It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

after looking around the web for hours, i found this site and knew it was just what Ive been looking for. I'll start with my story. Ive been on oxycodone for about a year. I was on it before but stopped cold turkey and was off for about a year. It was the worst year of my life, but since i had been laid off my job, I figured it was a good time to quit. i never felt "normal" in that year. when I finally found a job, I also found a new dr. that prescribed my roxies. So for the past year things have been fine. im actually working 2 jobs now. Recently, I increased my roxies from 4 a day to 6 a day and then all of a sudden my dr. says he really isnt supposed to be writing scripts for this and wants me off. He gave me a referral for pain management and we talked briefly about suboxone. When I went to my appt for pain management, it was terrible. I was told that she wasnt going to be my supplier and I needed rehab. I was so upset when I left that office that I had to take an anxiety pill and wait half an hour to calm down before I could drive to work. i went back to my primary and told him and thankfully he didnt cut me off cold turkey, he gave me another script but back to the 4 a day. Its been very hard for me to cut down to this and a lot of days, I havent cut down, so I will come up short this month and I am scared to death. I know how awful it is to go without. Honestly, i dont even want to go off them, I feel like im being forced to and the only alternative i know of is suboxone or cold turkey. I feel like i will lose my jobs and everything else if I am forced to go cold turkey. i cant function going through the horrible withdrawals. so anyway, Im going along with my life just fine until my dr decided he didnt want to write this for me anymore and all of a sudden i feel like a junkie. I have been a nervous wreck and find myself taking anxiety medicine - which i hardley ever take - just because of the thought of not having my medication. so now what do I do? how do I find a dr that will give me suboxone or write me a script every month for my roxies? i dont even know much about suboxone - one of the reasons Im thrilled to find this website. i dont know what to expect from it. Is it possible to take 1 or 2 roxies for the pain and then a little later a suboxone for the withdrawals? that sounds good to me but somehow i dont think a dr will see it that way. Any suggestions or even just info on what to expect will be so much appreciated - even just having someplace to talk about this is a relief. Im going on and on but im just so filled with anxiety over this.. I hadnt even thought much about my medication - except if i was running low - and now its all I can think of. HELP!! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Flagirl, sorry to hear you were cut off by your doctors like that and treated like a junkie. It is sad how the doctors introduce people to these potent painkillers and then make them suddenly stop because they were violating the rules. It unfortunate but it is pretty common reading stories similar to yours.

It would probably be a good idea to wean yourself off of the painkillers, and then immediately try to start suboxone. By the way, taking roxis in the morning and suboxone in the evening would not be practical at all. In fact that would only make you even more sick because of the way suboxone acts. A doctor typically won't start you on suboxone until you are off of an opiate like oxycodone for 12-24 hours. I am not the best person on here with this sort of information, but I thought I’d give you a heads up of how it works. Also, are you scared to stop taking the oxycodone because of the pain, the high, or because you are scared of going into withdrawal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Fireman - thanks for replying, I appreciate the advice. I'm not even sure why I'm scared to get off the roxies. probably a combination of the pain and the withdrawals. I'm doing Ok cutting back but I dont even know if my dr is going to refill me when my month is up and just this not knowing and being afraid of the withdrawals makes it something that is on my mind CONSTANTLY. I'm sick of thinking about it and stressing over it. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. i did take more than I was supposed to a few days, so i know I'm in trouble by the end of my month anyway. going through this is the only reason i DO want to get off them

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

We all get sicked and tired of being sick and tired, the constant chasing, knowing the script will run out on x days prior to next appointment. The uncertainty. The feeling of being between a rock and a hard place. Unsympathetic Drs that prescribe like crazy, then leave the rehab up to you.

Sub can help you deal with all of that and then some. Everyone here has done it at least once and then some. What's nice about this site (compared to the loads of garbage on the net), is from what I've seen, it's people looking for answers how to get off this junk, not how to mix drugs or make buys or whatever.

I, like millions of others, housewives working men elderly and teens, started off "normal" and ended up HERE. That's all that needs to be said. Whether you say hooked/addicted/dependent/bad back/surgery/childhood trauma/, it's irrelevant insofar as suboxone is concerned.

Sub don't care how you got here, sub's here to help. But sub can be an evil master if you let it be. Sub is not roxy/oxy/ or anything else, it's an opiate that helps you get off other opiates, and while on sub, you will NOT feel ANY need to go BACK to the other stuff. Well perhaps occasionally, but it's a mental thing. Most the time (and I feel I speak for others here), your thoughts are elsewhere and not obssessing on pills, and that starts from the very start!

I've gone from 12-14 10mg percs to no percs and .5 mg/day of suboxone in a little over two weeks. No fooling. Hasn't been easy, but I've done this three times in a row now, leapfrogging from oxy to sub to oxy to sub, (due to availability), and so have learned to induct on the lowest dose possible and cut back as soon as possible, and it's been painful but that's MY choice to speed things up. If you go slower it is much easier. My first induction I had already read up on the net, and he gave me the pill, walked out of the room and I bit it in half and felt great later, that's 4 mg.

However, the abuser in all of us drove me with whips and chains to take 8 mg/day then 16 then 24. What a waste of perfectly good drugs, and the side effects at those dosages were horrendous.

Luckily there is a happy middle, as happy as you can be coming off of opiates.
The first thing to do is admit to yourself that you are IN TROUBLE. Big trouble. (Preaching to self here so hang on).
People in trouble ask for HELP. Sounds like you're there. This is very serious, your life depends on it big time, so take it seriously and you'll be fine.

Having inducted 3 times in the past 5 months, I can say I can do it with eyes closed and not blink, but please remember, everyone is different and the thousands of stories on the net have a common theme, namely that your mileage may vary. Each time I've inducted and stayed on less. The doctors would be happy to get you on 16 mg a day and keep you there indefinitely. It's a money making no brainer. Frankly, most of us don't need anywhere near that much! Take what you need to take to get you over those first couple of days, I found for me the bottom line was about 2 mg/day which quickly went to 1mg and now I am trying for .5/day, not even three weeks later, it CAN be done. Just don't rush it, I'm just tired of the bandwagon and so am okay suffering a bit to get it over with faster, but not so fast that I relapse, speaking of which, I barely ever think about drugs, too busy doing other stuff! Life is euphoria, drugs are fake euphoria.

For the most part, if you are on short acting pills, no methadone, no long acting stuff, you will be in detox sooner and be able to induct on the subs sooner. Like I said, my first doc visit for induction, he handed me 8mg pill, I bit in half, and one hour later felt great, which I knew I wouldn't need the full 8 after reading countless stories. There will be (as in my case) this automatic dopehead type response that will want to recreate whatever buzz you MAY get in the first few days. Be ready for it, because increasing a suboxone dose is the LAST thing you want to do, it is extreeeeemely powerful stuff whether you feel it or not. My last induction I waited 16 hours from last dose and even that was a bit long. The secret is to start off with a very small quantity, wait an hour, if you are okay and not feeling worse, take another little bit. This is usually done in the Docs office of course, but 8mg imho is WAY too much to start on, look at us all in here talking about .5 .125, .05 whatever.

I have 13 strips leftover from my last prescription in October of last year. I have no drugs, just subs. This forum is valuable to get that "now what do I do" part dealt with.

There is no good time to stop, nothing perfect unless you are in jail. Best to do it while you have a bit of control rather than when you have NONE. (like when your script runs out or whatever). Take your life back, there's nothing but good stuff on the other side. :)

And subs take about an hour to get the full effect, so there's this tendency to freak out at first, when after 30 min you feel nothing happening. My experience and others has been about an hour fyi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wanted to temper my comments just a bit, it's natural to extapolate one's personal experience into someone else's situation.

I'll amend to state that I have done what is best for me. I have just awful side effects from higher sub doses, and have found for me, less is more. I never have, and never will believe every word out of a Dr's mouth like some, ergo my sub doc had the next 9 month$ ekked out for me, nobody fits into a rigid timetable with nary a waver. With just a few q's at our first appt, I could tell he was one to blindly repeat pharmaceutical literature, and had zero addiction experience. He has since desisted doing suboxone btw, good, we need qualified, informed Drs, not pharm reps.

Which leads to the thought, that besides the obvious reasons, it is good to keep in mind what your goals are in this, before starting. Get off all opiates completely? Including subs?
Or do you have the resources, and the thought to continue indefinitely, with an eye to pain management etc.?

There are arguments to short term, and arguments for long term detox and everything including banana peels in between.

My comments (for the record), are for me. Your situation of course is different, and as such there is a need to tell you that there is no right/wrong way of doing things here. You'll have to figure out where you want to go, and the best way to get there, but being here and reading a full range of experiences from across the spectrum is a GREAT start!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lots of good advice here..I hope that IF the OP can't take anything from it that someone does find some helpful advice or it leads someone to clean their lives up.