It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New - Buf Ny
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey there, new to the forum. I am suboxone user for a month now. I started using it because I wanted to get off opiates such as oxycontin, opana, and tabs. Mostly because i am starting school and because they are a horrible drug to get hooked on. I started off taking a whole one and took it down to a half, but with one slip up i was back at a whole. I haven't use since cus i know where it will take me again. I happy that i take the suboxone because i live my life and enjoy the lil opiate i do have. But buy the look of everyone response on here it seems like you all go through a tough withdrawl and im not looking to do that again so i may be tapering down quicker than before. But i kinda still need the subs because it is my fix for the day and knowing that i can't get high because of the sub helps a lot. hopfully with in the next 2 months ill be completely drug free. stay clean everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, if you really go through the posts you will see that quick tapers are not the answer.Most people wind up relapsing if they push themselves to get off of Suboxone too quickly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

nope i agree 100%. i did also say i was going to stay on because its my fix for the day and i know i can't get high, exactly what happen to me when i stop taking it.. days when by without it and one of those days rolled around and i wanted to get high. its just unfortunate that you have to be put through w/ds

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just a suggestion, but I don't think referring to Suboxone as your "fix" for the day is really a positive term to use. When you refer to the medication that is aiding you in your recovery as a word you used in your active addiction, it is counter-productive.Also, are you involved in any treatment or addiction support meetings? Just taking Suboxone alone is not going to help you address why you used drugs in the first place. We do have support meetings on here if you are interested.
And you said that it is unfortunate that you have to be put through withdrawals.Yeah, I guess that's true but if you did not experience any suffering, would you realize you had a problem? Probably not. Then there would never be a reason to stop using, would there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well i used "fixed" because at the time i was still early into suboxone ( and still am only been on it fro about 2months now ) but at the time i was still craving and if i didnt take subs i would have most likely used pain killers so i consider sub my "fixed" aid however you want to word it :) and yes i dont if this is a state law? but in NY you have to be apart of some support system in order to get prescribe suboxone. my dr. isn't a hugeeee help but her wife is my counsler that i visit about once every week or two weeks and i see him once a month. Yes i would be very interested in your guys group. is it a chat room that you meet at? and true about the w/d thing u said. for anything too amazing this is always a extreme negative effect. thx for ur help. please leave info on the support group

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi and welcome. I have had 2 previous experiences coming off of Suboxone and on both occasions, there was no tapering involved. I had simply run out of my rx and never continued. I never went thru any serious withdrawl from Suboxone. Both times, the only problem I dealt with was the minor anxiety attacks which went away after some meditation and slow breathing. Now, I am back on Suboxone due to relapses and I feel great. I have no plans for tapering for at least 6 months. To me, Addiction is alot like the diabetes I have. I can manage the physical illness with medication and support groups, such as this. My very best to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Len,
I sure hope that mainstream society starts to see opiate addiction as a disease that can be managed with medication (Suboxone) like you've mentioned. I've thought alot about whether or not Suboxone is a good thing before starting on it and I was very skeptical at first after having been involved in abstinence based 12-step programs but after relapses and simply not feeling "normal" even after 4 months of continuos abstinence from all drugs I changed my mind. I was so relieved to feel normal again after starting on Sub I still remember what an amazing feeling it was to not be stressed about where I was going to get my next fix and yet not feeling like I was constantly on the edge, white knuckling it and so close to relapse like I had been while trying the 12-stepper's way of life. Anyways maybe things will change eventually and Suboxone patients won't be viewed as somehow not quite "clean" but for now I sure am glad that both you and I have found a way to stop using and lead a relatively "normal" life :)