It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: A New Career Path
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

First off I'd like to start off by saying I know my posts have been all over the place the last week or so and I apologize for it. I'm very happy with the choices I have made recently, but some days are harder than others. I think maybe I should refrain from posting when I'm having a not so great day.
I have found out recently that unless attitudes change I might not be able to continue on my chosen career of healthcare. I'm currently a nurse aide who absolutly loves her job. I work in a nursing home and it's been the bright spot in my life that I can look at and see that I have made a difference in somebodies life even when mine has been such a mess. When I was younger psychology was my passion, but then I couldn't handle the responsibility of college. I dropped out and got married, had some kids, got divorced, blah blah, ended up where I am today. I know some of you out there have returned to school to use your knowledge for good instead of evil so to speak and help those who are still stuck in the cycle of addiction. I am wondering if maybe I might decide to do the same. I would still get to help people and I know my area needs more well my area needs more everything. I was also wondering if maybe some of you might have some advice on where to start looking into this at.....job titles, majors in school, that kind of stuff. There are so many stereotypes out there about the drug addict. And what people usually think of us is not at all what we really are, so I think it will take more of us giving back and helping those who haven't found their way yet to really turn things around. Thanks alot in advance for any advice you may or may not have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am actually incollege right now to become an addiction's counselor.I just started in Feb, the degree is in Human Services, associate of applied sciences.