It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New guy here
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone, my name is Billy. I have been an opiate user daily ish for the last 6 years. I had some clean time occasionally, however the last 3 years have been a battle. I have 6 days clean today just grinding it out with NA. I have my first appointment with a suboxone doctor in the morning. I am a chronic relapser. I was on suboxone about 5 years ago for about 6 weeks and stopped with success. It was short lived as I didn't put in the work to stay clean.in the last 3 months I have "tried" to stop 4-5 times with no success. I was concerned that by seeing the doctor tomorrow I was just trying to continue using. After talking with my NA sponsor he believes that I am doing the right thing by going tomorrow. I am still feeling blah and I am unfortunately only a phone call away from using at anytime. That last part is my downfall, as I'm sure others on here have the same gift of being able to manipulate and charm there way into scoring drugs even when we don't have a pot to piss in. I also have the unfortunate gift of being a math and number guru, so even after deleting the numbers in my phone, I can remember all the bad ones. I am nervous about tomorrow morning, any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of hurting the ones I love with the destruction of my using. My girlfriend and family are on board with the choice of suboxone treatment.

Post subject: Re: New guy here
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:27 pm 

Hey Billy :)

Welcome! First off I think ur doing exactly what you need to do to stay in recovery. And it is pretty cool u have a NA group that supports suboxone, I haven't been so lucky with that over the yrs that I have been on sub so I just attend my sub clinic meetings which is great for me. Also, I stopped many times when I was in active addiction. My problem was not being able to stay stopped because of the horribly intense cravings and depression that came along with stopping. I did rehab, NA, detox after detox and still finally always released. Kinda sounds like ur like that too maybe. Sub was the only thing I tried that truly worked for me. Since that first day 3 yrs ago that I started sub, my life has been so much better and I think ur doing the right thing for u. It also seems like u have some good support which is great. I'm sure ur appt will go good tomorrow and u can stop feeling like ur gonna relapse any second, I know that feeling sucks so bad. That anxious feeling will be much better after u take ur sub.

Good luck tomorrow!! Please update us on how it goes for ya. Welcome again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:30 pm 

I meant I finally always relapsed not released. Sorry guys, got a new phone and I didn't go bk and check my words :/ auto correct.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

HI Billy,

I second what Jenjen said; you are doing the right thing by choosing suboxone. It will allow you to cut ties with people you know who have pills, find a replacement process instead of actively searching for agonists, etc.

I had a similar experience to yours. I'd go through horrible detox, feel great a few weeks after, then someone would call with some sort of opiate for sale and I'd get right back into it. Rinse and repeat for a few years. Ugh, what a horrid cycle and no way to live life.

So, it sounds like you've made a great choice for suboxone. There is no high to seek, no cravings, etc. while on sub. Even if you do have some side effects from the medication, they can usually be alleviated with decreasing your dose, working your program, staying healthy, etc. Plus, side effects (and you will likely not even have them) are small in comparison to active addiction. Plus, what about all of the money you'll save by not buying pills or other opiates. Score!

If you can somehow cut all ties with the people who have opiates, I'd do it if I were you. It's just too tempting to give in when someone calls and offers you a great deal on some oxy or whatever...just way too easy to take them up on it, you know? Even if some of those people may be your friends, you just have to tell them you've had enough. I did and it was hard because some of those people were my friends, but I felt a lot better after I'd made the decision to cut all ties with opiates of any kind. Then you can focus on your family, non-opiate friends, anyone who isn't on opiates.

I wish you the best and hope everything goes well for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the replies and kind words. It's great to have people whom we donot know offer their insight and experience. I am grateful.So doctor appointment went well. However today I feel like complete dogshit. I think I am prescribed too much, 2-8mg films a day, I'm going to try half today. I'm concerned as I feel pretty lousy. Will I feel better or worse as I feel hungover not withdrawal symptoms. I'm a little frustrated as I feel worse today then I did the last 3 days

Last edited by Blwn99x on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And I just threw up. I feel awful. I feel like a took a huge step backwards. I have not taken my dose yet today as it is at my parents house because I had to work last night. My girlfriend is driving me there now. I hope 1/2 a film is going to make me feel ok today. Sorry for the rambling, I'm in my head right now and feeling awful isn't helping

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:28 pm 

Hey Billy,

So sorry to hear ur sick!! U hadn't taken any opiates for about a week prior to ur first dose of sub, is that right? Just making sure ur not in precipitated withdrawal. If u haven't taken anything except sub, u probably are taking too much I'd think. Now I'm no doctor, but it's very possible that's what the problem is. Like u said, I'd start ur day off with 4-8mg. If that helps and holds u through the whole day, then I'd stick with that dose. U could even try lower if ya want. If taking a lower dose doesn't work and ur still sick, definitely call ur doctor first thing in the morning. Don't worry, u will get this sorted out. Keep us posted. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm sorry you're feeling bad. Like jenjen I wonder if you still had some opioids in your system which caused precipitated withdrawal. The only reason I say that is that when I started about 6-1/2 weeks ago I took 16 the first day and it actually relieved the moderate withdrawal symptoms I was experiencing, so that I felt very well.

Please let us know how you do taking 1/2 or 4 mgs. Also, sometime people have some side-effects the first week that work themselves out within a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I second what Morphing and JJ said. Maybe you should try taking less to see if it helps? Sub can make you nauseous, especially at high doses and during the first week of taking it.

Also, it does take a few days to a week to stabilize. Some people take up to two weeks to really start feeling better/their bodies finally adjust to sub.

Of course, I'm no doctor and not an expert, but if I were you, I'd try taking a bit less as others have suggested. I know it sucks, we've all been there, just try to remind yourself that it can take a while to stabilize. If you push through, you will feel better!

Best to you,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Billy

I agree with Jenn & morphing. Considering you have been off opiates for a week it may have been to much sub for you to start with. I felt kinda yucky and my doc thought i was in PW's but i had a kidney stone brewing (just my luck).

Did you take the 4mg yesterday? Are you doing ok today?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello again, first part of the day was hangover city, I definately had too much per the doctors instructions Wednesday. Once the nausea calmed down late afternoon I took 1/2 a film(4mg) and felt ok. Headaches are pretty often right now but I understand that's a side effect. 12 hours later I woke up in the early am thanks to my lovely girlfriend and took a 1/4 film or 2mg piece. I work night shift so I took last night off to make sure all was ok. Today I have started my day with 1/2 a film(4mg) and plan on judging how I am in 12 hours. I don't remember having such a tough adjustment period 4-5 years ago, but I was also in full blown COWS worksheet withdrawals, I think I scored an A+ back then, this time I was about a 15. Thank you for all the kinda words and guidance, il keep you up dated as things move along

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Blwn99x wrote:
And I just threw up. I feel awful. I feel like a took a huge step backwards. I have not taken my dose yet today as it is at my parents house because I had to work last night. My girlfriend is driving me there now. I hope 1/2 a film is going to make me feel ok today. Sorry for the rambling, I'm in my head right now and feeling awful isn't helping

you will get through!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah man I think you got it right....my only complaint with the subs was that a lot of the people I knew (and all my friends were into opiates so I knew a lot) seemed to get prescribed way way too much suboxone which caused a lot of problems for them.....especially since you know a lot of users still if you get overprescribed that is a big temptation because a lot of my friends would get like 90 8 mg subs a month and sell a lot of them to buy H when they had weak moments......I was on 4 mg a day for 8 years and I did great with no side effects and this was after a 3-4 hundred mg a day at least oxycontin use with h mixed in with nothing else around and I got stable on 4mg so 16 a day seems like a lot to me but talk to your doc about it....plus give yourself time once you are on it and stable.....getting rid of all those people and phone numbers in your head takes time but it will happen...I could remember a lot of numbers after 1 year but after 8 they were long gone....hang in there man you can do it