It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New guy looking for help
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello and see if I could get some guidance. I am the only person I know on Suboxone and I've been in and out of the recovery (12 step scene) for years - with intermittent success.

This time, it went ot Norco's. abotu 15 \ day for almost a year, and prior to that it ws the long grind up from six, 5 Mg vicodin up to 15 - 18 10 Mg Norcos \ Day. Went to a 6 day detox for the hydrocodone and they had me off them in a week using Suboxone. Pain issues (and in hindsight, maybe I detoxed too fast) brought back norco and the addiction took off, and since I am finished wiht "treatment centers" I figured I find a Sub Doc and do it at home.

He has prescribed 2 8Mg films a day and I've been doing that for a month. i dont' want it to pan out inot a lifetime, or even a long term hing, but I can tell I need the Sub shortly after I get up (get the achy's and such).

Doc didn't say how long this will take, and my next visit is in about a week.

If ther eis anyone who might offer some ideas, I would be truly grateful! I am doing this deal all alone, with support form a loving wife, but thought I was stuck being "all by myself" through this process..... Till I saw you all! ;)

Thanks!
Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Rick and welcome to the forum,

Its great to talk to people that know what your going through, that's what great about this forum.

Ive been on Suboxone for about 5 months. I havent thought about how long I'll be on it either, I don't think many people have. It's very different for everyone. Some might need it long term while other don't.
I just take it slow and see how it pans out.

I think you'll find a lot of really useful information here.

Stay strong, we are all in this together !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Lindy!

It's nice NOT to be alone!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Support
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:39 pm 

I like your screen name, it says what you intend to do and confirms that you have thought about it. Trying to do it yourself works for some but most need some kind of support system to help them get through the rough patches. You've detoxed before so you know there is no such thing as a pain free withdrawal. Suboxone does help if used correctly and tapered nice and slow. How a rehab place can get an addict w/d free in 30 days is beyond me. It should take at least two months to do it right but I will find out soon because my brother checked into a 28 day rehab to get off of an Oxy habit. I wouldn't call him an addict but he does take an extra one every now and then. The rehab place is using Suboxone to help wean him down. He'll be out in two weeks so I'll know more then.

But I forgot to say Welcome to the forum! That usually is said first but I tend to get carried away. I hope you stick around and make some friends here. That's what this is all about. If you stay on Suboxone or get off of it completely, we support your decision either way. Recovery comes in all sizes and we support them all within reason. We like to keep this place a positive experience and try to discourage arguments about which recovery method is best.

Ask any questions you have about Suboxone and it'll get answered by many. Most of us are still on it (myself included) and we have a decent amount of people who quit it and are doing quite fine. See if you can find time to read some of the older topics, especially ones about tapering and jumping off of Sub. You will find them quite helpful in your own journey of Suboxone use.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I first got on Suboxone, I was the only person around that I had heard of who used it...nobody had been to a doctor who prescribed it, nobody had ever heard of it, and not even anyone on the street had it to buy...so I went blind into treatment when I found out about it and what it did for opiate addiction..I'm glad I took the leap too...no telling where I would be (4 years later) if I hadn't.

Fast forward to today, I've been on suboxone for 4 years now. I also use it for legitimate pain issues, but I've not considered when, if ever, that the day will come that I don't take it. I sometimes talk it over with my wife, but just once in a while..and there's really no plans on my end to stop using it...it helps and I feel much safer having that "safety net" there, and in place.

It's all a case-by-case basis though. You can't ever just use the same standard for everyone, because each person is different and has different objectives and goals...so you have to decide...and plan your future with, or without Suboxone.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Rule!

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, my intention is to get off all things, but I am finding out, as I usually do, that I can be pretty narrow minded sometimes and I "take myself too seriously" quite frequently - LOL. I really thought this was gonna be a simple 30 day step down and a bounce out, but I am learning differently. As far as staying on it for a lifetime or using it to get off, I have no opinion - whatever works best for the person who's affected, I figure. I'm gonna need to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with personally, to be able to determine how soon, if at all, I will be able to "B_Free" ... I hope so! Thaks for the Welcome and the ideas.

Hey Jonathan!

Looks like you and I have real similar introductions to SubX! I had no idea it existed until that 6 day Detox - then thought "What a Miracle Mediciine"! It really DOES work for pain relief - I have a couple fused disks and degeneration in others, so I do have chronic, persistent pain. However, I have been on opiates or something for SO long, I dunno whats real & what's not sometimes. Would like to "clear all playing fields" to 0 substances, just to get a grip on what is actual and what is some sort of withdrawal pain.

At any rate, after finding you all and seeing what the real process can be like, I think I'll take it one day at a time and do my best to "follow Doc's directions". In the meantime, I hope I can be of support to someone else and enjoy the fellowship you all are offering.

I spend a LOT of time in front of this PC (work requires that I have thi sup and running) so I look forward ot being a "part of". It can get really lonely being "the only one who has this secret"!

Thank you all for the welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rick!!

Your screen name IS awesome, like Rule said!!
It can mean FREE from suboxone one day OR it can mean FREE from all that 'other' junk we all have experience with!!!

Anyway, I too, hope you stick around and make some friends. I was SO happy to find this forum as well, because I live in a rural area, and there just isnt 'much' for recovery and support here. Although, now I do have a group (AA) that a few of 'us' suboxone patients attend. Before that, Id go to meetings and see ALL kinds of people I used to sell to or buy from and there was some 'shady' crap going on. I thought THIS is NOT the place for me!!!!

Glad I found this place shortly afterward.

And Lindy is right, (everyone else, too) that its a very individual decision how long your suboxone 'therapy' will go on. When I first went in, i just wanted to be on it long enough to get the worst of the methadone w/d over with.
Funny thing is,
suboxone DOES help with pain, and for me, makes life "liveable"
without oxy or dilluad or whatever else. AND even stranger than that, the last 14 months of my life have been the BEST ever!!!!!
So Im not gonna "fix it" if it isnt 'broken' if you know what I mean................

so WELCOME

and I saw your post about the chat, I have had a few chat meetings, on the weekends since I work M-F
Anyways, my work schedule has been really hecktick, but I set up two meetings this weekend, becuz of the short notice

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6726

Let me know if you have any questions!!!!!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:53 am 

Hi Rick! It's good to have you here! By coming to this forum you have opened up a world of wisdom about suboxone and recovery in general. I'm a noob compared to many people here, but I have learned a few things along the way as well. :)

You are very wise to seek out some support online if you're having a hard time locating others in your area who understand what you're going through. I didn't know anyone else who was on sub either, until I saw an acquaintance nodding off in a church meeting. I approached her after the meeting and she was very forthcoming about her addiction to narcotic meds. I explained a lot about suboxone to her and got her in to see my sub doctor. Now we are both on sub! I consider that a little success story!

I have been on sub just over 7 months now and I'm in the process of tapering the medication. I started at 16 mg and I'm now down to a little less than 8 mg/day. I've had a few withdrawal symptoms here and there, but for the most part it's gone really well. My goal is to be off suboxone after I taper down very low, but I'm open to staying on sub for longer if I feel that I need it.

I wish you well on your journey! Keep us updated and let us know if you have more questions or concerns.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy!

Yeah, I am finding that I don't know very much about this med. When I started, I just wanted to get off the pills for chronic pain, but the addict part in me got those pills to where I was buying them on the streets in order to supplement my script, and, well.. I'm sure you know how it goes.

So I was prescribed 2-8Mg Films\day. I found when I took a whole one I got so "rushed & scattered" that I couldn't really function normally. So I split it up into 4-.5 films a day. Skip a head a couple weeks and I got lax in my doseages and even took a quarter film etra once in a while for a "bump" at the end of the day, so I thought.

Now, I'm back to what I was told to do and still not taking a whole one at a time. But, In order to establish "regularity" I would really like to just take it on a schediule and forget about it. So, I'm trying a half film, wait an hour, then the other half and the same in the afternoon.

That started yesterday and I noticed a bit of nausea & irritability. The irritability might be due to some "parenting" stuff that's goin on.

So anyway, I want to taper down correctly, as you are as well. It's nice to actually "meet" someone who is doing it the way I am wanting to as well. Can I ask you a question? Did minor adjustments (like 1\4 film changes a day) have noticeable effects on you? Illness, frustration, fatigue.. Blah, blah blah? I would be interested in knowing how you've been effected by your taper changes.

I actually play(ed) on our Praise Team for YEARS - LOL. I have seen folks nodding off in church, until I hit a sour note - THAT wakes 'em up! Hahah. There are plenty of folks in the Church I attend that are in recovery. But it's not really "out there". I took a break for a while until I get this process stabilized as well as take care of some home stuff.

Sorry if I "pounced" on you with a reply - It's strange - You talk to someone here once and it feels like you have known them for quite sometime!

Be well and feel free to "jot your thoughts" down anytime - Would love to hear back.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 am 

Hey Rick,

I'll tell you about my tapering process in more detail. I started on sub on October 24, 2011. My doctor wanted me to be on sub for 6 months and then start tapering, although he is really flexible with that. At the time of my induction my doctor told me to only dose once a day if I could. The reason for that is so that I would get away from the addict-type behaviors of constantly thinking about the next dose. It worked for me. Within a week I was no longer obsessing about how I was feeling and whether I needed a pill. At this point I sometimes forget to take my dose!

I started tapering at 5 months instead of 6 months. I went down from 16 mg to 12mg and stayed there for a month. At my May appointment the doc wanted me to drop to 10 mg for two weeks and then drop to 8 mg for the next two weeks. On the 4th day after dropping to 8 mg, I noticed that I was feeling kind of achy and I couldn't regulate my body temp very well. As soon as I took my sub that evening the feelings went away. That was the only withdrawal symptom I have had.

At my doctor's appointment last weekend the doctor switched my prescription from 8 mg strips to 4 x 2 mg strips. Every day I take 3 whole strips and I snip the corner off the 4th. After a few days, I will snip off a larger piece and stick with that for a few days. My doctor said that he would rather that I taper smaller amounts more frequently than to have me make large adjustments more slowly.

So that's my tapering story up until now. What do you play? I'm one of four singers in our church's praise band. I enjoy it so much!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hear you, Amy!

I am still plagued with "waiting for the next dose" thinking! I would LOVE to be at a place where I'm not like that. I also like Diary's suggesiton of take it at t6he same time, daily and try to forget about it. Keeping regularity might be the next step.

being able to forget a dose would be awesome - i have SO much else going on right now with my teenager that I don't have time for being all wrapped up in "me"!

Thanks for your Taper Story" as well! That is awesome. I know I'll get there - especially with your guys' support and experience.

I can DO this!

Thanks!