It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 pm



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 am
Posts: 9
Location: Los Angeles, California
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a couple of days since I started my Suboxone treatment on Monday. Thank you for being here..it's comforting to know that I am not alone. I have some questions / concerns. My background: I was using Norco's 10mg about 25 to 30 a day when I quit this past Sunday.

I have a question regarding getting my dose right. My DR. told me to cut my strip into 4 2mg pieces and take 2mg every hour until my withdrawl stopped and I was comfortable. For me, that ended up being at 14mg. However, I now thing it may be too much. I am having side effects like overly sleepy, loopy, agitated, feeling like I have had too much coffee, can't keep my eyes open, and a little depressed. After reading other post and information on the internet, I think I may be on too much. I called my Dr. yesterday and she said that it could take a few days to get used to the medicine and find the right dose..unfortunately, I did not find her very helpful. I want to know if I can safely lower my dose myself? I take it once a day in the morning.

Thank you so much for reading this and I am grateful for any suggestions, experience and advice!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 am
Posts: 937
Location: Southeastern US (Alabama)
kingsley1627 wrote:
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a couple of days since I started my Suboxone treatment on Monday. Thank you for being here..it's comforting to know that I am not alone. I have some questions / concerns. My background: I was using Norco's 10mg about 25 to 30 a day when I quit this past Sunday.

I have a question regarding getting my dose right. My DR. told me to cut my strip into 4 2mg pieces and take 2mg every hour until my withdrawl stopped and I was comfortable. For me, that ended up being at 14mg. However, I now thing it may be too much. I am having side effects like overly sleepy, loopy, agitated, feeling like I have had too much coffee, can't keep my eyes open, and a little depressed. After reading other post and information on the internet, I think I may be on too much. I called my Dr. yesterday and she said that it could take a few days to get used to the medicine and find the right dose..unfortunately, I did not find her very helpful. I want to know if I can safely lower my dose myself? I take it once a day in the morning.

Thank you so much for reading this and I am grateful for any suggestions, experience and advice!



I think you should listen to the doctor actually. You can't expect that poison (yeah..poison..the norcos you just stopped eating on Sunday) to be completely gone from your body in 3 days. It really doesn't seem like you had enough time between stopping norco and starting Suboxone...that can be a problem..plus, depending on how many you ate Saturday and what time you stopped on Sunday...it's gonna be another couple days before the stuff is completely eradicated from your body.
You gotta keep in mind, you're stopping a opiate habit, not a Suboxone habit. You take and eat a whole bunch of pills over a few years time, then take some suboxone at the end, you can't really say the Suboxone is causing it when it's only been a couple days since you stopped and started Suboxone.
hundreds of milligrams of norcos...and about 40mg of Suboxone.
I'd say give it a week, Suboxone isn't an instant cure, you really need to let your body level out before you try to start changing things.
Come back Next Wednesday after taking around 10mg per day...maybe try taking 5mg morning, and 5 at night...and next week, see how you feel then.

_________________
Adam Wayne P.
DOB: July 1, 1985
October 8, 2013

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 am
Posts: 9
Location: Los Angeles, California
jonathanm1978 wrote:
kingsley1627 wrote:
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a couple of days since I started my Suboxone treatment on Monday. Thank you for being here..it's comforting to know that I am not alone. I have some questions / concerns. My background: I was using Norco's 10mg about 25 to 30 a day when I quit this past Sunday.

I have a question regarding getting my dose right. My DR. told me to cut my strip into 4 2mg pieces and take 2mg every hour until my withdrawl stopped and I was comfortable. For me, that ended up being at 14mg. However, I now thing it may be too much. I am having side effects like overly sleepy, loopy, agitated, feeling like I have had too much coffee, can't keep my eyes open, and a little depressed. After reading other post and information on the internet, I think I may be on too much. I called my Dr. yesterday and she said that it could take a few days to get used to the medicine and find the right dose..unfortunately, I did not find her very helpful. I want to know if I can safely lower my dose myself? I take it once a day in the morning.


Thank you so much for reading this and I am grateful for any suggestions, experience and advice!



I think you should listen to the doctor actually. You can't expect that poison (yeah..poison..the norcos you just stopped eating on Sunday) to be completely gone from your body in 3 days. It really doesn't seem like you had enough time between stopping norco and starting Suboxone...that can be a problem..plus, depending on how many you ate Saturday and what time you stopped on Sunday...it's gonna be another couple days before the stuff is completely eradicated from your body.
You gotta keep in mind, you're stopping a opiate habit, not a Suboxone habit. You take and eat a whole bunch of pills over a few years time, then take some suboxone at the end, you can't really say the Suboxone is causing it when it's only been a couple days since you stopped and started Suboxone.
hundreds of milligrams of norcos...and about 40mg of Suboxone.
I'd say give it a week, Suboxone isn't an instant cure, you really need to let your body level out before you try to start changing things.
Come back Next Wednesday after taking around 10mg per day...maybe try taking 5mg morning, and 5 at night...and next week, see how you feel then.



I ATE about 20 on Saturday..I was in withdrawl almost 24 hours before I took the Suboxone and I am not expecting magic. I have been down this rode before friend. I am however new to detoxing myself at home with this medication which is why I reached out to this forum..thanks..very helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:04 pm
Posts: 423
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Of course you can try to lower your dose. I personally would just take about half of what you are taking and see how you feel.
You do not have to take your dose in 2mg increments. In fact to decrease addict like behavior, it is better to just dose one time a day so you don't get into the habit of the popping pill motion of taking something over and over throughout the day.
Once in the mornings sounds good to me. Now getting the right dose to reduce cravings and not get too sleepy is a tricky process. It just takes some time to know how you feel.
You might want to journal how you are feeling through out the day and log the mg of Subs to go along with it. That way, you can look back at your log and follow how you are doing. You can always use this site as your journal. Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 am
Posts: 9
Location: Los Angeles, California
raudy1975 wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Of course you can try to lower your dose. I personally would just take about half of what you are taking and see how you feel.
You do not have to take your dose in 2mg increments. In fact to decrease addict like behavior, it is better to just dose one time a day so you don't get into the habit of the popping pill motion of taking something over and over throughout the day.
Once in the mornings sounds good to me. Now getting the right dose to reduce cravings and not get too sleepy is a tricky process. It just takes some time to know how you feel.
You might want to journal how you are feeling through out the day and log the mg of Subs to go along with it. That way, you can look back at your log and follow how you are doing. You can always use this site as your journal. Good luck!



Thank you so much for your reply. It has been 3 days since I started, If I cut my dose in half tomorrow will I have withdrawl? thanks again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:04 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 am
Posts: 937
Location: Southeastern US (Alabama)
Most likely yes...you need at LEAST 8mg of Suboxone in your system at once to fully saturate your opioid receptors in the brain. If you aren't getting that, then you're not fully getting the effect that Suboxone is capable of.

If you lower your dose to half of what you're taking now, that'll be 7mg....which isn't enough in a 24hr period to saturate the opioid receptors and make you feel "normal".

And by normal, I don't mean sleepy, in a fog, dazed, or somewhat 'high'...I mean *normal*...as you should feel.

I would try just keeping things where you are right now for a couple more days....give this medicine time to work. I'm sure others will agree with me. You've only got two days in...I've been on Suboxone for 5+ years now. If you don't take enough, you still have breakthrough withdrawals and some folks don't know the difference in that and the effect of taking too much Suboxone.

Your body needs time to level out on a particular dose before you change it. Take a look around at others posts...you'll find most people don't start feeling "right" until about a week into it. Takes that long before your body realizes you don't need 300mg of hydrocodone daily.

_________________
Adam Wayne P.
DOB: July 1, 1985
October 8, 2013

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group