It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: new doctor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey...

after a good deal of thinking and observing i've decided to stay on suboxone long term. my doctor is inching me off of it and has commented many times that some of his patients "have been on it for much too long". he also knows squat about addiction, and the office visits are rushed and uncomfortable. the nurses there treat us all like common lowlives. and i feel as though now i just don't have to put up with it any more.

is there anything special i have to do in order to switch doctors? i pay cash for my visits. do i have to have any special information or anything for either doctor?

just wondering.

thanks
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know why you would have to have any special info for a new doctor. I would call around and explain your situation and see what the other doctors say. If you want to be on maintenance long(er)-term, then tell them that so you don't end up in this situation again.

I switched doctors because I started off in a study and then moved to regular treatment and the only thing different was I didn't have to go thru the induction process cause I'd already been thru it.

If your new doctor wants your records from the old doctor usually they have a form you fill out and they have the file sent over.

Good luck.

PS - I agree that you need a new doctor. You don't deserve to be treated like a lowlife. That sucks.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you John I really hope you find a doc whos staff will treat you like a human being. The woman who runs my docs office is a recovering addict herself so I've had a really great experience there. It really makes paying people easier when you feel like they actually earned/deserve it :lol: Anyways good man

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:52 pm 
JP - I went from a having a HORRIBLE doctor, to relapsing, then to finding a REALLY nice doctor. It makes all the difference. When you're talking to your potential new doctors office, I maybe wouldn't tell them how you feel about your current doctor...they might see you as a "difficult patient". Ya know what I mean?

Good luck! Go find a GOOD doctor!

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think we need to talk the doc (junig) into hosting some sort of doctor meeting, and maybe he can get them to agree on treatment strategies you know?

I'd say call around and just ask what their treatment plan is, and see if they will just maintain you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think there are a lot of doctors who could use a few meetings of Douchebags Anonymous :P

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:49 pm 
My first Suboxone doctor was a MAJOR douchebag. I paid $150 bucks each visit to listen to him talk about himself, then when I would talk , he would always respond in a condescending manner. It was a lot of fun. He also had me at 32 mg for about 7 months.

I have a really good doctor now. If anyone in the Portland, OR area would like info on this doctor, please send me a message.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OxyPatrick wrote:
My first Suboxone doctor was a MAJOR douchebag. I paid $150 bucks each visit to listen to him talk about himself, then when I would talk , he would always respond in a condescending manner. It was a lot of fun. He also had me at 32 mg for about 7 months.

I have a really good doctor now. If anyone in the Portland, OR area would like info on this doctor, please send me a message.

Patrick

Hey,

Talk about himself? What would he say?

My induction doc way back was a bitch. I thought she really shouldn't be a sub doctor. She gave me a script for 3 2mg pills and said "you probably won't come back. most of you f---ing junkies don't anyway after you get your pills". I did come back and she said "wow, I'm amazed you came back". Wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I read that 'my doctor has a beautiful office with a woods out back and a nice manager, but he is a bald dickhead', THEN I have problems!

I have thought about putting a part of the forum aside for docs, but I didn't want to divide things like that. Just so people know, I talked awhile back about meeting with 70 docs in Chicago, about 'best practices' with Suboxone-- last week I sent letters to every one of them, telling them about the forum and asking them to come and contribute. We'll see what happens!

There are a number of chances for the docs to talk to each other; there is a mentoring system set up where any new docs are given a mentor to help them with questions, problems, etc. There is also, of course, that course to get certified. But in the course, they say clearly that the top dose needed, so I never know what to make of the docs who prescribe more. As I have mentioned, at very high doses it just becomes a total antagonist, so the person would get more and more withdrawal beyond that point.

I don't know-- I will give some though to the 'doctors section'. If it was set up so 'non-docs' could read but cound'nt post, would people get pissed off?

Jeff J

Post subject: docs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i would certainly be supportive of ANY medium for doctors to talk to eachother if it means better and more consistant treatment for us.

i guess the thing that turned me off first about my doctor was that one day while i was waiting for him i overheard the nurse on the phone with someone say: "No today isn't a good day to come in. Today is the day we treat all the special people. Ha HA. you know, like... reaaallll special people" in a way too sarcastic way.

i guess ideally if i could find a doc who knew SOMETHING about addiction. mine knows squat.

so far i spoke to one doctor today. he just rattled off his "policies" and charges, which were more than what i'm paying now, plus an unnecessary induction fee, and when i asked if he was well versed in addiction he told me to call him back when i get a summary from the doctor, my pill bottle, and my ID. garbage.

or as they say in france : "Gar baahj"

gnite
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, I used to read this fourm (actually it was more like a listserv thingy) that was for OBGYNs and OH MY GOD THEY WERE SO AWFUL AND OBNOXIOUS!

I don't know if it's something particular to that speicalty, but they said the most terrible things about the mothers that they "cared" for. Like just making fun of their birth plans, saying that they just need to shut up and lay down and get an epidural, talking about how much they disliked women who wanted natural childbirth because it messed up their schedules. And it just went on and on. The only ones who stuck up for their patients were the midwives.

So, that was totally off topic, but let me try to tie it in. I agree with jp that anything that gets doctors together to talk about Sub treatment is good. But I would hope that it would be more in the spirit of being able to help patients better than just venting about how much we suck. I don't think you can control that in any way, I'm just saying.

It would also be good if more doctors read the patient boards. I've heard too many stories, on line and in real life, where a patient tells their doctor that they're having some side effect from the Sub and the doctor is like: Sub doesn't cause that side effect.

O RLY!

Now this is in no way exclusive to Sub doctors. My daughter's pediatrician told us that the fact that our kid got the runs every time she got her shot was just a "coincidence" and was not caused by the shots. Well once I might have believed it, but five times, I think not. He just didn't want to deal with reporting an adverse reaction. It wasn't in his list of side effects so he just said we were imagining things. So I fired him.

This is a common thread with some doctors. They just won't listen. It's crazymaking. I brought my sub doc all this info about low-dose naltrexone, which I'd like to try when I'm done with Subs and he's just like Whatever Lady, I'm Way Too Busy To Care, Next! And he's actually a very nice guy and has been very responsive and seemingly honest with me about Sub. He's just like take it to your primary care doctor cause it's outside my realm. Sigh.

So this is basically a pointless rant and I guess what I'm trying to say is: Bring on those doctors and I'll tell em what's up!

:P

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxdoc wrote:
If I read that 'my doctor has a beautiful office with a woods out back and a nice manager, but he is a bald dickhead', THEN I have problems!

I have thought about putting a part of the forum aside for docs, but I didn't want to divide things like that. Just so people know, I talked awhile back about meeting with 70 docs in Chicago, about 'best practices' with Suboxone-- last week I sent letters to every one of them, telling them about the forum and asking them to come and contribute. We'll see what happens!

There are a number of chances for the docs to talk to each other; there is a mentoring system set up where any new docs are given a mentor to help them with questions, problems, etc. There is also, of course, that course to get certified. But in the course, they say clearly that the top dose needed, so I never know what to make of the docs who prescribe more. As I have mentioned, at very high doses it just becomes a total antagonist, so the person would get more and more withdrawal beyond that point.

I don't know-- I will give some though to the 'doctors section'. If it was set up so 'non-docs' could read but cound'nt post, would people get pissed off?

Jeff J

There'd be someone out there that would get upset about it, but generally I think most of the regulars here would find that fascinating.

You could just set up another forum on your practice site intended for that purpose as well if you wanted to, then feed the posts into this forum (like the news feeds are currently set up). Maybe other doctors would feel less intimidated that way you know? They may be more comfortable in a colleague-only environment you know?

And wouldn't you know it, I know a computer whiz that could get all that set up for ya! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Heck, I think there's a need for more ways to educate doctors about successfull Sub treatment just from some of the horror stories we've read here. Lol one story I recall reading some poor guy's doctor had him taking like over 50mgs of bupe at induction :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: How in the world is that guy even practicing medicine (assuming the story is true)? I mean it clearly shows he has no idea how bupe works and how can someone be prescribing something that they don't even have a basic understanding of? I'm not getting down on doctors I've had several really excellent ones and I have no doubt the bad ones are the exception rather than the rule but if even some of these stories are true then I'm really scared about whats going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hear you, DQ-- I teach med students, and they are nice, empathic, and bright people... they are still 'nice' as residents, but you can see the changes starting... an attitude of us vs them toward the patients. By the time they are in practice many have become defensive and resentful. Part of the problem is the intensity of the education-- the workload is truly unlike anything else save perhaps the military. Laws were passed 'limiting' resident work hours-- to 80 hours per week! The old-timers fought the changes, claiming that there was no way to learn medicine if you only spend 80 hours per week over a 4-8 year residency! Then the bills... most students at the school where I teach owe over $150K by graduation. I don't mean to be too supportive of them, as they do become #$%@@ at times....

Oops, I have a patient-- better go...

Post subject: new doctor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so..

i have an appointment with my new doc tomorrow evening.
for some reason i feel a little nervous and even maybe ashamedly a bit guilty too for saying byebye to the old one. and a bit apprehensive because "what if the new one is no good"?

i spent a half hour or so on the phone with the new guy, and asked him some things. then he said "i don't know what your current doctor thinks but i think "describing disease model of opiate addiction"". so that was good stuff.

i almost think my old doc thought of suboxone as a "drug for a drug" and should get off of it ASAP. when i told him i heard that suboxone would be going generic in october he told me "you'll be off of it by then, though."

so all in all, thanks for the kind words and support. the way i'm used to being treated had me thinking i was hired by the doctor instead of the other way around. thanks again. update on new guy to follow tomorrow.

hugs
jp

Post subject: Dr. Treated Me Like H$$$
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The Dr. I went to treated me like I was low life SCUM. Only talked and wouldn't let me say anything, if I did talk he talked down to me. Do these drs. not know addiction is an illness, just like other illness?
I was out of town and called him. I was in a good mood and said "Hello Mr. Cobb"....His reply was "I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND,DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE I AM". I am a very quite and senitive person. So I quit Suboxone at 18mgs. 12 days into detox and it is HELL...NEVER TRY TO COME OFf :( WITHOUT COMMING DOWN SLOWLEY. I FEEL THE PAIN WILL NEVER END!! :(

Post subject: about new doctrs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In response to the posts about should you find a new doctor,I totally agree with everything that has been said! As I have mentioned before in other posts, I once had a doc who obviously was just in it for the money,cuz you never saw him. You would just go to his office and pay $40.00 and get your script for seven 8mg pills! But the doc I see now is actually a regular "family doctor"(can't think of the correct term-sorry). I actually go into his office and see him,talk to him, and he asks how I'm doin,you know everything that a real doctor should do! Also, now I'm not an expert or anything, so please correct me if I'm wrong,but shouldn't a doctor that is allowed to prescribe suboxone know a thing or 2 (or more!)about addiction in the first place? Just wondering! :)