It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Doctor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Heading in to hopefully get a new Zubsolv doctor tomorrow. I was asked to bring my current medications with me which is going to involve presenting an empty box because I ran out very early this time. I've posted about my dose in another thread, but to be clear, I'm currently--and have always been--prescribed two 1.4mg Zubsolv. As an addict, I was consuming around 250mg of hydrocodone daily. At least until my fill ran out and then it was absurd amounts of kratom. Never ended up on thmy Silk Road, but I did look into it. Anyway, if there is any advice anyone has on how to present myself and my problem, what I should or shouldn't say, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New Doctor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 pm 

I think that starting with a new doctor is like having a clean slate. I encourage you to be honest about any troubles you've had, your fears and expectations. I would definitely ask what happens if you slip at all or run out of meds early. And ask if he is flexible with how long you can be on maintenance.

I hope your appointment goes well!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Grove.

Agree with Amy. Clean slate. Be sincere and honest. If he doesn't bring up the fact that you
were likely under medicated, you should. Stress that you continued to have cravings which almost
by definition means you weren't getting enough bupe.

In other words, not really your fault!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Godfrey & Amy,

Thank you both again. A clean slate, I believe, is my most compelling reason for switching doctors at this point. I do need a change of scenery, because my behavior has become absolutely identical to how I acted as a Norco addict. Right down to the office I visit for refills. I think that bupe is intrinsically different than painkillers, in that switching doctors as I'm doing could and probably would be construed as doctor shopping on the pain pill market, but I'm banking on the hope that recovery plays by a different set of rules. I'm bringing my empty box and hopefully a copy of my MRIs this afternoon and getting things started upscaled and refreshed. I'll keep everyone posted as to what happens. I went ahead and wrote out the seventeen year timeline of my addiction and bipolar disorder issues (only a brief two pages) should that aid me in my cause or help me not to forget anything once the doc starts talking. Thank you both again. You've been tremendously supportive and kind!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good luck with the new Dr hun. I too think your taking a huge step in the right direction by getting the new Dr. I can't wait to hear about how the visit went. Recovery is serious business. You got this!! Sincerely Bamagirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you, Bamagirl! I don't want your helpful contributions to go unnoticed. I'll take and greatly appreciate all the support I can get!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:04 pm 

When is your appointment today? I really want to hear what the new doctor said. Are you feeling better with this doc? How strict does he/she seem?

We care about how you're doing, Grove. So please keep us updated!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

wishing you the best. how did it go?
i mentioned switching drs to my therapist, she recommended doing a transfer where they send all my current records to the new place.
i want to switch if someone will take my insurance instead of a cash only place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all!

The new doctor worked out well. He was very surprised by how low my dose was, considering my previous usage of Norco (averaged 180-250mg of hydrocodone daily), and put me on 8mg strips of Suboxone. So, it's a drug change from Zubsolv. Only issue occurred at the pharmacy as Suboxone is not covered by my insurance without prior authorization, and as it was 5PM and the doctor was closing as I was leaving, I was in no position to obtain such a thing. Fortunately, I'm on good terms with my pharmacist and he worked things out so I could buy 7 strips today and to tide me over until the PA goes over or doesn't. At which point we'll revise strategy. I've left the strips in the medicine cabinet where my wife has visibility. She doesn't want to dole my doses out, nor do I want her to have to do that, but she can see absolutely whether I have meds or not. Also, the new doc drug tests monthly. The old one, well...After almost five years of monthly visits, I can tell you that I was only drug tested two--yes, that's right I said two (2)--times. Which is wonderful for the actively addicted, but an obstacle to progress and recovery for the rest of us. Anyway, hoping this will still have a happy ending of some kind. My wife is still on the fence about whether or not she wants my last name on her tombstone, so, we'll see. But thank you all for your tremendous support and encouraging advice! I hope to return the favor!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i'm happy the new dr. worked out for you. yes, drug tests keep us honest!
good luck with the PA.

grovelist wrote:
My wife is still on the fence about whether or not she wants my last name on her tombstone, so, we'll see.

wait, what??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 pm 

I really hope that as your wife sees the stability that a proper maintenance can provide, she will come around and be more supportive. You deserve to be supported in your recovery.

Here's wishing that your PA will go through without a hitch! Insurance companies can be so very difficult to work with. In my experience, they will wait to help you until you are literally crying over the phone to them!!! So I wish you a much better experience in that regard.

Keep us posted about how you are feeling on the new dose and how the switch to the strips goes!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Sistermorphine and Amy!

All of the chances I've had with my wife, I don't know if I deserve or will get another, at least not yet. It's been running pretty hot and cold lately, but we've been together ten years, so it's hard to drop the old terms of endearment and day to day niceties. We had a good talk today. I won't go so far as to say it was a "nice" talk, but it started on the edgy side and warmed up a bit in the end. We're still sleeping in the same bed and have been, but the day will commence as though nothing has happened and then, BAM! Out of nowhere, the hurt surfaces and it's about as cheerful as a funeral around here, as contentious as a Trump rally. I don't fight unless it becomes completely egocentric. My wife was blessed with a "normie" brain, as it were, so while she can understand addiction academically, experiential knowledge will never be hers. Thank God for that, but at the same time, explaining to her that there was no malice in my actions, no vendetta or grudge, it doesn't change the hurt I've caused her, which as an addict who has never been betrayed by his significant other, I can only imagine.

As for the PA, I'm expecting good things. Worst case, I just spent a bit more than I'd planned on a small amount of Suboxone and I'll be back on with a higher dose of Zubsolv. I feel every confidence now that I made the right move and got the right doctor. I have a procedure in two weeks to help with my back pain, which my insurance will cover, and they also have a psychologist on staff who might be able to help me through some of my bipolar disorder issues. In preparing for today's office visit, I wrote up a timeline of my addiction and realized that my Norco days--going back four years ago--were really only the Byzantine to a Roman Empire of pill theft and alcohol abuse spanning the entirety of my adult life. Put in that scope, that my addiction predates my even meeting my wife, and is/was largely responsible for my ever meeting her in the first place.

Got a little wordy here. I'll go ahead and sign off. When I'm feeling wordy again though I might post my epic tale in the addiction stories thread. It's not terribly interesting, but it's mine just the same. Thank you all again!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, apparently my insurance company is deeply in bed with the manufacturer of Zubsolv. The new doctor was insistent on prescribing me Suboxone, and I bought a week supply with cash (and a coupon) while I waited for the PA to go through, which, as one might have guessed from my opening statement, just didn't happen. So the new doc has prescribed me on two 5.7/1.4 tablets of Zubsolv daily, which I'm thankful for. I've been taking Suboxone the last three days and have four left. It's amazing what a difference the higher dose is making, mostly to my thinking process. It's nailing the cravings in a way I haven't known at any stage in my treatment. When I was on the 1.4/.36 tabs there was always that urge to just take one more, and one more and so on and I'm not feeling that at all. I feel like I'm at a place where I can meet life head on and not focus on how soon I'm going to run out and what lie I'm going to have to tell to get more early.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
It's nailing the cravings in a way I haven't known at any stage in my treatment.

Welcome to the amazing world of buprenorphine. If you stay on this drug your life is going to change...in a good way. Inside of a month your addict days will begin to seem far away. Insofar
as your cravings for drugs, you're going to know a peace you never thought possible. I'm sorry you
got such rotten medical care previously, but that's in the past now.

This is on you. You made this happen. You made all the right decisions. Keep hanging out at the forum.
Soon you'll be in a position to help other suffering addicts. In fact you've already got valuable
experiences you can pass on.

Way to go, our new friend grove!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:36 pm 

grovelist wrote:
Well, apparently my insurance company is deeply in bed with the manufacturer of Zubsolv. The new doctor was insistent on prescribing me Suboxone, and I bought a week supply with cash (and a coupon) while I waited for the PA to go through, which, as one might have guessed from my opening statement, just didn't happen. So the new doc has prescribed me on two 5.7/1.4 tablets of Zubsolv daily, which I'm thankful for. I've been taking Suboxone the last three days and have four left. It's amazing what a difference the higher dose is making, mostly to my thinking process. It's nailing the cravings in a way I haven't known at any stage in my treatment. When I was on the 1.4/.36 tabs there was always that urge to just take one more, and one more and so on and I'm not feeling that at all. I feel like I'm at a place where I can meet life head on and not focus on how soon I'm going to run out and what lie I'm going to have to tell to get more early.

Do you have United Healthcare? I do and they made me change from suboxone to Zubsolv. The positive is that I prefer the Zubsolv! It tastes better and dissolves sooner. I'm glad your doctor got on board, because fighting an insurance company is like shooting ghosts. You end up talking to 17 different people who can't help you!! I had to deal with a PA on a medication this year and my insurance company tried to claim there was now a generic of the medication and I had to get a script for that. Meanwhile my doctors office and my pharmacist were both telling me that there was no generic available to anyone, anywhere! I had to get on the phone with my insurance company and cry and beg them to give me the PA, and they finally did. Then they acted like this was just a simple misunderstanding on my part. ARRRGGG!! They might as well be Lucy with a football!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Amy,

Yeah, I do have UHC. I told the doc up front that my insurance would only cover Zubsolv and he couldn't believe it. So much so that he insisted on Suboxone (he says it works better, I have a hard time telling the difference apart from flavor) and getting a PA, which was ultimately denied. I paid cash for seven strips of the Sub, and when the doc gave up on the PA he prorated the dose with the Zubsolv. It all worked out in the end, but my wife and I have had similar troubles with some of her medications. It's all indicative of the broken system that both makes addicts and murder victims of us by giving us easy access to something dangerous then denying access to things that keep life from being dangerous.