It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Last thing, and it IS important, more for your Dr. than a patient. Please make sure they understand this, or it WILL impact you being able to receive your prescription. The DEA has additional regulations on Bunavail, they will not allow a pharmacy to DISPENSE ANY LESS or ANY MORE than 1 BOX (28 films) at a time. This is NOT a pharmacy regulation, it is DEA. I'm from New York, but I believe this is a federal regulation. My Dr. was also unaware initially. So, if you are prescribed this new medication, please make sure that your Dr. confers with the pharmacy you intend to use. Verify that the script is written correctly (They're very picky about that also) and also know that most pharmacies will NOT have it in stock, there's usually appx. 1 day wait for them to order it. Hopefully this information helps someone. I am NOT a Dr., however if there are questions I can answer, I'll do so.

I have yet to be detailed on this drug yet but this is odd. It comes in boxes of 30, do they take 2 out? It also goes against the DATA 2000 act where they recommend weekly visits and prescriptions initially. I had not heard of any requirement of exactly 28 (1 box) requirement. The DEA has not gotten involved in specific instructions before with other products. It is not in our pharmacies in this area yet, so good advice to confirm that that pharmacy has it or is willing to get it in a timely fashion so there is no break in treatment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I can not speak to that. I can only relate my own experience, and for what it's worth, this is in New York, Walgreens pharmacy. The first time my Dr. prescribed a partial amount (7) and the pharmacy was unable to fill the prescription due to the DEA regulations (so they cited). After this, the next time my Dr. wrote a prescription, he started to write it for 30, his receptionist reminded him about "28" so maybe that IS the amount per box for this medication? I'm not sure. Also, when I received the films, I received them in a bag, not a "box" at all. So while I'm NOT discounting what you said, I can only relate my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Fiery,
I am not disputing at all what you are describing. There have been several threads here that when a pharmacy or doctor wants to make a change or hassle their patients they blame the DEA. I am not an apologist for the DEA and dread the day when the Jack Boots show up for an audit, but they do not get that involved. The DEA is federal and would not write new rules that would affect only New York.
Another federal agency SAMSHA, wrote the recommendations regarding prescribing. They have not changed their stance that we should be writing weekly scripts for the first month. Some of the big chains (Walgreen's, CVS, Walmart) have a history of making up things as they go.
PAX

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started Bunavail this week.

I have insurance, but with the drug card (manfter) my 1st month was FREE & supposedly only $10.00/month to follow.

I'm on the 4.2 & it does hang out inside ur cheek for up to an hour. Kinda annoying. But my main reason for switching is hoping the extremely low Naloxone dose will not effect me as bad as Sub strips.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Bunavail is horrible. It taste 10 times better than subs but the way they go on cheek is terrible! After about 10 minutes it's like a gum stuck all over you teeth. If sub had the same flavor as bunavail they would perfect. The bunavails also give you a debilitating headache. They take about an hour or more to completely dissolve. I used them for 4 days and switched back to sub.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am also on Bunanvail, I am paying cash for it. There in a manufacturer coupon giving you the first 14 days free up to 28 films. After that they discount each 6.3mg film $4.50, the lower doses $2.50.

I was on 6mg of Suboxone so the Doctor wrote it for the 6.3mg Bunavial, I then cut them in half as 3.05mg is equivalent to 6mg Suboxone. It works great for me and they are correct in the dosing instructions. It holds me well.

From The Discount Card:
Patients will receive up to a 14-day supply (28 films maximum) at no cost for their first use.
Patients may save up to $270 off each month.
This card covers $2.50 off per individual 2.1 and 4.2 mg film (up to 90 films or $225 per month), and $4.50 off per individual 6.3 mg film (up to 60 films or $270 per month).
Multiple fills are allowed each month up to maximums listed.

Link to Discount Card:
https://webrebate.trialcard.com/coupon/bunavailportal/

It adheres to the cheek strongly and has a backing on it that makes sure no or very little Bup. goes down your throat. At my Mom & Pop pharmacy it costs about $9 bucks before the discount per film. So it is about half the cost of an 8mg Suboxone film. I like that I can talk and even swallow water if I wanted, although I tend not to. I would suggest it to anybody on Suboxone or similar preparations.

I would also note that for now, the discount card has no expiration date.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 pm 

HPchris,

Thank you so much for all this information and experience with this new product. I had no idea of the savings
I pay of of pocket and onca fairly low dose. I have clinic tomarrow and will be talking go my dr about this. Thanks for the links too...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor55 wrote:
HPchris,

Thank you so much for all this information and experience with this new product. I had no idea of the savings
I pay of of pocket and onca fairly low dose. I have clinic tomarrow and will be talking go my dr about this. Thanks for the links too...

You are welcome. The savings after discount drops the 6.3mg film to 4.50-5.00 each at my pharmacy, I then cut the film in half daily so I have dropped my out of pocket from 350 dollars a month to 90-100 a month. Even if the discount card expires eventually even at $9.00 a film it still will cost me $4.50 a day compared to Sub films in Michigan costing 10-11 each, generic sub tablets 7-9 each..

What a waste of medicine Suboxone film and tablets are. 8mg dose and 70-78% of it is wasted. Short of using an alcoholic solution or plugging them Bunavail is by far hands down the winner in maximum absorption. That backing really works to keep the bup going into me instead of down the throat into the GI track and ultimate destruction of 3/4 the dose.

I also should mention that Bunavails manufacturer has also dedicated a staff to help get it covered for people under insurance.

FROM THE SITE:
Reimbursement support
Understanding insurance coverage can be time-consuming for providers and a very confusing process for patients. That’s where BUNAVAIL Reimbursement Support can help.

Support for providers and patients includes

Benefit verification
Prior authorization support
Appeal management

To speak with a BioDelivery Sciences representative call us at
1-800-469-0261

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi..I am new and am inquirring about bunavail...the new medication. I've read some info so I know a little bit about it my question is from as many people that can reply, what do you like better the new medication or suboxone? I'm going on 5 years of sobriety and as of late I've been struggling with the absorption process of suboxin and find myself sometimes in a little bit of withdrawal because I'm not getting my medication. and being an addict my mind is beginning to obsess about it and I don't like that. My doctor had mentioned this medicine to me so I'm curious as to what people think of the absorption process vs the box and process. is there anyone out there that can identify with the absorption problem suboxin can create, I could hold that medicine for a half hour and my tongue is not i their experience with bothn t a bunch of individualshe right position or something and I don't get the medicine and it's costing me a lot of money. so can I please please hear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi I just recently posted something about the new medication, a lengthy oneand used my voice activated text auctions and I didn't proofread so it's horrible, I apologize. I just need to know what people like better after they switched the suboxin or the new medicine as I have a severe problem with the absorption problem with suboxone over the past yearplease help

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to comment on "Fieryhail's" post about it being federal law that pharmacies are only allowed to fill no more/no less than ONE box. I found this particular thread through a search engine, trying to do research on Bunavail, and wanted to make sure that anyone else who may find it the same way has updated information.

The laws may have even changed since that post, and I don't know the specifics about that, but I am prescribed two full boxes every 28-days (6.3/1 mg Bunavail) without any pharmacy or insurance problems. Previously before my insurance stopped covering it, I was prescribed 1 and a half-ish boxes of Suboxone (8/2 mg).
So basically, as long as the prescription is written correctly, AND you have a knowledgeable, compassionate pharmacist, then YES, you are absolutely allowed to fill a prescription for more than a one box supply. I live in Tennessee, so of course state laws may vary individually, and you will need to discuss it with your doctor and insurance company.

I am on one other "controlled" prescription, as well as have family members that are on higher-scheduled medications, and over the course of 5 years have run into MANY instances where the pharmacy (especially Walgreens) cites laws and DEA regulations in situations that it was blatently obvious it was the pharmacist that was making up their own rules (which, unfortunately for pain management patients and bupenorphine patients alike, they are entirely allowed to do).

As for the person inquiring about comparison between Suboxone and Bunavail, I'd like to put in my 2-cents :). Please keep in mind that everyone's experience is different!

I used Suboxone occasionally during active addiction, but started it "officially" about 5 months ago. My insurance suddenly (and unbeknownst to me) stopped covering it, which forced me to pay out-of-pocket for the bupenorphine disolvable tablets for one month, and now that things are straightened out I've been on Bunavail for 2 months. The bupenorphine disolvable tablets are 100% AWFUL. They're bulky, take a LONG time to dissolve, and I'd never recommend them. Suboxone films work well, and dissolve/absorb much better, but taste really bad. I read VERY mixed reviews about Bunavail before I tried it, but for me it is superior, by FAR.
Bunavail pros:
1) It tastes the best, 2) It dissolves the quickest, 3) I feel it absorbes much, much better, 4) It controls cravings the best, 5) I don't have to hold accumulating saliva in my mouth for 20-30 minutes, paranoid about making sure it's all absorbed.
Cons:
1) After the top layer dissolves (I was told the bup is only on the top layer of the film, unlike Suboxone), it leaves a big glob of goop in your cheek, which I've read a lot of comments complaining about that. However, *I* feel that once it has dissolved to this point, I have absorbed all the medicine, and spit that gooey-glob bit out. I actually consider this a positive thing, as I look at it like an alert system. 2) The route of absorption is different, so the dosage is slightly different (8 mg Suboxone=4.2mg Bunavail). Again, wasn't really a negative for me, but I can see how it may lead to some anxiety when switching over. 3) Unlike Suboxone, the directions state that films cannot be cut, which also may be a problem for some patients switching over (fortunately, mine just decided to temporarily make the slight increase in my dose, from one-and-a-half 8mg Subs, to two 6.3 mg Bunavail per day).

As I said, I've read extremely mixed reviews, and sadly my clinic doctor told me I was the only one of her patients to report back this result. Personally, I think Bunavail is a wonderful medication, and believe it is a great step forward in addiction treatment. I only wish more patients shared the same positive experience with it.

Last edited by AnnaLuella on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I'm a Bunavail patient. I recently went to the doctor, finally, to get on something legally for opioid dependence. Before that I would buy suboxone on the streets in order to stay away from other opioids. Suboxone definitely worked to keep me off other crap when I could find them. So I was already familiar with suboxone. I went to the doctor already having heard about Zubsolv and had heard from a friend that they provide help with the prescription cost. At the doctor's office I learned of yet another medicine, Bunavail. With Bunavail, they have an assistance program. Long story short, my doctor prescribed me two weeks worth of Zubsolv and gave me two vouchers for 15 pills free on each, hence two weeks worth of medication free. After the two weeks, I'm prescribed Bunavail. My doctor's office applied for me to be in the Bunavail assistance program. I'm unemployed at the time, with no insurance, and the program lets me get my medication for Free! I am so thrilled and amazed that there's a program out there and people who really care about us getting better! Without the program, the medication would have cost me $256.00 at Wal-Mart. That's for 30, 4.7/0.7mg buccal films. So the program will end up saving me over $500.00 a month!
Now, I'm sure some of you are wondering how do I like this new medication. I think it works exactly like it's supposed to. I can't complain. I'm using the medication to get and stay clean and it really works. I have no cravings.
My boyfriend and I share my medication. We couldn't afford for both of us to go to the doctor at this time, so we're just sharing the medicine since I got prescribed two films a day. When we would take suboxone off the street, we would share one 8mg film. Now we each get the 4.7 mg film of Bunavail and I wouldn't change it. We have tried cutting one of the Bunavail films and sharing it and they still work.
If you want to get clean, this is the way to go. Thanks for listening and if you have any questions, just ask!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't recommend bunavail personally. It is somewhat difficult and more uncomfortable, due to the long time it takes to dissolve on your cheek. Also, I found that my constipation was worse, from this product, because I was forced to swallow pieces of the film that would not completely dissolve, and this meant that the bupe was going into my stomach and intestines and therefore, created more of a constipation side effect.

Personally, I don't recommend it over suboxone or zubsolv. I have tried all three of them and actually prefer zubsolv because it dissolves so quickly. If I had a choice i would probably choose zubsolv. But I just stick with the strips because the pharmacy always has them in stock and I am just used to taking them. Sub and zubsolv are exactly the same price at walgreens(for obvious reasons that big pharma doesn't want you to know about) so I just stick with suboxone.