It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to update everyone here on my status. Though I am very busy (typing with one hand while I hold my new baby with the other one - lol) I felt it very important to take a moment to post my SUCCESSFUL "Subutex/Suboxone and Pregnancy" story here on suboxforum! My intention is only to ease the minds of the pregnant mothers like me who worried myself silly over the possible effects of the subs on baby, the possible "trouble" I might have with CPS or the hospital/staff when I gave birth, and the possible withdrawal of my baby after birth from the subs. Though there could've been several problems, there were none. I had a great birthing experience, my baby was born healthy with no w/d symptoms, and I was given NO problems at the hospital or otherwise! :)

I was induced Tuesday morning (at 40 weeks gestation - full term) and chose to skip my Subutex dose for just that morning. We arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am & registration took about 30 minutes. During the registration, staff got a complete rundown of all my current medications including my 2mg/day of Subutex. I was completely honest with all the staff and have been honest thus far with my OB as well, so everyone knew of my Subutex use.

At about 8:30 am started fluids in an IV along with some Pitocen to begin to speed up my contractions. I had already begun to dialate before I went in for induction and so the pitocen was just to ease things along. At about 10:00 am my doctor broke my water and so the contractions began to get more intense and closer together. By noon I had requested my epidural and by 1:00 pm I was more comfortable and able to relax with the epidural working just fine. At 6:30 pm I felt the epidural wearing off but it was too late to get it adjusted because I was fully dialated and ready to begin pushing. My baby was born within about 45 minutes.

He is a big boy - weighing over 9lbs and totally healthy! I was immediatly given the chance to hold and bond with baby (along with my husband) for nearly an hour after he was born. Since he was born so late in the evening, I was given a little extra time with him before the next shift of staff came in to take him for bathing and shots. After he was checked out they moved us to a maternity room. That night I rested comfortably with baby in the room. All three of us (me, my husband, and baby) slept like BABIES!!! LOL!

The next morning the pediatrician came around to speak with us and he proclaimed that after his complete examination, my baby was completely healthy. There were NO signs of w/d at all and no medical issues otherwise. We were to be released the following morning - after staying the required 36 hours in the hospital. And sure enough, the next morning we were both discharged and sent home.

Nobody from CPS visited us. Nobody even said a word about anything like that. NOTHING.

We're adjusting to life with a new baby - my other children are also adjusting - and I'm recovering from a successful but painful childbirthing experience. I'm so happy and realize that though we're very LUCKY to have had such good fortune, that I am not the exception... my story is probably the most likely outcome of this type of situation. I believe that because we were so honest, that my doctors were able to prepare. They treated me with complete dignaty and respect. There was no whispers, hard looks, or ill treatment from the staff.

I had a wonderful expereince. The nurses were all SO very nice and helpful. The doctors were kind and understanding. I couldn't have asked for a better set of people or a better outcome.

There IS hope. I am still on Subutex for now. I will be able to also begin weaning when I feel like I am ready. This pregnancy I got myself down to 2mg/day from 16mg/day. If there is another woman that can find comfort in my experience then I'm glad I took the time to post it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

YAY! I messaged you on bbc and was waiting to hear back from you! I was getting worried! Im so glad you posted here! I knew everything would be great! Im so happy for you! congrats congrats congrats!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you very much for taking the time to update! I'm sure you're pretty busy with a newborn. You story definetly made me relax slightly. Congradulations on becomming a mommy! Nine pounds, wow! He was a big boy! Thats great, I am so happy for you sweetheart.
If you don't mind me asking what state are you in?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:01 pm 
I am SO happy for you. Thanks for posting a story that is sure to reassure other expectant Moms. I wish you and your family all the best.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone! RTLmom, I haven't gotten on BBC yet - but thank you for your support too! I can't wait to post an update there too. And for Abby, I'm in NC.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

So happy to see that you ONLY needed 2mg by the time you gave birth... Thats whats important about your post ( to me anywhy ) Getting below 2mg is so very tough, thats where I stuck at... I did not write this post to be rude or mean in anywhay, only that hospital people freak out about suboxone, Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, pregnancy was the best motivator for me to get my dose down to 2mg. I worried myself so much during the pregnancy even trying to wean completely at one point but it was too stressful on my body. I did find that trying to go below 2mg was the TOUGHEST part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm so relieved to hear about your experience. The comments on this board have motivated me to talk with my Dr. tomorrow before the c-section is done just to make sure there are no suprises! My greatest worry is they will take my baby away and place her in the NICU out of fear.
Also, I did find going below 2mg the hardest of all. I was at 2mg 3 mos ago and have slowly decreased my dose to .25mg/d and been having issues with depression, cravings, sweats, etc. ever since. I feel so claustorphobic at night like I can't breath or get enough air in, yawning constantly- I have this feeling like I'll never feel good again and didn't even think about it being the sub withdrawal because I thought my body would have adjusted to the decrease within a week or so.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 pm 
Just wanted to say a quick "Congratulations!" to you, Sunshinepromise. And a thank you.....from someone who worked hard for many years as a labor and delivery nurse, it is very refreshing to read stories from people like you. People who have done their homework, reported their history accurately, done all they can to ensure a good outcome (including expecting one) and is then kind enough to come back and report their wonderfully positive experiences with their healthcare team! This happens thousands of times every single day. But, unfortunately, what gets talked about, posted about and hyped about the most, are the relatively few (in comparison) who have a difficult or negative experience along the way.
So.....again, thank you and congratulations! Enjoy every precious moment with that baby! They go by way too fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is a great story-and I'm so glad that you posted it. It does give all of us pregnant women hope that a smooth labor and delivery is possible!

I wish there was a way to pinpoint why (or a number of reasons why) some experiences go badly and end up with prolonged NICU stays and CPS involvement, and others don't. That way perhaps we could develop a 'what to do and what not to do' list for future pregnant sub moms. Thus far, I'm not seeing any patterns, though!

Last week, I remember someone posting that a 72-hour NICU stay was considered 'normal/mandatory' for all babies born to moms taking sub---to see if withdrawals occurred, etc. It doesn't appear as if the OP experienced this---could someone clarify for me? Is the 72-hour NICU stay something that may be considered mandatory hospital by hospital? Pediatrician by pediatrician? It's on my list of 'questions to ask' at my next ob/gyn visit, but I wondered if there were published guidelines somewhere.

Anyhow, congratulations Sunshinepromise on your wonderful birth and new family. Enjoy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hope - that is an excellent question and one that I also wondered about before and after my experience. It might be noted that the hospital I delivered at did not have a NICU unit... (smallish town but close by to a large city) So perhaps it was the call of the pediatrician to whether or not a baby shows signs of NAS and with that information making a decision to move the baby to a hospital with a NICU. Since my baby didn't exibit signs of w/d then perhaps it was a non-issue?

Also, since Subutex is SO new (at least where I'm from, I'm the first woman in the county to deliver a baby while taking Subutex!) then maybe it doesn't carry the same stigma as Methadone. My friend delivered a baby on Methadone and STILL had no problems with CPS being involved. So perhaps it is the area? The hospital? The staff (ped, nurses, OBs?)?

It would be helpful to know if there were commonalities amongst the women who do encounter problems with social services or with hospitals taking infants to the NICU "just in case". My friend that I mentioned who delivered a baby on Methadone also just delivered her second child on Subutex (different area) yet still had an experience much like mine. It does seem that her past history would be enough to warrant more concern from the professionals involved, but it didn't.

It is CURIOUS!

Post subject: Three day layover??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

sunshinepromise,
I purposely looked through the topics for a story just like yours, so I could gain an understanding of pregnancy and suboxone. I am currently on suboxone, but desperately attempting to get pregnant. I'm 37, newly married, and so far neither of us have any children. We both want just one. However, of course we are both concerned regarding the whole w/d issues and the baby and even me. I do not want to tapper off; I like my subs and I do want to give them up.
I was once too on subutex via the methadone clinic and so I know about the three day layover (just like suboxone has). After reading your post I couldn't help but wonder about the w/d of your baby after three days. You had mentioned your baby had no signs of w/d after birth, but in reality there would be no w/d for three days, so of course your baby wasn't with-drawling. The OH SO important question I have is what about after the three day layover passes? Then what? Did you take your baby back to the doctor for a check~up on the fourth day (when the w/d would have truly begun)?
That is my concern.
Awaiting your response.
Jennifer V

Post subject: sunshinepromise
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats!! I'm so happy to hear your story. Im due in a few weeks and have the same stress you have felt. I do have a question for you. Are you breast feeding? Did you start after baby's birth? Did you take your sub dose the day after baby's birth? I was wondering when to take the sub again after birth? Thank you again for sharing your story!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, my experience isn't from the woman's side...I'm the one on Suboxone...but I gotta say, just a little over 1 year ago we had our introduction with our last baby girl..Reagan. And Suboxone ...thank God..made me focus more on the baby for the entire time she was in the hospital + NICU ...which totaled 12 days in all... The child prior to her, I was still in active addiction. He was born about 2 weeks early and needed to stay in the hospital, though it wasn't NICU...just to make sure he was breathing ok before going home. I was so preoccupied with my pills and chasing them, that my wife hardly got to bond with him at all while he was in the hospital. I think that hurt her pretty badly, that I didn't want to go be with my son, and she couldn't go see her newborn boy after only being with him for 2 days after he was born...she was discharged and had to leave. I was such a son-of-a-bitch that I wouldn't take her to the hospital but once/twice a day for a couple hours...the rest of the time I spent running around hunting pills...because "they made me such a better person and I could get more energy"....<---blah blah bullshit....

The child before that...which was #2 out of 4...he had a bad NICU stay to begin with. I wasn't on pills when he was BORN..but I WAS on them when he got to come home...so I started heavily taking lortabs again...after being clean for 4 years....when my 2nd son was in NICU. The very night he was born...he had to be transported, via ambulance...because he was retracting and had a pneumothorax. Pretty dangerous stuff if untreated, and he spent 13 days in NICU...and I had to work the entire time except weekends because I had just started that job at Honda Manufacturing...making cars. But the night he came into the world, when the ambulance came to pick him up...I came home, got clothes, and picked up my mom <--big mistake. My mom intro'd me to the pill dealer that I dealt with for years. And my mom had pills when I picked her up that night...and that's where I got started back on them after staying away for 4 years...
So that NICU visit was racked with me as high as a kite...eating pills like candy..and began the slow decline to me losing my job. Luckily, my son came home after his 13 day NICU stay..on Dec 20. So Christmas wasn't spent in the NICU...but I had started something bad..that led me down a near-death road.

But with Reagan, last year...I was focused..I was VERY emotional though. And I am not sure if I can blame that totally on the Suboxone. We spent the first day that she was born in the hospital where she came into the world..via c-section. It had been a VERY long night, because her water broke around 8:30pm that evening..and when she woke me up at 3am...it was time to GO. Contractions had started and she wasn't 100% that her water had broken. All the other kids were induced labor...none went until the water broke..so only that part was new. But we went to ER at 3am...straight to the L&D. She was announced at 1:14pm on 2/17/12...and daddy got to hold his baby girl and walked her from operating room...past everyone who was waiting...up to the nursery. I spent every minute I could in there...aside from checking on my wife to make sure she was ok. And when they wheeled her up from recovery, beside the nursery window...I got to hold up our baby for her to see...and also walked her to the door. But, there was a problem...I didn't tell my wife right away...but her O2 sats weren't coming up like they should've. I had seen that before..knew that it could lead to something we didn't want too...and eventually it did. That evening, the doctor came in around 6pm...said that her O2 sats were steady with 90% under the hood..so they would watch her through the night...but if not better the next day we would have to weigh our options.

Next day..around 6pm, they made the call and brought us the papers to sign....had the transport on the way to take her to NICU, an hour away. That began an emotional roller coaster for me....I literally had tears come up when he said she had to go. I think fear was the main thing...scared..but I wanted my little girl at home!!

It was even worse when my wife and I went up to NICU 2 days later (I went by myself the first night and stayed with her)...came back and took my wife the next day when she was d/c...then we had to come home. OMG, that was it for me. I broke down driving home..and cried like a baby!!
What really got me going was when that one song came on the radio while I was driving home... "Darius Rucker - It won't be like this for long"....
It still makes me tear up a little when I hear it...and think back on all the things that have gone by way too fast with just my 1 year old...
all that said..ENJOY it....you have other kids so I'm sure you know...but I spent every minute I could sleeping with her on my chest...rocking her to sleep..feeding her...all the things I missed when I was too busy chasing pills...and none of the other 3 kids ever bonded to me like this one child has. She loves me dearly..and still, at 1.5 years old...her momma can't put her to sleep at night. Daddy has to do it or she pitches a FIT!!
I love 'em all...but Reagan...she's the last one...and the one that I'm not high and missing out on the early stages.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.