It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to Bupe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm 

Question : If you were in front of new people starting or begining Buprenorphine treatment, what would be some of the most important facts about this Medication?
Would you use the time to dispell misinformation, ceiling effect, "less is more", loug term maintenance? Etc..
Or...try to just explain what recovery is being on this med?

Just throwning it out there.. many many believe naloxone is the blocker for instance. ..

Razor..

Post subject: Re: New to Bupe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:21 pm 

Hey razor :)

In our meetings, when there's newcomers, we try to explain the medicine part of it and how to take it and what to expect and how it works. After that it's all about recovery on suboxone. One time not that long ago, there was a guy that had been at the clinic for a couple months. He was talking about how he was still having cravings, even after being upped in his dose. When we got to questioning him, he'd been taking his suboxone (pills not strips) just popping them in his mouth and just swallowing them! I have no idea how he overlooked that information, especially after his induction two months prior. So I think it's very easy to think newcomers have all the information but honestly they probably don't. I wish I'd found this forum when I first started sub treatment, there's so much that my Dr didn't tell me. The meetings we have now haven't always been so knowledgeable due to a previous counselor who didn't have any clue what he was talking about. Thank goodness things have changed and the meetings are much better now. Anyway I'm rambling lol have a wonderful day!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would take on the 'drug for a drug' issue, explaining why buprenorphine is different than agonists. I would provide the statistics about relapse-- and address the fact that the media has it wrong in presenting non-medicated treatment as one of the options. I would explain that for whatever reason, non-medicated treatment rarely works for opioid dependence-- and the relapsing nature of the illness calls for chronic treatment, just as so many other illnesses require chronic treatment.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:44 am 

Thank you Jenn and Suboxdoc.

I have was pleased to read these suggestions just after coming out of one of our sub support meetings. It also reassured my believe that Im on the right track .
Some of these very subjects were presented and then a question and answer began. While the group has a feel of a 12 step gathering, I stand in and pitch education toward Buprenorphine. It is a Buprenorphine clinic but it also believes peer support in local fellowships is a must.
The correct information on Buprenorphine seems secondary, but my Dr is now on board with me and thankfully has given me the ok to talk about and provide more material on all things relating to bupe treatment. Thanks for making the Users Guide easier to obtain dr j.
Im in the process of putting togather a information pack that newcomers to treatment will now receive at induction. This packet or folder will also be available to anyone on all clinic days each week.
The address to this forum ,plus the Talkzone will be in it. As will such articles as the Huffington Post s Dying to be Free .
We will be talking about these other topics you have suggested. .thanks for the input...raz...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:17 pm 

Razor that information packet sounds great! I sure wish I'd had something like that when I first started my sub induction, it would have been extremely helpful. I didn't discover this forum until a yr ago. It would have been so awesome to have found it when I first started, so including that information also is a great idea. Ur clinic is lucky to have someone like u that truly cares!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:43 pm 

razor55 wrote:
Thank you Jenn and Suboxdoc.

I have was pleased to read these suggestions just after coming out of one of our sub support meetings. It also reassured my believe that Im on the right track .
Some of these very subjects were presented and then a question and answer began. While the group has a feel of a 12 step gathering, I stand in and pitch education toward Buprenorphine. It is a Buprenorphine clinic but it also believes peer support in local fellowships is a must.
The correct information on Buprenorphine seems secondary, but my Dr is now on board with me and thankfully has given me the ok to talk about and provide more material on all things relating to bupe treatment. Thanks for making the Users Guide easier to obtain dr j.
Im in the process of putting togather a information pack that newcomers to treatment will now receive at induction. This packet or folder will also be available to anyone on all clinic days each week.
The address to this forum ,plus the Talkzone will be in it. As will such articles as the Huffington Post s Dying to be Free .
We will be talking about these other topics you have suggested. .thanks for the input...raz...

I am so happy to hear this, Razor!! Your doctor has taken his head out of the sand. Go you!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:17 pm 

They sure are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :

No, but sometimes in life the chance comes to do something worthwhile.
I found this place after 14 months on sub so the forum a d Dr J were and is a real eye opener..as you know.
Jenn, i see how you guys at your clinic may be doing things and this is what I want for our group too.
Nothing against 12 step/trad recovery, but for the last 3 years our group was almost like a na meeting. TAGS AND ALL!
Well ,let me tella, my old friends at na were Not happy about that! Me either. The staffer who started the group is an AAer who wrote up the model. It was a good group but sub talk an ed wasn't really its purpose.. but she has left and now its more of a mix..but thanks for your help and encouragement. ....raz

Oh and Amy, it has gotten better all around if ya know what I mean..thanks again A....