It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New dude
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum and decided to sign up after reading through a few threads. I'm currently taking suboxone and glad to find a community of others like me.

I went through more than a decade of pure hell with my addiction. Suboxone has helped me overcome that now. I don't know how long you're supposed to be on suboxone, but it has really changed my life. So I'm a little worried about coming off of it.

I'm a single parent, and finally a good one. I'm a writer. And I've actually published a short book about addiction. I feel like a completely different person, like I'm back to the person I was before.

So anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I'm sure I'll be commenting a lot in other areas.

Post subject: Re: New dude
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:51 pm 

Welcome Bam :)

Glad u found the forum, I have gotten tons of support here & I'm sure u will too. I'm also a single mother and really put my title of being a mother through the test during active addiction. Suboxone saved my life and now I can proudly say I'm a dang good Mom :) Awesome on writing a book about addiction, I've always wanted to do that. U really realize what a good mom u can be in recovery. My son just had another birthday, and I was able to get him exactly what he asked for....trust me he didn't hold bk either lol. Got me thinking how 3 yrs ago I depended on my parents to help with birthdays, and I know without this medication I wouldn't be where I am right now! Ok sorry I'm rambling.... just feeling blessed today and so happy to see yet another person who feels this way also. Again, glad ur here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thought I'd chime in...

I'm happy for both of you, for seeing through the clutter about treatment options. If you haven't read it yet, be sure to check out the articles called 'dying to be free'. Here is the link: http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/dying-to-be-free-heroin-treatment

It explains why there is need for buprenorphine treatment, and describes the issues that stand in the way of greater use of the medication.

I find that people do well if they are just left on the medication as long as they want to be. For some, that will be most of their lives. Some people get to a point, after several years, where they just feel ready to stop. Those people do better, from what I see, than the people who are immediately focused on tapering (or who have a doctor who is focused on tapering).

There are a few major threats to buprenorphine treatment out there, such as bans on plain buprenorphine that make the medication very expensive for people who don't have insurance. Ohio is leading the way in promoting bad policy, and hopefully the ignorance won't spread to other states.

Just venting a bit.. hope you both are having a nice weekend!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hate to reply this late, but I've been busy as we all are.

First, Jennjenn, I wanna say that I've had all those exact same feelings. And I know exactly what you mean about finally being able to provide for your kids. I was always physically with my son, but not much more than that.

Now, suboxdoc, what can we do to help the situation? I've always been a little worried about things like that, and I don't mind being vocal about my history and what this treatment has done for me and everyone around me (my son, mom, dad, siblings, etc)

Please let me know, if you can, where I can go, or what I can do to help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that the best approach is to educate the people who have power to control the treatment options. If you read a misleading article in the paper, consider responding to it, even anonymously. Politicians tend to react to words like 'diversion' more than they do to the success stories... so consider sharing your story with a local politician. Every time I have a chance to speak to a politician, DA, parole officer, or newspaper columnist, I try to engage the person in a story about buprenorphine. There is so much misinformation out there... many of the things that people believe can be countered very easily. People are shocked when I provide the numbers about deaths from buprenorphine, for example.... i.e. 40 deaths per year in people with buprenorphine in the bloodstream, compared to 35,000 deaths from overdose overall.