It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm a regular reader of a blog about medication assisted treatment of opioid addiction written by a doctor named Jana Burson. reading her blog this morning I came across her latest entry about a new delivery system for bupe called bunavail, which to me, sounds very promising and convenient to boot, and wanted to share it with my fellow bupers. it's basically a system that will adhere to the inside if the cheek and deliver the prescribed dose of bupe through the oral mucosa and stay in place without the hassle of not being able to speak or swallow while dosing, and supposedly giving the same blood level of buprenorphine with less mgs per dose, due to much higher bio availability. I, like many I'm sure am hopeful about this new product and am hoping that it will be affordable, although I've heard or read anything about what the price will be yet. if anyone else has heard about the cost or date it will be available, chime in here. I'm very interested to learn more about this product. here's a link to the blog entry I read, & let me know if the link works.

http://janaburson.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Lizzie, that new product you mentioned sounds exactly like the one that just got released not too long ago, but my mind is drawing a complete blank on the name of the "new Suboxone" med.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

According to what I read the name of it is Bunavail, but I can't find much other info about it other than what I read in Dr. burson's blog this morning. is there another one that's already available? maybe Dr Junig could come in on this one, since I know he stays up on all that is new and bupe?......

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMGosh I can't believe I can't remember the name of the new product. It's only 5.8mg, but delivers 8mg worth through better absorption. Several people on the forum have talked about it, but I can't remember the dang name.....GAH!!

I keep searching google, too....but nothing!! We've talked about this new one on the forum. Several members are using it. It's driving me nuts I can't remember the name!!!

ZUBSOLV!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally found it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh yea,zubsolv! :-) that is the tablet with the menthol flavor and the shortened dissolve time. I'm familiar with that one. I'm really interested in this new one that's supposed to stick to the inside of your cheek for about a half hour allowing you to talk and swallow while dosing, now that sounds convenient, doesn't it? it's been approved, but I'm not sure when it's going to be available, but I hope it's going to be affordable, cause I'd love to be first in line to give it a try. I think it'll help not only with less wasted product, but it'll help at least me to have to puteven less thought into my dosing than I do now, which is def a plus when you're talking about taking an opiate addiction med. thinking about dosing can end up being detrimental to recovery, especially when one is trying to utilize strategies that maximize absorption of the medication. it'd be great to not have to think about that anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 am 

This new product will be on rx shelves by oct.
will it be cheaper? Most likely not. But, the new system will deliver acmore potent dose with less bupe needed. Hence less side effects. More bioability less saliva.
If you all Google Bunavail, or go to the NABBT site, you will find plenty of info there. Thanks Lizz fo4 the Berson site . Bn reading some there the last few months. Raz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GAH, I can't call you Dizzie Lizzie anymore because I'm the one who's dizzy. I got Zubsolv and Bunavail mixed up!! A while back a fella came on the forum asking for people to participate in a survey relating to a new form of buprenorphine. I participated in the survey and ended up doing several phone "interviews" with the company who is developing Bunavail. All this was happening right as Zubsolv hit the market and I got them mixed up.

BTW, during my phone interviews, I mentioned several times how the price point was going to be very important to the success of their product. They knew other formulations were hitting the market soon and they seemed to be aware of the need to compete with generics and the new formulations. I sure hope they price it good. Everyone I spoke to at this company seemed genuinely interested in helping opiate addicts. They asked many, many questions about addiction, harm reduction, ORT and they all just seemed very well informed and caring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hahaha! I don't mind being called dizzy Lizzie, it's kinda catchy, LOL. I have brain farts too dude, like all the time! I'm so excited about the new product and if the price is right... sign me up dude! that's cool you talked to people from the actual company and they seemed to care about the addicts they'll be helping and not just their bottom line, I'm VERY encouraged Romeo, thank you so much! I think any product that will take some of the ritual, or "thinking about it" part out of the dosing process will be extremely beneficial for addicts using the product, and of course if bioavailability is improved as much as their claims say it is, than that'll certainly help, like especially with people who have trouble keeping to one dose per day, or feel that they have WD symptoms and use distraction methods to extinguish those old multiple ddosing per day habits. maybe they won't feel that anymore if absorption of the drug is greatly improved? EXCELLENT! I'm really glad that more and more companies are getting on board with making products to help opioid addicts. the more options we have, the better! yay!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, it's been a long while coming, but more products are coming to market. Reckitt Benckiser had a stranglehold on the market for a long time, and I don't blame them a bit, that's how capitalism works, but now the flood gates are opening and more competition usually means lower prices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Romeo wrote:
but now the flood gates are opening and more competition usually means lower prices.

Here Here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all, new to this forum. On Bunavail. Discovered this forum while trying to find more info about Bunavail. There are no boards/comments about it yet that I can find because it was just in pharmacies in Nov. I was prescribed it yesterday for the first time. I have tried Subuxone, Zubsolv, and now this. I preferred Zubsolv over Subuxone (for some reason, Subuxone made me feel awful). Anyhow, the new drug is interesting. It took me a few times to get it right. Though it does adhere to the cheek, it is a tad uncomfortable at first because though they say you can talk, etc., you can't help but feel it will come off (it does not, but I'd rather limit cheek/jaw movement now anyway since I'm new to it). There are two sides to it, the side that adheres, and a "backing" that keeps the drug going into the cheek. The backing is was got me at first: it does not dissolve quickly. There is a filmy feeling for at least 20-30 minutes that you don't know whether to spit out or swallow. You want to spit it out or swallow it cause it feels slimy, and you want to drink something after 20 or so minutes. So I've done both. The instructions do not address this, or let you know that this filminess is normal for more time than what we are used to and to leave it alone. Tonight I decided to just leave it there, no spitting/swallowing, no messing with it, and of course, no drinking water or eating anything. There was a marked difference in effectiveness when I just left it there. Definitely more effective. Since this is only my second day, I hesitate to say whether it's better or worse than the others. I'll keep you updated if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance for reading and/or any comments. I welcome any questions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Baloo13! Welcome to the forum!
So how much does the Bunavail cost? Does insurance cover it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm very interested in trying this new version of buprenorphine, please keep us updated on how you feel it works in comparison to the others. Also I'm a cash paying patient, so although I hate to be nosy, I am curious about the price.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:48 pm 

Like many people on bupe and paying out of pocket, cost would be the oonly reason
for me to switch or try.
Other than taste, i see all these products as the same.
I was just looking into Zubslov today because of there 225 dollar co pay program. I cant
ignore this ffact any louger. I like the films, but feel after 4 years and dose reductions
that I am wasting money.
To the op, if you are not on ins, i would be interested in cost per unit. ..

My Dr and subutex dont mix and its a shame...With 1.6 billion in sales in the U S alone, its
no wonder others want in..

"Less filling, tastes great".....

Raz..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All- Thanks for your questions. I am too a cash patient. Bunavail has a voucher card that allows for the first 14 free, then additional cost saving benefits associated with it: the second 14 is $50 off, which my pharmacy stated would then cost me roughly $54.00 for the second fill. After that, the medication is $9.40/film (yikes) However, the supposed benefit of Bunavail is that the dose of bupe is half that of the suboxone one would normally take, but the bio-availability difference makes it as effective as the 8mg. I would have to agree that that the roughly 4mg in Bunavail was as effective for me as the 8mg of subuxone. Others may disagree. We are all different in how we metabolize medication, etc. The benefit of the lower dose is that you will detox faster than if you were on subuxone. That's the idea anyway. In my case, doctor is trying 4 weeks. I am his first patient to try it. So in turn, you would save money on the meds with a faster detox, and with the savings up front the first two weeks, you would only pay in full for 2 weeks or so. All of this sounds great, but in practice may be different. I will definitely keep you posted. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:52 pm 

Thank you Baloo,
Hope to here more on how this detox gos for you.
You make good points on the bioability.
This product would be on the highend for maintenance ..

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Good Morning,

I too am on Bunavail. I've recently been switched to it from Suboxone. Like Baloo mentioned, it's a 4.2mg/.7mg preparation, basically same as Suboxone, but it's the delivery system that differs. I won't re-iterate what he's already said as it's accurate. I have insurance, Aetna, and yes, it IS covered, although I had the option of using the discount card as well. For me, insurance is a better (cheaper) option.

As far as comparing it to Suboxone, yes, even though it is about half the amount, it is I'd say nearly as effective. The taste (pleasant citrus) is noticeably better. Suboxone gives me a somewhat nauseous feeling due to taste. I DO notice the fact that I've lowered my bupe dosage, but not to an intolerable degree. For me, this is now 4 days, being on it. There are times, especially in mornngs, or during periods of high stress, that you feel the "difference" between Bunavail 4.2mg and Suboxone 8mg. However, I haven't tried splitting the film in half as you can do with Suboxone. Not sure if it would negatively impact it or not. Also, overall the dosage still is as effective as the 8mg Suboxone.

Like Baloo, the backing portion stays in cheek for a while, 20-30 mins. Also, after it dissolves, little "bits" of the film separate and become loose iin my mouth. I've swallowed these when that occurs. I'll raise these observations with Dr. when I see him again as well. I just figured I'd post here as I do have some experience with this medication in case others are wondering.

Last thing, and it IS important, more for your Dr. than a patient. Please make sure they understand this, or it WILL impact you being able to receive your prescription. The DEA has additional regulations on Bunavail, they will not allow a pharmacy to DISPENSE ANY LESS or ANY MORE than 1 BOX (28 films) at a time. This is NOT a pharmacy regulation, it is DEA. I'm from New York, but I believe this is a federal regulation. My Dr. was also unaware initially. So, if you are prescribed this new medication, please make sure that your Dr. confers with the pharmacy you intend to use. Verify that the script is written correctly (They're very picky about that also) and also know that most pharmacies will NOT have it in stock, there's usually appx. 1 day wait for them to order it. Hopefully this information helps someone. I am NOT a Dr., however if there are questions I can answer, I'll do so.

Good luck to all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 am 

Thank you for your experience with this new product.
Alot of buzz over this. Very informative. .

Razor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm, I would be interested in this product if it weren't for the fact that it sounds like it will be next to impossible to taper with it.

I'm curious to know if it's possible to cut the film (or whatever it is) into smaller pieces without effecting the way it performs. Also, I wonder if it comes in any other strengths. Something similar to the suboxone 2mg strip maybe? Seems like this will be great for maintenance patients though. Either way, it's definitely good to see that other companies are interested in marketing new formulations of bupe.

I would love to see more posts from anyone who has experience with this product!

Q

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

According to the manufacturer representative,

The medication is evenly distributed, she said that yes, you CAN cut the strips into smaller dosages. I have not yet done this, although may, such as half in morning, half in evening. However, apparently it is similar to Suboxone in that you CAN cut the films.