It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New borns and nas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
I am a new member to this site but have read every pregnancy related post since becoming pregnant. I just had my son Monday March 13th 2017. I was on subutext my whole pregnancy. My question to anyone with any experience with subutext and pregnancy is when did your baby start showing signs of nas and what symptoms did they have And did they need medication for it? If so, how long was your hospital stay? Thanks in advance for any help. This has been on my mind for 9 months.

Post subject: Re: New borns and nas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Depending on your dose...that may be a key part..but I would safely bet you're taking less than 8-12mg per day..

With that in mind, from what I've seen other people say here..you shouldn't see any significant problems.
And if you'll breastfeed ..even if not but a couple times a day..it will help with the little one's weaning from buprenorphine.

But it's not a must.
There should not be any problem that presents itself to cause a need for medication...
I don't think I've read any pregnancy stories here that had that..
Now granted...I'm not a female..so I haven't had any kids myself...
But I've helped create 5...and I'm a father of 4. The 5th was an ectopic that had to be terminated at 6 weeks.

So, while I haven't directly had any experience..but had plenty of experience at creating them...I can only relay what I've read.

Ask me something like "how embarrassing is it to have to ejaculate into a cup for a sperm count test"...
Now THAT I can answer. Between our 1st baby...in 2001, and our 2nd baby, 2004...we thought something was wrong and went for fertility help...

Turns out, nothing was wrong..and we quit the fertility crap after that ectopic pregnancy. We decided if it happened, it happened. If not, then so be it.

Enjoy that little one..and don't worry about anything ...he/she should be just fine.
Cherish those times you have right now. Every middle-of-the-night bottle..every tiny smile...
A sleeping baby you can hold in one arm...
It doesn't last!!!

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was taking anywhere between 8-10mg a day, just depending on how I felt that day. Breastfeeding is not an option for me unfortunately. So far minimal withdrawal symptoms have been present. He has sneezing I feel is related to withdraw, he did have excessive sucking but I switched his bottle nipple too slow flow and that has went down a lot. He had a very startled reflex but that is getting better by the day. That's all I've noticed. The pediatric doctor said none of the nurses have reported any symptoms. They haven't felt the need to start scoring. So unless something drastically changes by Saturday he will be released on his 5th day. I am very hopeful that he will not show symptoms to cause concern. But I don't want to get my hopes up to much.Johnathanm1978 I am glad everything worked out for you and sorry for your loss. Thank you for your input.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Zaidens mom wrote:
I was taking anywhere between 8-10mg a day, just depending on how I felt that day. Breastfeeding is not an option for me unfortunately. So far minimal withdrawal symptoms have been present. He has sneezing I feel is related to withdraw, he did have excessive sucking but I switched his bottle nipple too slow flow and that has went down a lot. He had a very startled reflex but that is getting better by the day. That's all I've noticed. The pediatric doctor said none of the nurses have reported any symptoms. They haven't felt the need to start scoring. So unless something drastically changes by Saturday he will be released on his 5th day. I am very hopeful that he will not show symptoms to cause concern. But I don't want to get my hopes up to much.Johnathanm1978 I am glad everything worked out for you and sorry for your loss. Thank you for your input.

I'll be honest -- it sounds like you're just the basic overprotective mom looking out for that baby. And that's to be expected. First child?? I assume yes...
Nothing at all wrong with that.

When my 4th baby was in NICU for 10 days back in 2012, I remember the first night we came home to sleep (after 3 days in, we were exhausted)...
I made it about 4 miles from the hospital before I broke down crying, while driving in the middle of rush hour traffic.
Just didn't want to leave our baby there...

She's fine ..everything worked out. She had breathing probs and needed 10 days in NICU...
That doesn't mean we didn't do plenty of worrying and such.

I'd place a large bet on you being home Saturday!!!

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations Z mom,
Two of my moms have had NAS treated. Treatment started by the 3rd day in each. Both were taking 8 mg a day or more. The other 10 that have had babies had either very mild or no withdrawals and did not require treatment. Some were taking as much as 16 mg a day, none less than 4. So my experience isn't much but I think Z is probably out of the woods at this point.
I think you got lucky with your treatment team, they sound pretty laid back.
Keep us informed, like you said in your first post you read all the pregnancy posts here. Yours will be a valuable addition regardless of outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 am 

Zmom u can't get much better than a doctor answering u! That should really comfort u in ur worry. Thank u docm2.

I agree that ur probably overly worrying, and that's 100% understandable and I would be too. I think if ur baby was born on Monday, and there's nothing noticeable yet, ur baby will be home by Saturday! At home in his nursery :)

Congrats on ur new baby!