) Best of Luck in your continued Recovery and please keep us posted.!!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font] I can not believe they asked you not to share. that is a riot. Don't think I would want to be part of their group. I too have many years using. This is my first try interacting here and not sure I am doing it right. Trying to figure it out!
dirty nj wrote:
Well just like it says. Been using for over 20yrs. Boy is that hard to say. Have been on Subs since Sept. It has changed my life. I hit bottom and have tryed the 12 steps. I still am. I feel I have my life back. The one that I really dont like is people in NA look down on me for being on it. Im in a group that isnt a 12 step but is very helpful. Other then that Im glad I found this group. Just last nite I went to an NA meeting and they had asked me not to share do to the fact that they thought I had used since I toke suboxone. Left a bad taste in my mouth. As if I used my doc. To me its not the same. I cant change the way they feel. Hopeful I can get or find a new group that is ok with this. Cause I believe it helps me more then just not getting high. Thank you for letting me join the group. ( DIRTY NJ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi fog and welcome to the forum! I don't know if you've figured things out around here or not yet, but if you're still having trouble, be sure to let us know! Feel free to start your own thread and tell us more about yourself. Again - welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome! The attitudes you may encounter in recovery groups can suck, but they are problems with people, not the programs themselves. I was into AA long before I began to abuse opiates, and never cared much for NA. The important thing is to find groups that you can eventually be comfortable with, they can change your life, but no one comes into them easily. Remember that your medical history and treatment is no one's business, unless you choose to make it so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fogmusher,

Welcome. We would sure love to hear your story if you feel like sharing.

Post subject: Slow to learn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank You.
hatmaker510 wrote:
Hi fog and welcome to the forum! I don't know if you've figured things out around here or not yet, but if you're still having trouble, be sure to let us know! Feel free to start your own thread and tell us more about yourself. Again - welcome!