It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Guy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi my name is Mike, inducted a week ago and on 3, 8mg strips a day. From reading here i thought it was too much and cut back to 2 strips (16mg). Feel good on both doses. My doc said to experiment and find least dose i am comfortable at. Any thoughts on what my next move should be would be appreciated. I was using prescribed opiates. 40mg opana twice day and 10mg instant release opana 2x day or 80mg oxy 3x day for 7 years. Much thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Guy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:23 pm 

Hey Mike and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad u decided to try sub treatment, it's absolutely a great choice. So u started out a week ago on three strips and now ur at 16 mg and wanna get to the lowest dose u can that still takes care of ur cravings. The main thing is to not rush urself, you've only been on suboxone for a week and it sometimes takes a couple weeks to stabilize, so don't rush urself too much. 16 is what a lot of ppl start out with, I did. I went from 16 to 12 with no problems and 12 to 8. I did that over a long period of time though because I wasn't in any rush. Some ppl say that u can drop from 16 to 8 and they couldn't tell any different, others have said they could tell. So I'd just suggest that if u do want to go lower than 16 right now, going to 12 would be a good start and just see how u feel. But honestly ur just now starting this treatment, go slow. Make sure ur cravings are taken care of and if u do want to go lower, just take it slow. If u have any questions just ask and keep posting and let us know how ur doing :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a question for both of you... I started on subs abt a week ago as well. Three 8mg strips a day. I really do feel better mentally than I have in a very long time. I still have the tendency to "think.. I need to take something more, even when I don't." I am guessing out of habit, bc I was used to taking something all day long. The last two days i have woken up with alot of pain in my joints. Rheumatoid is why I was prescribed norco to begin with. What are your thoughts on why i didn't notice my pain in the beginning and Im just now feeling it?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the reply Jen. I will definitely take your advice and slow it down a notch. You spoke a couple of times about stablizing at current dose before cutting the dose down. How does one know when they are stable at there current dose.
On the first day i was inducted my doc gave me 4mg in the office and had me hang out for 40 mins and then gave me other half of 8mg strip. This helped somewhat with withdrawal but honestly as soon as i got in the car i did another 8mg. That did the trick... Felt much better. Waited 6 hrs and did last strip for total of 24mg. Next day did 24mg again. Still physically feeling good enough to get to gym and a meeting. The 3rd day up until current i cut back to 2, 8mg strips, one when i wake around7am and second around 4pm.I am feeling real good on this dose so if i am hearing u right i am just going to hang at current dose for a couple of months. I can't say i don't think about using but definitly not having terrible cravings. I had gotten rid of all the oxy i had around the house on the day i was inducted. I thought. Came home to find a oxy 80 in the cabinet. I haven't been able to flush it yet but also no real desire to use it either. For me that is amazing. So far i love this new chance i have to be clean.
Do u have any experience with 12 step programs. I have been alcohol free in AA for 5 years and free of a nasty cocaine habit for 10 years now. I have not shared that i am using suboxone in AA or with my sponsor i guess for fear of judgement. Just wondering if u have any experience with this type of situation. Regardless of how anyone thinks this route isn't really soberity i am determined to continue with the sub. I feel like i am doing the right thing inside my heart. I am terrified of withdrawal and may be on this forever. But so be it. Love that this forum is here for support and nonjudgmental. Thank you so much for listening.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome Mike!
I'm happy suboxone is working for you! I would take jenn's advice of allowing yourself to first stabilise on your current dose. This way you will maintain a steady amount of Bupe in your bloodstream and better saturate receptors. If after a couple of weeks you still feel you would like to reduce, I would suggest you drop by 2mg over a couple of weeks. Being so far over the ceiling, you may not feel anything, but it wouldn't hurt to approach it this way.
I was on 18 and am now on 12mg.
After so many years of misery in active addiction, I cannot risk living that life again. I will most likely stay on suboxone for the rest of my days.
I wish you the best Mike, please stay in touch!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:17 am 

Hey Mike,

Well to answer ur question about knowing what stable feels like....to me it's getting ur body stabilized on a specific dose. Like no cravings or withdrawal and ur body adjusts to that dose and u have gave it time before u jump down again before u even got used to the one before....did I explain that ok lol? Keep in mind though that I'm no rapid taperer, I started out on 16 and was a good while before I dropped to 12 then another good while before I dropped to 8 and that's where I am now. If I'm happy at a dose, then I'm in no rush to go down til I'm absolutely positive I'm ready for it. Everyone is so different and u gotta do what is best for u....and of course what ur Dr wants u to also, don't wanna make ur Dr mad :) So don't rush, ur still less than two weeks along.

As far as that oxy u got laying around, u just need to toss that sucker. Think about all the problems that one little pill will cause u. If u fail a drug test, you'll wish u had just tossed it. Not worth it my friend, u don't wanna go bk to that life ever again.

I don't do twelve steps, I go to sub based meetings. The meetings around my area are completely against suboxone. I just chose a different path, to me it was too stressful to try to hide it and it just made me very angry to be judged like that. But not all are like that, so if it helps u, I say that's awesome. Keep posting Mike, this place is full of support and information!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:00 am 

Hey movingup, just saw ur post and wanted to reply to it too....

In the beginning of my treatment, I also felt that habit creep in about taking more. That's what you've been used to during active addiction and honestly it's a hard habit to break, I remember it well. U just have to keep urself busy and u will adjust urself from feeling that need to dose more than u were used to. I can assure u that taking three strips a day, if u take any little bit extra, u won't feel a thing. It would be a waste of ur medicine and leave u short.

As far as pain goes that's different. I have no pain issues so I'm not experienced with that side of sub. But from what I've read on the forum, ppl split their doses up throughout the day to control their pain. Like maybe u could take one strip in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. U should ask ur Dr how he/she wants u to take it since u do have a medical condition that causes pain. My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and I know how difficult the pain is with her. So yeah, talk to ur Dr movingup, u don't wanna suffer unnecessarily.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank u so much for your help. I needed to hear that if i did take more it wldnt help. Its such a habit! Even when I feel fine! The joint pain is uncomfortable, but like new guy said..... It cld be because of my higher dose. It most definitely is not a game changer. I cant even believe the difference in my appearance. Suddenly, i am back to my old self. Worrying abt whether or not my nails are painted. Fixing my hair when im not even going anywhere?? It is a life changing moment for me. Slowly my house is getting back in shape. Its simply the old habits I have to break. Thank u again so much!