It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to forum
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all I found this forum years ago but just decided to become active on it some really interesting threads on here that I can so relate to. I am almost 36 years old and have almost 2 years off the Heroin now on a stable dose of 5.7mg Zubsolv a day. I started Heroin at age 22 and by 26 I was destroyed, lost everything and was on the streets. I got clean the 1st time March of 2007 and stayed clean without the use of buprenorphine for 3 years, then I moved to Southern California and chronic relapsing and destroying my life worse as ever saw me through til 2014 when I decided to get on Buprenorphine treatment. I have a good job now with full benefits that cover 100 percent of my zubsolv every month. Even though I am on the bupe I still have the mental cravings some days, I found in life I would relapse not only when things weren't going well, quite the opposite I would relapse when everything was going well! So yes thank God for buprenorphine cause even with 12 steps and the program, a job I enjoy, new hobbies, a girlfriend, I still felt the mental cravings to use so I feel at this point in time I will be on a sort of opiate replacement therapy for the rest of my life and I'm ok with that, because the alternative is well we all know exactly what that feeling of misery and destitute is, it's something I wouldn't wish on anyone so I just wanted to reach out and introduce myself and say I'm thankful to be here, grateful.

Post subject: Re: New to forum
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:00 pm 

Hey joshyjagger (hope I got user name right I can't look bk and see lol) welcome!!

I'm like u, I'm pretty sure I'll be on opiate replacement therapy for the rest of my life. I've tried recovery different ways and never made it past six months without relapsing until I started suboxone yrs ago.

Suboxone changed my life so much. I came out of financial ruins, I got my children bk, my parents support again and the love of my life for the last five years. It's been amazing. I'm glad ur seeing the same things I am. Thanks for posting and stick around, this forum is an A+ for support :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yep I'll say this and it's purely subjective and it's purely personal what works for the individual is what works for the individual there is absolutely no certain one right way, but as I said in my introduction the 1st time I got clean after my 1st run the program worked alright for me, you know they say it works if you work it but after the chronic relapses the program just wasn't enough any longer, for me. If I was going to use and the craving popped up I would use no matter what, "pick up the phone and call someone", well the phone is heavier than the needle. I go to meetings nowadays but purely for fellowship and friends and to relate. I have developed other interests and hobbies other than drugs that is paramount in recovery. On a great day there are still mental cravings for using so you can imagine a bad day, bupe in my system just makes using simply a waste of money even if I wanted to use what a total waste, it always was but Hell!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:50 am 

I consider that message "The program works if you work." to be a rehab based lie. The problem is not that you weren't working, but that the abstinence based program is not supported by scientific evidence. It really bothers me that the message these programs give out is a lie perpetuated by a recovery industry that has a financial interest in addicts coming back to the program multiple time. I'm sure that many of the counselors who work at these places are true believers, but corporate has to be aware that based on relapse rates they are filling addicts with false hope. I think the abstinence based format is particularly not helpful for opiate addicts, who may deal with cravings and withdrawal symptoms that other drugs of abuse don't cause. There are so many opiate addicts dying that the industry has to do better!!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow Amy I absolutely agree with you, opiate addiction is a completely different Animal than other substance addictions, I've had different runs on other substances in the past alone while not being on an opiate at all, Crack, Meth, and while just as destructive recovering and staying clean from those substances is so different from the opiate and I found that while stable on opiate replacement therapy I have no desire or cravings to use any of the other non opiate drugs I had past addictions to. I just wish for more information on Buprenorphine for especially those who work in Hospitals and ER Nurses, Doctors, Surgeons so they aren't in the dark about it since it's becoming more prevalent and helping so many.