It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

Very nice to see such a friendly and understanding community. Surprises me that I've never been here before although I live by the video's the doc makes.

Let me shorten my story here. In a course of two years I developed stomach ulcers, broke my hip, neck, ankles and heart (awww). To help me through it the doctors kept throwing medication at me over and over. After it got to the point where I could tell the Vicodin weren't doing much for me I worked my way up to Oxycontin. After about a year on Oxycontin I finally admitted to myself that I had a problem and needed to find help.

I admitted myself into rehab for a couple weeks, the people were great but the idea overall was horrible. All they would give me was trazodone and Ibuprofen which counteracted with my ulcers in a horrible way.

I guess they got tired of me wondering the halls night after night because I couldn't sleep for the first five or six days. So they called a doctor in and he gave me suboxone. At the time I found it to be a miracle drug. I still do find it to be a very helpful drug, but unfortunately the side effects for down the road aren't given to you right away.

Since I started Suboxone my doctors have switched three times, first two being very nice but very confusing. I was told we would be on the medication for no more then six months. But in a four year period my dosage kept getting bumped and bumped.

To make matters worse and where I stand today. I recently spent three weeks in the hospital with bleeding ulcers unable lean over in bed let alone concentrate. But when I got out of the hospital I called my doctor for a meet and a refill. At this point they told me that I am not aloud back to their office because I did not fill out a forum they sent. Yes I have the forum now because it was sitting at my home while I was dying in the hospital. Worse yet I had a weeks worth of Suboxone left and my next meeting he wanted to UP my dosage.

So tapering down in a week was hell on earth and it just seems to get worse. I am on day 4 now with nothing in my system and by the grace of god my doctor called and is willing to set an appointment up next week. I have no idea what to do, I already feel so far in and yet so far away from the end.

I've always wanted off the medication, but I always imagined tapering my way down and not just cold turkey.

Sorry for the ramble and thank you for making such a great forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome, I am so sorry you are going thru this! This seems to be getting much too common around here lately. Did you explain you were in the hospital and did not get the form? If so what did they say, oh well? I am so sick of Dr.s treating their patients this way and I absolutley understand why you are thinking of quitting. I will say that I do not want anybody to rush you off if you are not ready but I understand your fear of this happening again.

This is one of the reasons I don't buy into the suboxone is just like any other med I take type of thinking. In my opinion it simply isn't allthough there are other meds you need or you may have some sort of dependance on their isn't the risk of them being taken away like this. If you were on a blood pressure med or anti depresant and your Dr. decided to cut you off you would have no problem getting a script from an urgent care or another Dr. the same just isn't true for Sub (or other opiates). So your sub Dr. and Sub itself have a power over you unlike anything else. I think it's simply proven by the fact that most everyone here recommends building a safety stash of sub in case something like this happens. Do you build the same safety stash of your other medications? I would think not because any Dr. can prescribe them to you if need be. I am sorry I am going off on this rant, it just makes me so mad that some Dr.s would do this to their patients. You have suffered enough and then to have this thrown at you. If I were you I would report his office to the medical board. If you choose to remain on sub I would probably go back one last time for a refil and find a new Dr. I know you said you have already been thru 3 so I can imagine your frustration.

I really hope whichever you choose that you are ok, I am so sorry this happened to you. Some how we need to find a way to stop this, we do not deserve to be treated like this. I only wish I knew of a way.

I also would like to add that everything above are my opinions and am not saying it is fact. (my little disclaimer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi rollz and welcome! Wow, it sounds like you've been through a lot. So you've been on suboxone for 4 years now, is that correct? You said your dose kept getting raised. What is the last dose you were on before the rug got yanked out from under you? Do you know why your doctor(s) kept raising it? Were you having cravings? Or were there other issues?

You're right in that you'd be better off doing a long, slow taper than going cold turkey. You'll have a much better shot at having an easier time with both acute and post-acute withdrawals with a slow taper. So you could go back to see the doctor, go back on sub at a much lower dose - like the lowest dose you need to keep you out of withdrawals, and then start a slow taper. That's just my opinion though - and I'm no doctor.

Any side effects that were bothersome for you should also subside once you get to a lower dose. And if that's the case and you do better at a lower dose - which BTW, most people do - you always have the option of staying on sub until you know you're ready to come off it. You might just be amazed at how much better you'll feel at the RIGHT dose for YOU.

Either way, no matter what you decide, we are here to support you in it. Hang in there!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Many thanks for the replies.

To answer the questions I was going 16 a day. And yeah they pretty much said "oh well to me." I drove to their office told them everything and even gave them numbers to call to confirm. They told me that they couldn't do anything about that so I asked if I could at least leave a message to my doctor, to which she replied no you are no longer on the list and can not speak with anybody on the property. After that I went to my family doctor and told her everything. She made calls and they told her the same thing that they wont see me. But god bless her she kept trying and finally got through to them. Unfortunately I have already begun the process of detoxing and its quite a dilemma. By the time I'd get to see the docotor I would already be a week and a half clean from suboxone.

The pain I have been going through is tolerable but the restless anxiety is driving me nuts. Since my normal doctor wont see me until November I went to the hospital to see if they could give me something to loosen the tension. As I'm sure a lot of Suboxone users know, saying it aloud is like a four letter word. Every single time I say Suboxone the doc steps back and goes "whoah whoah we can't prescribe that." It took me a good few minutes for me to get it across that I understood that and wasn't looking for suboxone. All the while they kept a security guard right next to my door :roll:

He gave me some fentanyl patches not sure how well they work. Also said to try xanax but that's the last thing I want to do. Substitute an addiction with another addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually ER docs are aloud to prescribe a 3 day script of suboxone. Many just do not know it. You could try going back and telling them this and maybe they can look into it and write you a script, even though it would only be for 3 days worth you can cut down your dose to make it last. I just do not understand how people could be so heartless, this is the only problem I see with sub. The medication itself is wonderful in my opinion but they really need to take a look at what some Dr.s are doing. I think in a lot of cases it is the office staff, however the Dr. is ultimately responsible since they hired them.

I really wish I had more advice for you. How lon has it been since your last dose of sub? At that dose it can take a while for the withdrawl to really begin. If you remeber the Dr. you saw in the ER I would try to find him and explain that he can prescribe you sub for 3 days, the fact that he wrote you a script for fentanyl leads me to believe he is sympathetic to your situation. This can be hard to find especially in the ER. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Many thanks, you have been extremely helpful. It has been 4 days since my last dose but I know the worse is to come. On the plus side I am sweating a lot but on the bad side I feel like I am losing control of my body arms failing and just wanting to flex my muscles for no reason.

I may take your advice and go back and ask, even 3 would be a large help with tapering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just want to make sure you know that I meant 3 days worth, not 3 tabs/strips. So you could get a script for 6 8mg tabs/strips. You should bring your old script with you if you still have it, if not they can confirm it with your pharmacy. Hope it works out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rollz, what a horrible story. It's hard to believe that a doctor (or his staff) could be so heartless and inflexible. First off, please, please do not start on Fentanyl. It's the strongest full agonist known to man and after 4 years clean you do not want to start on that - it would be a disaster.

I just went through a similar situation, albeit far less severe. I was cut off abruptly, then had the opportunity to go back on a week later. After ten days I would understand if you just want to stick it out. I ended up going on a very low dose (0.5 mg to start, then raised it to 0.75mg) and honestly, I feel fantastic. So I'm going to stay on it until I feel I have detoxed from 2 years at 12 mg, probably a couple of weeks, then taper down to 0.25 mg before I go off. If you decide to do something like this ask for the 2 mg films (or tabs). They are much easier to cut into tiny doses. I know less than a mg sounds like nothing, but this is a powerful drug. After being in WD a tiny dose like that will give you a lot of relief.

I wish you the best, and let us know how it goes,
Lilly