It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to forum
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone: Been around the forum for a few days collecting some info on Suboxone, it's pro's and con's.
I haven't yet started taking the medication but will be within the next couple of months. Due to a chronic pain issue I have developed a very high tolerance to morphine between 600-800 mg per day. Four weeks ago I underwent major orthopedic surgery(full knee replacement), and in about 8 weeks I will be having the other knee done. My doctor, surgeon and Addiction doctor have all agreed that it would be better that I wait until after the second surgery to begin taking suboxone. I have had addiction problems in the past and I am a alcoholic that hasn't drank in 17 years. I realized several months ago that the morphine was becoming a problem but didn't realize how much of a issue until I tried to cut back. So I am keeping my fingers-crossed that when the time comes that Suboxone will add the emotional stability back into my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tierre0,

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on 17yrs with no alcohol!!! Wow, that's great!!

I would have to agree with your doctor, I wouldn't switch over to Suboxone until your surgeries are done. Suboxone is not known for it's great pain relieving properties. It'll help with pain, but it's not the best.....at least that's my understanding of it. If you're having addiction issues with morphine, then Suboxone will certainly be able to help you. You will have to be off the morphine for a bit then switch over to Suboxone, I'm sure you're already aware of this though.

I know Suboxone enabled me and many others to get off full strength (agonist) opiates and that enabled us to get our lives back.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi tierre0 and welcome to the forum! I also agree with your doctor. Get that last surgery done FIRST, then start suboxone. Suboxone tends to raise our tolerance as well as block the effects of full agonists ("regular" pain meds), so this way you'll get better pain relief post-op if you haven't started suboxone yet.

Like Romeo said, sub isn't great at relieving pain, but it does have the ability to help it. I also take it for chronic pain relief it it usually makes my pain tolerable.

Let us know how you're doing and when you start. Again welcome to the forum. I hope you keep posting, even before you start sub.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the greetings HatMaker 510 and Romoe. I am sure I will visit the forum quite often because I do have a lot of questions and concerns that I am sure can be answered here. Although I haven't started my treatment yet I have a feeling that this forum will help as part of my support system before I begin as well a after I begin. I have been really lucky so far with having doctors who are very supportive of my choices. At first I wasn't sure how my GP would react but he has been my doctor for many years and has been aware of my past drug and alcohol problems for many years. I have to say he has been understanding and extremely helpful . My addiction doctor I found throw the OATC(Ontario Addiction Treatment Centers) which has a branch in my home town as well as numerous other towns in Ontario. So anyone in Ontario looking for treatment look up the OATC site on the net and it will give you a listing for all the sites as well as corresponding programs for other provinces.
Anyway I look forward to getting to know the other members of the formum. As for a little more info about myself. As I mentioned I am from Ontario. I am a 51 year old woman with a long history of O.A. and R.A. that accounts for my joint issues and my knee replacement surgeries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ontario!! Well, we have a fellow Canadian on the site. I grew up just outside of Windsor. I live in the states now, but I'm still a Canadian Citizen, someday I'll do the Naturalization process, just don't know when?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have found a lot of interesting information via the forum over the last few days so I am feeling a bit more confident now in my choice to try suboxone. I still have several weeks until my next surgery I should find out the date at my follow-up appointment on Tuesday. I would like to get it done as soon as possible but both my surgeon, and my G.P. have said I have to be patient and let my first knee heal for at least 12 weeks so it is strong enough to support my other surgery . I have just past the 5th week and my left knee which was replaced is coming along good. My g.p. has up my morphine to about 600mg per day so I have the supply I need and my addiction doctor is working on the paperwork so as soon as I am given the okay by my other doctors I can make the switch.
One thing that surprised me was people doing inductions themselves. My addiction doctor insist that her patients spend at least 24hours in the hospital so they can be evaluated and are without any doubt in withdrawal before she begins dosing them which she does over a 3 hour period in the out-patient center where you go upon release from the hospital.
Also I am lucky because of the new health care rules here in Canada cut down on the cost for individuals with government insurance only have to pay a deductible and pharmacy charge.
I just hope that things work out the way I hope, I thought I was all done with the addiction issue years ago but old habits die hard and with all the health issues over the last couple of years it doesn't surprise me I am back at the beginning again.

Post subject: Hello & Welcome .....
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:43 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi tierre0,
Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on your sobriety!!!! I too am an Alcoholic and Addict. I have been "Clean" and on Suboxone for Over 2 years and Sober since 6/08/2011. I would also recommend postponing your Suboxone treatment until After your upcoming Surgery.... The only thing I would suggest to you is to keep the Dr's. & Nurses up to date on how much pain medication you are using when you go in for surgery. They will NEED to know the TRUTH so they can treat your Post - Op pain correctly!! I only suggest this because I wasn't honest and had surgery while i was using..... BAD Mistake by Me. They couldn't get my pain under control for a few days until my Sister (She was a nurse) Made me 'come clean" with the Hospital about my addiction. It was only then they could start to give the right amount of pain meds to make me somewhat comfortable!!! I hope this may help with your surgery? Take care of yourself and please keep in touch with the Forum so we can see how you're doing..... Keep up the great work!

God Bless
TW

congrats

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tierreO, welcome. My name is Queenie. Seems we have a few things in common.

I am 68 yrs old and have OA & RA. I also have 6 leg bypass surgeries and a left leg amputation. Very bad circulation.

You are lucky. You have very caring doctors. that is so important. My doctors are very good also.

After you get the surgery over with, you can start the Suboxone and be well on your way to getting rid of your addiction,

I sincerely hope you stay with us & meet everyone. You will find that everyone here is willing to help in any way they can.

Please keep us posted and again, welcome.

Love, Queenie