It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New guy just saying hi
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey whats up everybody, first post just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been a lurker for a long time but for some reason never got around to registering and finally decided to tonight. I have been on subutex since July 2010 and I have done very well on it. Again just wanted to say high and Im glad to finally be a part of this forum and look forward to talking with everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:49 pm 

It's great to have you here! We always have room for a new addition to our collective wisdom. :)

How did you get a doctor to prescribe Subutex as opposed to Suboxone? If you've been lurking here, you've probably heard that most doctors will only prescribe Subutex to pregnant women. Is your doctor a little more enlightened than most?

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi amy thanks for responding to my post and welcoming me. About the subutex, I was actually first started on 16mgs of brand name suboxone tablets but due to headaches and stomach aches my doctor decided it was ok for me to take subutex. Now mind you this didnt happen right away, I asked two seperate times and was turned down but I had/have always been compliant and the side effects persisted and I also persisted in asking again and on the third time he agreed to do it for me and I havent looked back since. The side effects were instantly gone when I switched and to be honest I was very suprised, I thought that it wouldnt make any difference and was just holding out hope that it was the naloxone causing me discomfort and not just a side effect of the buprenorphine itself. I dont know if Id say my doctor is more enlightened then most Id just say he's a very understanding compassionate guy IME and he's always tried to help me the best he can. I lucked out because hes the only sub doc Ive ever had and he is of the belief that bupe should be long term if not for life so its nice to know I can go at my own pace.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Buprecision,

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you do have a really good doctor, I just wish there were more of them! My area seems to be plagued with doctors who will only prescribe for short periods of time...there aren't many who will even consider long term maintenance. If you find a good one you better stick with em!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes I am very grateful and feel blessed to have my doctor, before I started lurking here and other bupe forums I figured my experience was the norm and thats how most sub doctors were but after reading posts from other people it seems unfortunately thats not the case. My Dr. doesnt Rx subutex regularly though because when he finally agreed to do it he said "now Im trusting you with this and out of all my patients you are only 1 of 3 who I prescribe it to and the other two are pregnant women" which made me feel good because it means he obviously trusts me and believes Im not trying to pull a fast one.

I will say though that honestly the fact that subutex is so demonized in terms of it being "abusable" is so off base its ridiculous, aside from those side effects that I had going away subutex is absolutely no different at all in how it feels to me. My doc is an older guy and he's been around for a long time one thing I was wondering about is are these doctors who wont Rx subutex no matter what or they wont prescribe for indefinite periods young doctors because it seems if you can find a knowledgeable doctor who has been practicing a long time (prior to the oxy epidemic before the DEA decided to try and strong arm doctors pretty much telling them what they can/should Rx) they will prescribe you what they feel is best and not hinder your treatment due to fear of DEA.

That might be all speculation on my part but it seems most people I meet with younger doctors have the most strict rules placed onto them, maybe its just coincidence. I feel very lucky to have my dr but on the other side of the coin Im also scared because there will come a time he retires and if Im planning to take this for an indefinite period of time then I may well be screwed and the next dr will just cross his arms and say "nope suboxone or nothing" and in that case I'll have to choose nothing because I wont pay triple what I pay now just to feel like dog crap ya know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome!

Yeah, I had a "suboxone or nothing" doctor. In fact, he wouldn't have even prescribed me subutex if I had gotten pregnant, would have been back to mdone. He was like 80 years old though.. old school. (rolling my eyes)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It just doesnt make any sense to me its crazy, like your situation him saying he would switch you to take methadone and uproot your stability and recovery instead of give you the SAME EXACT MED minus the naloxone for what ya know? Its not like methadone has any freakin naloxone in it and its a full agonist so that kind of logic is so far out there it just leaves me scratching my head. Its like "here Im gonna switch you to a full agonist that can easily get you high just to avoid the avoid the off chance that you might abuse subutex which cant get you high (if your on maint. that is, ive heard people who arent get really high off it)

Last edited by Buprecision on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HMMM I am a newbie...15th day on Suboxone and I've also had issues with headaches. My first appt. I asked for Subutex...mostly because in my personal situation I don't see the point in adding Naloxone. Anyway..I got a huge lecture about why the doc has only ever had 2 patients in his practice he allowed to take Subutex. One had an allergy to Naloxone and I forget what the deal was with the other. Anyway, I am prescribed the 8mg Suboxone films. I *do* know another doctor that would prescribe Subutexbut he's a tad expensive and I'd have to switch docs when I'm so early in treatment. Is it worth it, do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh snap! How rude of me...welcome Buprecision! Nice to see you :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well I dont know your situation in terms of how much more of a financial burden it would be to switch to the Dr. who would Rx it for you and also dont know the severity of your headaches and nausea/stomach problems but I'll say if they are like mine were and they constantly bother you and are always on your mind then yes its totally worth it. Also a nice bonus if you have to pay out of pocket like me because its only 3$ a tablet at walmart, dr junig has said in his area its as low as 2$ a pill, I really wish I could find a price that low but Ive had no luck yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Buprecision,

I don't know if the age of the doctors have as much to do with them being willing to do long term maintenace as much as it is how they have been taught to view addiction. My original doctor was not young, probably in his late 60's, and he wouldn't consider long term maintenace...and I'm sure he would have laughed me out of the office if I had ever asked for subutex. I never did, as I never had any issues with the suboxone, but I can guarantee he wouldn't have considered it. He was a tough old bird!

The only doctors in my area that I'm aware will do long term maintenace are both somewhere around 50-ish. One is a psychologist, who is no longer practicing in this area, and the other is a GP who has dealt with addiction throughout his career. They both understood the fact that addiction isn't something you can magically get past in a year of treatment. I really think most doctors feel like once you treat the physical dependence to the opiate and slowly taper down, you just have to make the choice to stay sober and won't need the suboxone any more.

I am really saddened by the fact that so many doctors really just don't "get it"! And patients, and the family of patients are going to them thinking they have all the answers, that they are "experts" in treating addiction, taking their word as gold and being led to failure.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I just thought I would address that part of your post from the other day. Good luck with your treatment.

Q